i just got a resin gun box from one of the threads here, and i’m in the process of cutting the holes (grill lights, lightbar, leds, etc) but the question is what do i use to cut the necessary holes?
Resin is pretty easy to cut/drill so you shouldnt have any trouble.
To cut my vents I made a jig with an aluminium former so I could put in a small drill bit and drill out the vents. But I was making 14 guns. If your just making one easiest is probably draw out the vents then drill holes along it, then use a dremel to cut out the rest.
A normal drill bit should work fine to drill holes for the LED’s
Lawrence
A Dremel is a useful tool for cutting out vent holes and using the drum sanding bit for shaping the gun handle holes. I cut mine out with a Forstner bit on my drill press.
Whatever you do wear a dust mask and safety glasses, resin dust can wreak havoc on your lungs!
Good luck!
Also drill slowly and go from smaller bits to larger ones to avoid cracking.
I wouldn’t bother with a dremel. I bought one, it was crap, I returned it. Just get a grinding or sanding bit for a regular power drill, and one of those plastic clamps with the foam ends to hold the box in place while you shape it. You have to pay through the nose to get a dremel which has variable speed, but every power drill I’ve ever seen has that built in, and you can hold it steady with two hands.
I can see GhostGuy’s point about the variable speed on drills, but myself I find a dremel useful due to the ability to use it one-handed for more complicated cuts. But still, each to their own…
For the vents and the bargraph hole, the best thing you can use is a milling drillbit. This is a drill bit that once you drill down into something, you can then move sideways to cut slots. They are much cheaper than dremels, and will cut resin easily.You should be able to find them in most DIY stores
A lot of what you use depends on your budget and experience…
All the above are good starts and options, and you should also pick yourself up a set of jewelers files…
The biggest advice I can give it start small and go slow, it’s easier to file excess material away slowly then it it to repair a dremel tool gone wild gouge…
A package of emery board (finger nail files) is also something you might fine helpful…
I personally won’t do any of the cuts by hand anymore, I do them all on a mill, but this is generally cost prohibitive for most…
great idea! where would one find jewelers files?
yeah… it sucks when that happens… ![]()
keoni, You should be able to find mini files( aka jewlers files) at most hardware stores. Try dollar stores ,they may even have them and will have the emory boards for sure.
thanks for the input guys, but since this is my first time working with resin, could u post some pics so i can have somethign to refrence and know what ur talking about?
Paco, what tools do you have to use? If we know what you have to work with perhaps some better suggestions will be forthcoming.
If all you have is a butterknife you’re pretty much SOL :lol: