Depending on what shell I end up purchasing for my first build, I will need a nice metal motherboard to perfectly match it. Since most shells vary in shape, I will need one that is made just for the shell I have.
I know that most of it is just an outline of the actual shell but the right side of the shell has the motherboard extending from the top right corner down to the cyclotron at a tapered angle.
Can anyone provide me with more detailed info on this so when I have my motherboard cut, I am sure to be getting an accurate shape.
Your expertise and advice is much appreciated.
Wait until you have the shell and trace a 1/8" spaced pattern all around it but before you start cutting you have to add in the area from the cyclotron up to the gunmount (which you can easily eyeball). Don’t do anything until you already have the shell that you want.
A 1/8" space? Is that because some of the material is cut away when the board is cut out? It is my current understanding that the motherboard should perfectly marry the shape of the shell with NO overlapping except the area from the gunmount to the cyclotron.
Please correct me if I’m wrong and if you have any reference photos to illustrate what you are sharing, please post them. Im in total research mode right now so I am working to find the best and most accurate information from those who are “in the know” if you know what I mean…
Whatever the reason, Vinny knows it. Trust him on all accounts.
If I remember correctly the 1/8 space was for margin of error… just in case. I could be wrong though lol
The original motherboards were hand cut and do not fit perfectly.
Yes, the actual spacing that you want around the edge of the shell is somewhere between 1/8" and 1/16" it’s not consistent, but you have to take into account how much material your blade is going to eat up.
Maybe this will help explain it better… Creating the bigi71 motherboard - Proton Packs - GBFans.com
Bear in mind that I used less than 1/8" spacing in that thread because my motherboards are cut by a waterjet.
I was just about to post that thread. It’s pretty much the “how to do your own motherboard” tutorial anyway. 
Thanks everyone for your input…very helpful.
I used Stephan’s plans as a guide, http://www.gbfans.com/images/equipment/plans/stefan_1.pdf. It clearly shows the straight line connecting the area between the upper right side and the cyclotron. Some people also cut out and follow the ridges in the upper left, top and upper right sides but most just have a straight line across those areas.
On my pack, I also made sure there was a bit of extra margin around the tab at the bottom of the cyclotron. Since I sometime set that on the ground (don’t yell at me), I wanted to make sure it would protect the fiberglass shell.
This is only my first pack, so definately a newb point of view here - but I like it and had a lot of fun over the months I spent building it, so for me it was a total success!