My Ecto Goggle build & improvement thread.

I recently purchased a set of goggles from another member who did a great initial job with the resin cast and sourcing out some of the pieces. However, with the goggles unfinished and being the ■■■■ ■■■■■■■ that I am, I decided to go through them and make them the way I wanted. So while it’s not exactly a scratch build, I’ve got a fair amount of hours into it and I figured I’d start documenting the changes I made.

First off, here’s the goggles as they started out. I was really pleased with the paint job on the frames and the weathered bolts but the lenses needed some work as did a few other areas.

I started by removing the non-movie decal on top, redoing some of the paint on the lenses and re-applying some of the sticker decals I had.

On the back side, I re-did all the wiring for the LEDs and touched up meter bar with some thin lexan and multi-colored hi-lighter pens. I still have some work to do back here to get it the way I want as the LED isn’t bright enough (for the bar) and I can probably do a cleaner job on the graph/number/MAX logo the second go round.

Here it is with the padding installed. I haven’t quite decided what to do with it just yet as it’s not movie accurate but at the same time, it’s far more comfortable with it on. I may take a page from Alex Newborn’s play-book and create my own thinner pads that provide protection but hide a little better.

Though these straps aren’t exactly movie accurate, I found it’s really hard to tell exactly what Ray was using on his. The snaps themselves do look different but since these are real straps and are pre-weathered, I’ve decided to keep them for now. To cure the “flappy” nature of the extra strap, I just used some 3M double-sided carpet tape to hold them in place.

Here’s a bottom shot of the frames with the mostly correct knobs. I don’t have the little battery cover strap so I’ll probably be using something from a water bottle or something similar to put on the nub at some point.

I also need to find the “BAT”/Warning labels which I haven’t had much luck with. What I’ll probably do is print my own using member Demon Vice Commander’s excellent guide image.

image

Here’s a shot of the LEDs inside the lens casings. Note the painting isn’t done yet and I’ve just got a temporary lens in there for testing purposes. At this point, I wasn’t happy with the way the LED light reflects in such a spotty way down the casing.

At this point I had two major issues. For one, I found the resin casts to be a bit messy on the insides. Secondly, I wasn’t really sure how I was going to get the actual round lenses inside without it being ugly. First things first, I had to clean up the casts.

Using a dremel and some sand paper, I went through and cleaned up the edges as best I could.

With the cast/lip fixed, I found that the insides were still a bit messy and still caused an ugly reflection of the green LED light down the lens. By complete accident while I was messing around with the LEDs, I noticed they cast a nice, even pattern when put up against the black gaffer’s tape I had on my workstation. However, my sausage fingers and the small hole meant it wasn’t going to be easy to get the tape in there cleanly. First I tried strips but it wasn’t clean enough. Thankfully, gaffer’s tape is quite resilient when it comes to sticking/unsticking so I came up with an idea. I decided to roll up the tape, push it in there and gradually “unroll” it, using sticks to press/smooth it to the edges as I went around. Here’s the roll before going in.

It’s hard to make out, but the roll is in there and starting at the bottom I used a paint brush stem to flatten/stick it. The rest involved using a pen to unroll it millimeter by millimeter and alternating back to the paint brush to flatten/press it down in a clockwise motion.

As much of a pain in the ass as it was, the secondary reason for doing this was that it gave me an artificial lip on the inside of the lens casing so I could rest the plexiglass lens on it later.

This first lens casing took almost half an hour to unroll cleanly but it came out great all things considered.

I couldn’t get a good representative photo but you can see the light pattern is a bit more even now (final/end shots look much better). In person, it has this nice blend to it.

Next up was the other side. You can get a better sense of the artificial “lip” created by the tape. This way I wont have to use hot/super glue making a mess of things. The lens slides right in and rests neatly on the tape. The only hard part was getting the tape angle perfect, which wasn’t easy using my “MacGuyver” method above.

And another not so great photo of it lit up. More coming later!

Now that I had the “artificial lip” done, next came the second part of securing the lens into the casing to make sure it didn’t fall out. I figured since the lens lip needed refinishing/painting anyway, I’d just put the lens in first, paint the inner edge and let the thickness of the paint sort of create another artificial lip, “sealing” the lens in place. Here is it sanded and pre-paint with the tape lip visible at the right depth.

Next up was adding the lenses themselves. I had a local plastic company called Plastic Depot laser cut me a dozen 1/16" thick lenses (1" and 1.25" diameters). The best part, and what allowed me to do the “paint seal” trick, was that they came with a white plastic cover which acted like masking tape. Here it is dropped into place while I used aluminum colored paint to finish the inner lip.

Once dried, all that was left was to peel back the masking plastic carefully. Since the lens didn’t pop out from the process, it confirmed that the “paint seal” lip was working and keeping it in place. No glue necessary and I’ve got a bunch of spares just in case it does fall out.

Next up was doing the other side. Even though I’d sanded and repainted the uneven lip from the resin cast on the black lens casing, it just didn’t look right with a simple plexiglass lens jammed into it. Continuing my MacGuyver-style, use-whatever-is-around randomness, I grabbed some a few different gauges of black wire to create another artificial lip. Here’s the test fit before finishing/cleaning up.

In addition to cleaning up the look, this idea killed two birds with one stone by giving me a sturdy lip to hold the plexiglass lens and it gave the lens a bit of depth/realism. Since we don’t have up close, hi-res photos of the lens from the movie and it’s considered “unidentified” according to the Equipment section, I figured I’d leave it to my own interpretation.

Given that I had a stronger lip than just the gaffer’s tape on this lens, I didn’t need to use the paint seal trick and instead just jammed it in there allowing friction to hold it snugly in place. Here’s a shot with the lens in place and I love the way it came out. Note I did these in reverse order as you can see the ugly left lens with glue holding it, before I did the paint seal method above. Now both are super clean, no glue at all.

Since it’s about 90% complete at this point and I’m not going to mess with the inner frame for a few weeks, I’ll try to get some completed photos tonight of everything lit up and displayed.

A new camera is on my short list but for now, here’s a bunch of pics the way the goggles currently sit. I hope to have the final missing labels within the next week or two and I’m going to work on some ideas for improving the inner plate/meter graphics. I also want to tweak the left lens depth a bit to better match the movie goggles but that’ll take sanding down the resin cast which is already pretty weak/flimsy as it is. Anyway, here it is in all its glory!

image

image

image

image

image

image

image

Last but not least, a shot of how I have them displayed currently. As much as I like them hanging off the pack, I’m not sure if that’s such a good idea so I’m open to any ideas on how you guys display yours. Thanks in advance!

image

In a few months time I will be debuting how my whole setup will be displayed in the man cave. I will detail more closer to the build time :wink:

Looking forward to it bud. I can’t wait to get a new home so I can have a room dedicated to my various projects.

Suuuure you say that NOW. Until the wife wants a kitchen or something lol

Haha, before I put a ring on that finger we’d have to set some ground rules on my hobbies. Of course, that’s way easier said than done :smiley:

:wink: I wish you well my son imitates a crucifix in the air

Go forth and produce badass replicas of ghostbusters. And leave the Holy Spirit be…

Going to hell for that bit.