Jaimanstone's Kenner Proton Pack Conversion -- For My Son!

My son is as into Ghostbusters as I am and for Christmas wants nothing more than a “real” proton pack like Kolten Cooke’s (I’m still building my own!).

I started with a standard Kenner Pack sans Wand (My son will be getting a Matty Nutrino Wand that I will be attaching to this pack):

![image](http://www.gbfans.com/images/pb/jaimanstone/1929 Ford Model A_6EF51D26-B982-4C1C-8181-02923BA8D089_zpsiibqfnyj.jpg)

The first step was to drill out the holes for the Cyclotron:

![image](http://www.gbfans.com/images/pb/jaimanstone/1929 Ford Model A_6AE89C45-E5A6-45A7-8440-43935D0D9742_zpsc3zjvd5o.jpg)

Then it was masking and texturing:

![image](http://www.gbfans.com/images/pb/jaimanstone/1929 Ford Model A_54984D8F-AC65-4B86-87D2-FF1CFCB28054_zpstrlvfgho.jpg)

Then priming:

![image](http://www.gbfans.com/images/pb/jaimanstone/1929 Ford Model A_1A7B5A1A-7B15-4C8F-B53C-AD7451E4B9D1_zps5lzgukny.jpg)

Then a few coats of aluminum paint:

![image](http://www.gbfans.com/images/pb/jaimanstone/1929 Ford Model A_95D3346E-7DB5-47CE-8571-36244203B5AA_zpsqkfv20wp.jpg)

Then it was on to Rustoleum Black Satin:

![image](http://www.gbfans.com/images/pb/jaimanstone/1929 Ford Model A_209E8C29-E836-419B-95DC-F53C3B8D24A6_zpsy3pcqpsi.jpg)

Then a little sanding to bring out the underlying aluminum paint, REAL ALICE frame straps, Aluminum decals, hose barbs, ribbon cable and real split loom installed:

![image](http://www.gbfans.com/images/pb/jaimanstone/1929 Ford Model A_12C751DD-0E0F-42BA-873B-753AD596F93E_zpsplbbbez1.jpg)

![image](http://www.gbfans.com/images/pb/jaimanstone/1929 Ford Model A_F5F63A67-1B71-46AF-87F6-A1FA12CA4FB9_zpsafwz7prd.jpg)

![image](http://www.gbfans.com/images/pb/jaimanstone/1929 Ford Model A_A5DBB97A-9E77-470E-ADC9-E6FC7561C6C3_zpslbdyzwyt.jpg)

![image](http://www.gbfans.com/images/pb/jaimanstone/1929 Ford Model A_056AABF0-7CC1-4D42-A329-9AB52B5207CE_zps7f56mfa3.jpg)

![image](http://www.gbfans.com/images/pb/jaimanstone/1929 Ford Model A_8773729C-4363-4639-807D-9742C28B58B6_zpsxio7krba.jpg)

![image](http://www.gbfans.com/images/pb/jaimanstone/1929 Ford Model A_41DB5FF2-8CF0-4BA3-9793-38364934EF61_zpsre7agbqb.jpg)

I have red and blue hose on the way to which I will attach to the barbs as well as red acrylic lenses for the cyclotron holes. I have already built a circuit with a switch that will turn on four red LED lights that will blink randomly behind the lenses.

I am also entertaining putting a blue light in the upper left light behind the blue lens that came with the kit.

I also have a Dixie cup bracket that I will install on the pack as well as the Matty Wand.

After that, it’s just doing a few finishing touches and it will be ready for Christmas morning!

The unknown is going to be the Matty wand. I have the inner clear hose in the loom, but I will have to wait until the Matty wand gets here to figure out how to install it.

I will post more updates as the project progresses.

The Matty wand is solid on the end, save for a head phone style jack. Also the Dixie cup bracket won’t mate with it, they put a quite nice movie style Vhook on the bottom. The bad news is that they aren’t including the male end to match it.

Nice work so far. I’ve modded a couple of these Kenner packs myself.

Thanks Joe!

Yeah, I’ll probably end up cutting out the jack housing to install the tube/loom. The plan is for this pack to stay as is with the wand for my 2 year old when he gets old enough and my 5 year old graduates to another pack/.wand rig.

Very cool! I can’t wait to see this finished.

Looks great!

Thanks!

The red lenses for the cyclotron arrive today, so with any luck the pack will be all lit up by day’s end.

Great looking mod sir!

Very nice! Will be a great Xmas morning for your son… :wink:

Okay, no lenses yet, but the tubes arrived today.

![image](http://www.gbfans.com/images/pb/jaimanstone/1929 Ford Model A_2E29D23F-38EB-4947-A0E9-21EEEF7E89DE_zpsbuhpogsw.jpg)

![image](http://www.gbfans.com/images/pb/jaimanstone/1929 Ford Model A_9525D693-C5AF-4DE5-9ED0-F6BAFE7CB92B_zpsn6uynaxa.jpg)

![image](http://www.gbfans.com/images/pb/jaimanstone/1929 Ford Model A_73C93265-646D-423C-8D3A-39D30E04FC88_zpsoqcgzga1.jpg)

This is sooooo cool!

such a great idea, good job man

that is badass

Looking really cool.

Alex

So whatever happened with this one? It’s amazing and I’d love to see how it ended up.