Ghostbusters 2 Premiere - Thursday June 15, 1989

Sherman, set the Wayback Machine for June 15, 1989…

PRE-PREMIERE

Dan Aykroyd and Bill Murray spent their afternoon in Burbank taping an appearance as the first and second guests on The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson, which was broadcast later that night.

They had to leave early to get to the premiere of their movie at the famous Chinese Theatre in Hollywood.

They shook hands with Johnny and his sidekick Ed McMahon as they departed to a rather brassy rendition of Ray Parker Jr.'s ‘Ghostbusters’ by the Tonight Show orchestra, leaving Johnny’s third guest, comedian Kevin Meaney, with the remainder of the show’s time to himself.

THE PREMIERE

According to the LA Times’ Jeannine Stein, in an article that ran a few days later, the ‘premiere chairman’ for the event was Judy Ovitz, wife of powerful Hollywood agent Michael Ovitz, and herself a cast member of the film. Tickets for the event, which benefitted St. John’s Hospital, warned “Be there or be slimed!”

The event consisted of the screening itself at the Chinese, followed by an after party at the Palladium. Tickets cost $350, and Ovitz hoped they would raise $500,000 that night to purchase St. John’s Hospital in Santa Monica a piece of gynecological treatment equipment called a Selectron Remote Afterloader.

Obligatory film quote: “I’d like to run some gynecological tests on the mother.” “Who wouldn’t?”

THE SCREENING AT THE CHINESE

Some of the celebrities in attendance:

Dan Aykroyd and wife Donna Dixon

Kevin Bacon and a pregnant Kyra Sedgwick (no relation to the Sedgewick Hotel)

l to r: Sigourney Weaver, Ivan Reitman, his wife Genevieve Robert, Sig’s husband Jim Simpson

Another cool photo op:

Paula Abdul

Robert Downey Jr. and Sarah Jessica Parker

Bobby Brown, his entourage, and date Karyn White

Christine Lahti and her husband, director Tommy Schlamme

Alana Hamilton and son Ashley

Sally Field and her then-husband, producer Alan Greisman

Ron Howard

Cast-member Cheech Marin and his family

Khrystyne Haje (played Simone on the TV show Head of the Class)

Howie Mandel

Pebbles

John Forsythe (who had appeared the year before with Bill Murray in Scrooged)

Ernie Hudson

Caddyshack alums Rodney Dangerfield and Bill Murray


The LA Times also reported the following folks in attendance, but I found no photos so far:

Annie Potts; Pat Weaver (Sigourney's Dad and the man who invented the talk show format); James Woods and Sarah Owen; Columbia chief Dawn Steel; Jon Lovitz; Phil Hartman; Norman Lear; Penny Marshall; Candy and Aaron Spelling; Barbara and Marvin Davis; Catherine O'Hara; Sydney Pollack; CAA chief Michael Ovitz; and "a handful of nuns from St. John's."

Noticeably NOT in attendance was actor Rob Lowe, someone who HAD attended the premiere of the first film in 1984 (with date Melissa Gilbert). Lowe had become the subject of a sex tape controversy the year before, which reporter Jeannine Stein states was a conversation topic the entire night: "Have you seen the Rob Lowe tape?"

<B>**THE AFTER PARTY AT THE PALLADIUM**</B>

The lobby was decorated something like Disneyland's Haunted Mansion, with costumed 'statues'.

![image](https://sphotos-a.■■.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/942059_415185181928384_788013008_n.jpg)

There was also a New Year's Eve theme to the night, inspired by the movie's finale.

![image](https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/1017170_415906578522911_533598173_n.jpg)

The LA Times said of the food: "Along Came Mary catered a family-style dinner (everyone serves himself from huge platters) that included jumbo prawns with apple cider and mustard sauce, boneless breast of chicken stuffed with ricotta sage filling, baby asparagus, yellow squash and mushrooms and a peach and blueberry <I>*feuillette*</I> with puff pastry shells, creme Anglaise and vanilla ice cream. Thankfully, there was no theme food, like slime punch."

I was surprised to learn in Stein's writeup that Howard Huntsberry, who covers Jackie Wilson's "Higher and Higher" on the GB2 soundtrack, had previously played Wilson "with dead-on accuracy" in 1987's La Bamba.

Huntsberry was on hand as part of the evening's entertainment, following a big band that played throughout dinner, and succeeded by an impromptu number by Dan Aykroyd, who said as he left for the evening: "I've done all the press, I have nothing to say, I had a good time."

As guests departed they were handed a copy of the GB2 novel, a "hot beverage thermal mug", a GB2 logo pin and a noise-making toy-- the description of which suggests one of the Hardee's Ghost Blasters, which were later recalled because children could aspirate the tiny batteries.

Harold Ramis decided to take home at least one other souvenir from among the decorations.

![image](https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/19888_415906581856244_651676360_n.jpg)

I had wondered in the past why Harold Ramis alone had not done a cameo in the music video for Run-DMC's Ghostbusters Rap (Aykroyd, Murray, Hudson, Potts, and Weaver all appear in it), and a possible answer comes from the July 3rd People Magazine article about the premiere, author unknown.

"Despite the rumors that I was in New York having a nose job, the fact is, I had some gallstones removed," Ramis stated.

"And tonight we're going to auction them off!" added Aykroyd.

The People article ends with a slightly prophetic quote.

![image](https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/1005061_415906781856224_1049912861_n.jpg)

Compiled by Alex Newborn

Sources:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zz4mkDyB1cQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGGCsCUSqrM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqLbThZlPsM

http://articles.latimes.com/1989-06-19/news/vw-1750_1_paula-abdul-ghostbusters-ii-screening

http://www.gettyimages.com/Search/Search.aspx?contractUrl=2&assetType=image&family=Editorial&p=ghostbusters+premiere

image

image

image

Alex

image

Their son, Travis Sedgwick Bacon, was born on June 23rd, 1989.

Alex

awesome, you the man

Poor Ivan Reitman has a real Jerry Seinfeld crossed with Tom Petty vibe in those pics. Thanks for sharing. Kinda funny to see who showed up for the premiere.

Here’s one I forgot… TV actress Claire Yarlett was also in attendance that night. Easy to overlook, as I had no idea who she was until I looked her up on the imdb.

image


Also, found a pic or two from the GB1 premiere in '84 of Raw Blow... oh, sorry... I meant 'Rob Lowe' and Melissa Gilbert. He must've been laying low in '89 after his sex tape scandal in '88.

![image](https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/1000071_416850768428492_544203541_n.jpg)

![image](https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/1005264_416850761761826_585818109_n.jpg)

Here's some video footage from THAT premiere if you're interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NC7RF1UIiOE

Jump to 2:36 for Lowe and Gilbert.

Alex

A few more pics in here, plus the rather ‘fluff’ soundbytes from the Mtv footage.

Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3Kq-IRvqFg

Alex

Nice!

I’ve got one I can add, not of the missing people you listed, just Dan and Donna from another angle;

image

Thanks for you time on this Alex,never seen any of these pics a great contribution :wink:

When I saw the first tv spot for GB2 go across the screen I went nuts! I was 5 at the time and from then on GB2 has always had a special place in my heart! Still to this day it’s with me everywhere I go, when bad things happen I think about my favorite movie to take the edge off the issue! I want to thank you Alex for posting all this stuff that I missed back then, all this stuff you have on GB2 is a gold mine to me! I wish I had more than I do, but what I do have is also a treasure to me! So again thank you Alex for all these posts, they have helped me get through some rough stuff in the last year!

These photos and video clips are great thanks for posting them!

Ghostbusters 2 1/2,huh? GB:TVG?!

CONSPIRACY!

***

THANK YOU! smooch***

2 Likes

Oh, yes. Just what I needed to hear! j/k

Anyone have a hookup for that poster of Egon? I would love to have that hanging on a wall!

Wonder if Ramis kept those gallstones…?

One for the books. Really one for the books!

2 Likes

An interesting piece of memorabilia from the premiere of the first film has come to light in this thread (http://www.gbfans.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=34934&p=461602#p461602) and it informs me that BOTH premieres benefited the same hospital.

image

Alex

What a great thread. I need to venture out of the proton pack/building sections more often!

This is a freaking great thread. Well done!