Found this posted over on Joystiq. I searched for this posted already but didn’t find anything. If it is already listed, apologies. This would definitely pay off the loans!!
I think sales like this should open the doors to the second game. Atari’s best franchise now is ghosbusters with them losing dragonball. Lets hope
atari did a great job with the game.. and they should stick to gb..but why are they losing the rights to dragonball?..i have budokai tenkachi 3 and it was an awesome game!
Many in Europe and Austrailia disagree strongly with this comment.
I’m immediately concerned by talk that any potential future game might tie into a third movie, if it were ever made. The track record for game adaptations of movies is “alright” to “awful” because of the escalated timeline, and I’m not convinced Terminal Reality could produce as quality a product if it had to be out for a movie release.
They operate best when they have a lot of time to work with, not when there’s a specific deadline.
Someone else got the title.
Also on a GB sequel I think it’d be cool if terminal Reality instead of following the movie they opened up the GB franchise. THey opened up a whole new era for the ghostbusters universe with an actual franchise and not just a fan made franchise. Maybe it’s just me but I’d like to see what Atari and TR would do with the ghostbusters if they were in say LA. Following a more customization setting with choosing your team and stuff.
Definitely. I wouldn’t have a problem with another game release timed with the next movie, but the storyline would need to be different. Not a re-hashed movie plot. The game needs to leave the original Ghostbusters behind and take place in another city with some new 'busters. Possibly combining both franchises for the climax of the game.This way the game can go in one direction and the movie can go in another. New city, new busters, new upgrades for the proton pack…
Can’t say I’m a huge fan of this “game follows a new franchise” idea.
Ghostbusters is a New York property foremost, and there aren’t many other skylines as interesting as Manhattan. Even history-wise, the Big Apple has more unmined potential than most other American cities.
Miami, Pittsburgh, Houston, Cincinatti. They work in fanfiction because they have the time to make those cities interesting and delve into their history, the timespan of a game is not enough to make them as fun to play in as NYC.
And I also feel that a new franchise, not previously established in any of the other parts of the property, would be significantly less appealing.
We’re not going to get many games, we may not even get another. I’d rather it spent time expanding on what we already had rather then throwing in some new people we might wind up resenting for robbing is of another opportunity to see the established boys in tan.
Heck, I’d rather a fanfic team like the WCGB be given their own Ghostbusters videogame then a new buch of nobodies. It’d be established and the team wouldn’t suck.
But that’s me.
Not soo sure how practical a “choose your team” engine would be to implement in a game similar to TVG. Dialogue alone would be difficule if you could choose and change your cast list. It’s a lot more difficult to implement.
Problem is Kingpin is that any new games which feature a new team depend on the original actors wanting to reprise their roles in full time voice acting work. We all heard how long the script was for this game and that wasn’t exactly a long game in itself.
Making it revolve around new member is a new city means they have the freedom to paint a blank canvass as such with a character already introduced as the starting point. Also you can make a city interesting over 10 hours of gameplay if you really want to. I also disagree with the comment that New York has more unmined potential history wise, there are many great American cities which can be used. Plus, for New York to keep being the focal point would be repetative.
The game was the third installment of the story and is trying to introduce the fact that Ghostbusters franchise is expanding. The cartoons and comics wern’t part of the canon storyline which means they can be disregarded in terms of what follows the game. So then, for you to say that a new team haven’t been introduced in other parts of the property misses the point that the Rookie will be the first to open up a new Ghostbusters in whatever city they choose. And to comment that any new team would ‘suck’, despite the fact that they haven’t even been created sounds a little sulky because you don’t want this to happen (even though you may not intend to sound that way).
And now they know how they could push things a bit more if the need required it. Plus I think Aykroyd, Murray and co would be happy to do one more (realistically, we’ll probably only get one more if there’s a sequel game).
But future Ghostbusters games could go the routes of cartoons and comics have, and even the Wii version, with then creating a set of likenesses which would be for the game series. That automatically means more Ghostbusters games can be done with the original four.
I don’t honestly think the Rookie was intended to be used to actually form a franchise in another city in another hypothetical game. If they’d seriously intended that they wouldn’t have gone for the silent treatement.
Well, how many Manhattan landmarks did we actually see in the game? We had the Library, Empire State and Chrysler Buildings, Times Square and Central Park. Whilst the game did reveal some of the city’s past, that was a part of the larger plot…
I honestly can’t see a game set in Miami making that city look any more interesting, without portraying it to be as shallow and materialistic as seen in CSI:Miami. I don’t know how true that depiction is, but it’s made me bored enough of that city to hope a Ghostbusters game is never set there.
About the only city that could work is Chicago, because it has a mix of old and new skyscrapers in its skyline as well as it’s gangster-laiden past.
Maybe, but with Gozer’s arrival probably upsetting the normal balance there, it’s not as contrived an idea that New York is now more supernaturally sensitive.
It didn’t really, it made mention of “franchises coming soon”, but it was more of an afterthought. It didn’t go out of its way to seriously established another Ghostbusters office beyond references in the dialogue. I wouldn’t expect anything to come of it if a new game is made tying into a third movie.
I didn’t say they’d automatically suck because they were a new team, but there’s plenty of danger they’d be more likely to be a bad addition to the franchise then a new one.
Damn straight. I’m far more interested in keeping the gameplay in New York with the Manhattan franchise. That’s a place I want to bust ghosts in.
Kingpin, why can’t the rookie move onward into a taling roll in the next game? Call of Duty 4 you play as Soap In the SAS he’s a silent never seen guy but in Modern Warfare 2 Soap is your commanding officer now with a speaking roll and actually has a face. So if Soap can get a face and voice why can’t The Rookie get a name and voice? It’s easier to get a new name than a new face.
Also I like New York but why can’t you see potential in other cities? There’s history in every city in america, I think a story in the likes of LA, Boston or Miami would be a nice change to the ghostbusters universe.
I know what you mean with the gamble of a new team but as long as they focus on character and not be forcefully racially correct as Extreme ghostbusters. Then I think it’d work out well.
I guess it’d be a bit weird to have a person modelled off of Ryan French but not voiced by him… the bigger issue is that as soon as the Rookie becomes his own person rather than an avatar for us, you then have to start worrying about likeness rights and character copyright. I’m sure French wouldn’t have a problem with it, but that’s a few more hurdles if he’s to become an all-talking, all-dancing main character.
I get your point about Call of Duty, something similar was also employed with Jak in Jak & Daxter, but with Call of Duty, that’s a character invented for the game who isn’t based specifically off of a real life actor.
Then there’s the other bit, where it looses a bit of that “you’re the Ghostbuster” concept. It’s a bit like how in the early Grand Theft Auto games, that was you in it. Then it became you playing Tommy, and so on.
LA at least has the Hollywood golden years in its favor… I honestly can’t see how Miami can be made to be interesting. The city itself just seems so boring. I admit that Boston is one of the other few cities I could see working.
Washington, LA, Chicago, Detroit… there are loads of cities to explore with fantastic histories.
I think the new franchise will work for a game and people will buy it if it is a good game. It’s only us fans who are close to the original characters. The majority of gamers won’t care as long as the game is good.
Most importantly though is this. The game suffered without online co-op. The reason it didn’t have online co op is because of the original cast members and the way they flit in and out of the game, explain the story and progress the game at certain points. A new cast will give a little more freedom as to developing the whole gameplay to allow online co op as it won’t matter who does what as there won’t be the ‘he would never do/say that argument’. I think the story with the original cast restricts introducing certain gameplay elements if you want them to behave as they did in the films.
Thanks Rusty for helping to explain my position. It actually wouldn’t have to be an American city either…
There is London, Moscow, Madrid, Paris, Sydney, Hong Kong, Toronto… I think a globetrotting GB game could make for a VERY interesting addition to the series.
I am happy to hear the news but I think following up with a game for the third movie is wrong also. I want the next game to have a healthy development cycle so that they can make it just as good if not better than the current game. Not a quickly put together movie tie-in. That has already plauged gaming for years. I would love to see a game come out that is a continuation of the idea of the rookie opening his own franchise. This allows them to still use ideas and concepts from ghostbusters 3 with the GB’s being franchised and it gives the developers enough freedom to make whatever gameplay and story decisions they like. A tie-in game to the movie though? In a word “NO”.