Janine's striped blouse?

This is kind of a weird question, but I’m on a quest to make my Janine costume as screen-accurate as possible. I’m really stumped on her blouse worn with the first outfit we see her in during GB1:

![image](http://www.gbfans.com/images/pb/TheWonderettes/Janine Melnitz_340025_1_zps6cd33b4c.jpg)

My first question: is it gray or white? It looks like both colors in different scenes (she wears it twice) but I’m leaning towards white. Secondly, I don’t know how to describe the pattern here. It’s striped, but it also has all those little dots or whatever they are beneath the stripes.

![image](http://www.gbfans.com/images/pb/TheWonderettes/Janine Melnitz_tumblr_mqndxqf9vm1swhdpho8_1280_zps0ee90917.png)

![image](http://www.gbfans.com/images/pb/TheWonderettes/Janine Melnitz_tumblr_mqndxqf9vm1swhdpho1_1280_zps10e96b14.png)

Could anyone possibly help me out with this? Thanks!

To me the shirt looks white with grey stripes having a perforated grey line below it. I think maybe the lighter grey line you see is on the inside of the and is actually the same shade.

This might not help, but Annie Potts mentioned in her recent SFX Magazine interview that all of her GB1 wardrobe was by Armani. You might could find some other reference online.

Armani, wow! :stuck_out_tongue: Janine may have quit better jobs, with the amount of hours she worked, her checks must have been nice…before taxes. :mrgreen:

I’ve never really known a time where Armani didn’t seem expensive. And most likely unnecessary. Maybe during the '80s the brand was more affordable compared to perhaps Calvin Klein for example.

Okay, I am not coming up with any corroboration in a Google search, but I want to say I remember reading or hearing that she was wearing her own clothes in the first scene they shot of her (although I’m not sure which scene that is, it’s probably a NYC exterior). Annie was trying to come up with her character, so she snagged the real prescription spectacles of someone in the crew, I believe the wardrobe lady? And then she had to steal this poor woman’s only means of vision before every subsequent take.

Alex

The first time I remember reading it was in the 6/04 Premiere Magazine oral history article. It’s a great read if you haven’t checked it out. Very similar to the recent EW article.

http://jasonmatloff.com/oral-histories/of-marshmallow-and-men-premiere-magazine/

Yeah, her early stuff was definitely the NYC exteriors. Potts mentioned that her first shot was in front of the fire station in the SFX interview. I’m guessing since she mentions grabbing a coat, it was the commercial shoot. That… is a coat, right? She didn’t have the glasses on in the raw footage that popped up a few months ago. Plus, it sounds like she wasn’t even supposed to be in the scene and Reitman just threw her in. If it was the exterior firehouse explosion shot, she was definitely required for the scene.

Of course, now that I’m looking, she isn’t wearing the glasses in the shot outside of the apartment during the end credits. I never noticed. Who knows…

I remembered hearing about the glasses; apparently, they hurt Annie’s eyes which is why she wears them around her neck in a lot of scenes. I managed to find a good match for those, by the way, with some pink reading glasses from the 80s.

I’m still stumped on this shirt, though! If it’s made my Armani, maybe I can find some of their 80s designs online and see what comes up.

Again good luck for your searches. I inform you if I find information from my part.

Looks to me like the pattern was inspired by dot matrix printer paper of the day.

Wow, excellent observation. I’m old enough to remember dot matrix printers pretty well. By the screen caps posted and “actual” '80s printer/paper I could see that comparison.

Annie, I don’t know if you have already. There are web sites that sell “vintage” (well classic?) clothing. It may be a “roll of the dice.” In 2013 I searched Google for '80s clothing when I was looking for more authentic clothes for my “Marty McFly” outfit.

That’s pretty much what I’ve been doing. No luck yet.

I figured, should I find something useful in a search, I’ll let you know.