Hi, i was just wondering whether anyone had any ideas about modding the standard trap? I’ve ordered a load of parts to scratch build the pedal, and (on the 20th) will get the rest of the bits to finish the trap (panels, lenses, knobs, paint, etc.). However, the one thing i’m not sure about is modding the cable.
To people who own one - how easy does it look to disassemble the cable and either allow the use of proper Foster connections but still keep a working connection, or swap the current huge connectors onto a different hose/split loom.
Most of the other mods seem doable to me as they are all separate from each other, but i’d like to keep the working (removable) pedal connection but still make both parts film accurate. By the way, i’m going for a GB1 look. I know there wasn’t ONE definitive model, but i’m going for the look of the first model seen in the Sedgewick slimer capture.
Hope someone has some good ideas, 'cos i don’t want to ■■■■■ this up
The cable ends are very well glued. You may be able to heat them and snap the glue but you’ll pretty much have to ruin the plastic to do so. If you’re swapping in fosters anyway it may not be an issue but depending on how the socket is hooked up inside you might destroy it.
You would have to modify the Fosters somehow if you wanted to use real ones. The current connection used is a mini-jack, so you would have to modify the Fosters to hold a mini jack or come up with some other manner of making the electrical connection.
If it were me, I’d do a prototype with some real Fosters before permanently changing anything on the trap.
…Are you planning on building a whole new pedal or just fitting it with new parts?
I originally was worried the pedal would be too light and flimsy (based on early reviews)…I was concocting plans to possibly scratch build one. After receiving it, I’m happy enough with it that I don’t think I’ll go to the trouble (I will be replacing the ribbon cable, though). I’d like to see how scratch building a functioning pedal for the Matty trap goes.
I’ll be completely building a new pedal. I’ve bought all the parts to make a new one from scratch, except i’ll be using the existing connector and just cutting a hole for that on the metal project box. I couldn’t figure out a reasonable way to adapt a Foster connection, so may eventually mod the connector with a more accurate cable/hose (like in GB1).
After that i’ll be fitting metal panels (and metal Vector plate if i can find one) and hex screws, a real resistor, GB1 side knob, and accurate lens and switch to the trap. Before this i’ll probably give the whole thing a new coat of paint in matt black (with an undercoat of silver?) and give it a gentle weathering with some Fullers Earth and sandpaper.
One thing i’m wondering about though is the hose used on the GB1 trap. I know that GB2 used a split loom similar in look to what’s on the trap now, and have heard that it was some kind of fuel/pneumatic line used in GB1, but has anyone sourced a fairly accurate (easily available) source for the GB1 style cable?
Also, has anyone got any tips on weathering? From what i’ve seen people use an undercoat in silver, say, and then scratch away bits of the topcoat to give the appearance of years of use. Is this basically right? And is what brands/types of black paint do people use? I prefer spraypaint, and have seen some people mention BBQ paint.
Obviously none of this matters 'cos i haven’t received my trap yet!
(It is in transit, though. And the rest of the bits for the pedal should be here by next week)
Yeah, 'course. I’ll try an remember to take pictures as well.
Stuff from GBFans finally came. Thanks to the Royal Mail for just leaving the box outside my front door, without ringing the doorbell, in the rain. At least everything was OK.
Can get started at least, but i’ll need the trap itself and other bits from MMM (when they open again) to finish it. One thing i’ve noticed though, it’s a lot bigger in person than i’d thought.
Right, nearly got everything together before i can make a proper start on this pedal. There are still some things i need, though, and was hoping some people would be able to point me to some sources. This is what i still can’t find:
Pedal
Legris/Nycoil banjo
Legris/Nycoil/SMC straight fitting
Red & yellow tubing (any brand as long as it looks like the original stuff)
Vector plate (would prefer metal but can’t seem to find them anywhere)
Accurate lens cover for LED
Hinge set (may just have to research this a bit any get one from a DIY store)
Bellows (what do most people use?)
Trap
Lens cover for LED
Vector plate (not got any facilities for accurate cutting, so this would preferably be cut to size)
Metal plating for sides, front and bar graph (may do this myself)
Various labels - can find general labels but was wondering if anyone did an all-in-one set for the trap and pedal? Especially with the slightly different ones like the metallic label on the relay and the water slide on the metal project box?
I think that’s about it. Don’t know if there’s anything else i can replace with better parts, but i’m sure i’ll find out soon (hopefully…if the trap turns up eventually).
Some things i’ve been wondering about - from pictures it looks like the silver side panels are actually part of the body of the trap and can’t just be yanked off. Is this true? Also, is there a slight gap around the edges of the trap (following the angled edges above the ‘metal’ side panels) that may need to be filled in?
Can someone give some guidance here? Should be able to find out for myself soon…not holding out any hope though!
Thanks so much, didn’t realise the shop had been restocked recently! Well, that’s another part down, and i’ve just ordered all the correct screws (took me a bit of time to get all the correct sizes) and other miscellaneous bits (dome nut, threaded inserts, zip ties).
Now, that cuts the list down but i’m still on the lookout for the other items. Especially the metal vector plates and pre-cut metal side plates, banjo and straight fitting, tubing, and a full accurate set of decals.
I’m still waiting for the trap, though, and i don’t want to start anything 'till i have everything ready so i’m just trying to get all the parts in one place ready to bolt together.
In a word…no. I ended up getting frustrated and ruined it (although i did ruin it first, if that makes it any better?). In the end i decided to make my own trap - I didn’t keep a build thread i’m sorry but here’s my finished trap: Finished GB1 Trap and pedal - Ghost Traps - GBFans.com (just noticed you’ve already seen it :-)).
The side panels are held on with some sort of plastic rivet from the inside. If you take the cartridge out you can see small dimples (on the two inside walls) where the plastic is fused to posts, which are on the underside of the side panels (may not have described that brilliantly, just ask me to explain anything you’re not sure about).
I drilled these out and removed the side panels, then filled the holes. Everything was fine until i filled the hollows with SmoothCast 300. I’d forgotten how warm resin gets and as i hadn’t supported the walls from the inside the plastic warped. I tried to sit it in hot water and then bend them back, but it wasn’t happening as they’d also bellowed out slightly in the middle. I also tried shaving and sanding the insides to get the cartridge to fit but from the front you could see both walls leaned noticeably outwards, and it was beyond fixing to a point i’d be happy with.
So i had to bin it. Which i suppose is a good thing 'cos i may never have had the need to buy one of Nick-a-Tron’s amazing trap kits!
Although i did make the GB1 pedal from scratch. You can see from my pictures that i used the Matty connector (and pedal insides), so that when i do eventually get another Matty trap it’ll work perfectly (i made sure the pedal worked every time while i still had the cannibalised electronics from the trap).
I’ve got some more bits coming soon for my pack build, so i’ll be putting a replica Legris straight on the pedal to replace the SMC and making it more GB1.
Oh, one last thing - i did look at incorporating the electronics into the quick connects but it seemed beyond my capability. Someone may come up with a good idea someday but i didn’t have to patience to figure it out.
I mean I trashed a (now valuable) Matty trap in the process, but it gave me a reason to build my own from one of Nick-a-Tron’s amazing kits! I only need the metal plating for my second build, and I’m more than happy with the first one.
I’d recommend to anyone to try and build their own; it’s definitely rewarding, and you don’t need any special power tools or engineering knowledge to do so (well at least I didn’t ).
Just time, patience and a OCD-level of attention to detail :twisted: