Was there some specific part that moved and released the clear tubing, or was it engineered some other way?
Russ
Was there some specific part that moved and released the clear tubing, or was it engineered some other way?
Russ
Hauhh?!? :?
Perhaps I wasn’t clear enough when I asked:
How do/did the real (film used proton pack) gun tubes extend?
Was there some specific part that moved (on the gun) and released the clear tubing (such as a switch or lever), or was it engineered some other way?
In some of the reference photos, you can actually see this little tiny rod between the gunbox and that little extra box on the side with two switches, there’s been some ■■■ ■■■ about this, that in the movie, you see them both use that little switch and the tip pops out, and also twist the front handle and the tip pops out…both work affectively, it’s just the mechanism is different. I found two different links for both mechanisms, here they are:
http://pub23.ezboard.com/fpropreplicasfrm67.showMessage?topicID=712.topic
actually, I have to search for the other one, it’s the twist method, the one I placed here is for the the little tiny knob on the side of the gun…if you think hard you can just figure out how to do the twist one, it’s just a spring loaded plexi-glass tube with an L shaped hole cut into it where you place a pin, in where you then turn it for the pin to release backwards into the lower part of the L shape, allowign the spring to push it out…i’ll find the pictures to it and post it…it’s in Proptopia I believe
good luck and power to you! ![]()
Okay, that makes sense. I was hoping I didn’t imagine the “twist and it pops out” thing.
Simple engineering really, I wonder why more poeple don’t use it on their own packs?
Thanks!
Russ
proton gun
i think most people dont use it b/c for some it is to difficult or they just dont want it…im hoping to do the twist and pop out thing… i still need the tube of course :roll:
Guys, the twisting was only for effect. The real guns extended by use of the green lever on the side of the gun. The barrel’s handle either spun freely, or could be loosened. They only did that because of the “Make 'em hard” line.
If you want to see clearly that the rotation did nothing, watch when Ray steps off of the elevator in GB1. He extends his barrel by hitting a switch. No handle rotation at all.
Chris
Ok, sorry it took me forever, but here are the two other pictures I had found on another site about the twisting technique for the gun tip, though now that I think about it, this mechanism might interfere with the lights in the tube of the tip of the gun…anyways, you guys decide, i’m sure some of you have seen these pics..enjoy and good luck ![]()
The tip was not actuated by twisting the barrel.
See this picture… no twisting, yet it extends:
For my pack, I use the ACTIVE switch, just like Ray when he leaves the elevator. To do this I found a 12V electric piston.
Does yours retract, or just extend?
Russ
i had an idea where the handle pulls back to reval more of the clear tube…just put a pin in the outer tube and drill a hole that curves around the inner barrel…that way when u pull back on the grip it turns…that is an option for whoever likes the turning barrel idea better…
Both, when I pull down the switch the tube extend and when I pull up, the tube retract into the barrell.
Nice! Do you have any pictures of how you engineered it?
Russ
With this yellow thing (electric piston) I can extend the clear tube and retract it with the ACTIVATE switch (I use a DPDT switch)
Interesting! Do you have a lighting set in there as well?
Russ
where did u find the piston and how hard was it to get it working
Yes of course..
It just missing the bumper…I bought it from Charles Walker