Hot Wheels Ecto 1 and "1A"...

So over the years I’ve always wanted a Hot Wheels Ecto 1 and Ecto 1A to display in my desks Ghostbusters corner.

Unfortunately I’ve never been able to locate them in a store during the brief periods they’re out. I refuse to pay what eBay sellers wanted. So I’ve been patient…and waiting…and waiting.

Finally the reboot comes out, and we get a nice wave of so called “Classic” merchandise. I’m stoked to see once again some Hot Wheels issued Ectos are coming out.

Well they must be selling like hot cakes because I could never find them. The peg hook for the classic Ectos is always empty while the reboot Ectos are full.

I’m about to give up all hope until yesterday…

While out grocery shopping at Walmart, I always like to peek to see what GB related goodies I can find.

There she was. Just 1 package hanging on a peg hook by itself. FINALLY!

I’m happy as all hell and throw it in my cart. I’m so excited. I can’t wait to have BOTH Ectomobiles sitting on my desk.

Well when I get home and I’m about to open up the package I notice:

image

Well of course. My search for a Hot Wheels Ecto 1A goes on…

Wow! Great find, congrats. I haven’t seen any merchandise, classic or reboot stuff, but now I have to check my Walmart just in case.

Do you think they made a mistake and it was supposed to contain the 1A? Either way it’s great to have two of the Ecto-1.

Yeah you can look up pics online it’s supposed to have the 1A with it. Yeah you’ll want to check the toy aisle at Walmart.

Nice find, I had to buy one at a local toy show and got frustrated searching stores too. That might be an even bigger collector item since its a factory mistake. Defninetly worth keeping in original package and holding on too.

Yeah you just got two ecto1 s in that package. that might actually become a rare and valuable collector piece! That’s considered manufactures error and those are worth something later on. Not that I would ever sell my Ghostbusters stuff but its just the idea of a collector piece. They do come with 1 and 1a normally, from what ive seen. I just bought the 1 and 1a separately packaged. I also have TRGB ecto1 hotwheel. next I need to buy the reboot/ATC ecto1

I too expect to find Ecto 1 and Ecto 1A. Ebay was my best place to go but they can cost more even with free shipping. I havent got mine yet. And when I checked Target, they didnt have much. just a couple of figures and 3 ghosts. Not alot.

I wouldn’t open this, I would keep it Mint on card. because this set is supposed to be an Ecto-1 and Ecto 1A combo but they made a mistake of putting two ecto-1’s in it. At first I thought the 1A had the wrong light bars. but I read on and see this.

Better get yourself another one.

As far as the reboot goes. it has the Ecto-1 in the 80’s Caddy, and a Ecto-2 which is a motorcycle. These dont have the same scale though. Almost thought the motorcycle is a 1/18 scale. but then the motorcycle would look like a child’s bicycle if you parked it by a 1/18 scale of Ecto.

On Ebay the bigger Ectos would set you back $100 or just shy from that. Was it supposed to be that expensive? I couldnt find a 1/24 diecast of the ectos anywhere. but they did have the model cars. I suck in putting the models together the way it should be. But it would look more like a race car or a demo derby if I were to do it. :cool:

Johnnny Lightning made their own Ecto-1a. it looks different than the Ecto-1a from hotwheels. Yes the car from the Frightning Lightnings is also a 1/64 scale like this hotwheels. The JL Ecto-1A has a logo on the hood as well and the light bar, the front, is orange. Some may be a little different on the stuff on the car. I guess I would have to get both of these. JL didnt have any Ecto-1 made. There was a hotwheels brand Ecto-1 that looked more detailed compair to this ecto-1 or an ecto-1 alone but some people are trying to sell it more than it is worth. Another hotwheels on the earliest verison looks more like a toy because the top where all the gadgets on the roof and latter is all black. I did see the Cartoon verison of Ecto 1 from hotwheels. But I dont think they had the Ectreme Ghostbusters verison.

I saw that JL and the Frighting Lightnings ones. I forget which, but one I rolled my eyes and hit “next”

As per the advice of everyone here I have kept it in the condition I bought it and did not open the package.

I just wanted a couple of Ectos for my desk and yet…thwarted again. Hopefully this weekend when I get paid I’ll go Walmart hunting and find some…

Just contact Mattel. The worst they can say is no. And if it does work, you’ll save yourself another 10$!

You might have seen them, and you might not want something of their size, but the Ecto-1/1A model kits (by Polar Lights and AMT, both 1/25 scale) are really nice, if you have the time to put them together.

Yes I’ve seen them and they’re VERY nice but…a little too big to put on my desk. I’ve considered other options. :smiley:

Like I said hopefully this weekend I’ll hunt some down.

Yeah, I’ve got them sitting on my desk, but every once in a while my hard drive gets knocked over onto one of them.

You know it’s too bad that it isn’t a valuable-collectible-mistake when baseball card packs contain doubles :cool:

I hope your search is going well.

Isn’t the Ecto-1A supposed to have the two fingers logo?

Derek! Hold onto that rare mistake man!

As I mentioned before and as mentioned above, whenever a package is unopened and manufactured error those are considered valuble collectables. There is an ecto 1 hotwheel on ebay right now going for 200- 400? because they didn’t print logos on the door of the car. HOLD ONTO THAT!

My face when:

image

Wow. Yeah to give a small update I managed to get a proper pair of Ectos…but I’ll hold on to the screwup for a bit. I won’t keep it forever but if the price was right I was definitely sell it.

Nice :slight_smile: If you don’t mind me asking, did you get them at a store or online?

I got both in store. Same location.

Just went to Walmart and they had a ton of these and ones from the new movie. I wish I would have waited longer but assumed they stopped selling in stores.

Thankfully my Walmart must have restocked because they have the peg hook filled and a couple on top.