I was 16 when GBII hit the cinema. I walked to the theater after school and waited from 4:30 to 6:00 in a lineup until they opened the doors. The show started at 6:30 and some people were turned away because it was only playing on one screen.
I ended up seeing it 5 times before it left cinemas.
My friend Ryan Pominville posted these pics to his FB page today. He went looking for them after learning of Ramis’ passing on Monday.
Ryan is someone I’ve known via snail-mail for decades, though we’ve never yet met in person. I had nearly forgotten something he told me about back in the day… He was actually in attendance at the GB2 premiere!
Alas, his pics are blurry to begin with, and these are just phone photos taken of the old prints, but I’ve cleaned them up as best I can. Hopefully he can get them scanned at some point or locate the negatives for me.
This pic shows the arrival of Bill Murray (in the grey-ish pants), Harold Ramis (dark suit), and Ernie Hudson (white suit, partially obscured by what I presume is Ernie’s wife).
This pic shows an Ecto, but it looks like a replica to me.
And this is a hybrid I made of the two pics combined, just to show the whole scene at once.
You know, I never understood why people didn’t like Ghostbusters II. Other than a couple character inconsistencies (Janine, you’ve changed!), it always seemed like a pretty solid flick to me.
(Slightly off topic, but it’s still funny to me that Rob Lowe got such shit for a sex tape. If he came out with one today he’d have his own reality tv show and shoe line.)
So, my pal Ryan who was at the premiere of GB2 just discovered the deleted scene with Eugene Levy for the first time, and we were discussing it on Facebook.
And it prompted his memory of a forgotten detail… namely that Levy was in attendance at the premiere as well. He had always assumed he was just there as a celebrity and friend of the cast, he never knew he was an excised member of the cast.
Geez, I hope poor Levy knew his scene had been cut before he saw the film for the first time.
This is a picture that Sexy Sadie posted in another thread…
I think it’s almost certainly another premiere photo. Look at the way his tie is knotted, as seen in the People magazine writeup.
Nice find, Sadie. The only previous color pic of Ramis from the premiere was this blurry snapshot taken by my friend Ryan Pominville, who was standing across the street.
Harold’s the dark-suited blob lined up with the rear tire of the white vehicle.
I mistakenly said “hot thermal beverage mug” when the camera was rolling, and didn’t catch it until I was editing. So I cut-and-pasted the audio snippets around to correct it. Luckily my face was blurred at the time.
I’d love to find one like yours, and also one closer to what was seen in the film, with the white mug and black label.
A regret today, seemed right at the time. I had a “Ghostbusters II mug” like above and as seen in Ghostbusters II. I broke it on a purpose (hard to believe in my 30s as a ghosthead and collector) in my old backyard when I was barely a teenager. It wash’t just “teen angst.” I was going through some personal things in my life, things that aren’t always the norm when you haven’t been through it at 12.
I’ve got one of those things too. Bought it at a local Hills department store in 1989. Bought a lot of stuff at that Hills, including many of my RGB figures–but the store closed a couple years later.
I used the mug for a long time, but then got afraid too because “It’s so old and collectible–wouldn’t want to take a chance with it” :lol:
Comparing the two images, it looks like People had to airbrush the poster Ramis is holding due to a glare. It’s also highly reflective of the hot beverage thermal mugs, so it was possibly shrink-wrapped with a glossy plastic coating.
Which makes me wonder if the wall detail above Egon’s head is a reflection in the pic of Ramis holding the poster, or airbrushed out of the image found in the PDF.
I guess it’s another reason to watch the movie and pay attention to the set instead of the actors.