Hello All! I come to you with a jacket that has me baffled. About a year ago I found this GB2 jacket at a local antique store and had to have it! I’ve done countless Google searches with no results. Since I’m posting with my Wii, I can’t upload a pic of it, but I will do my best to describe it! It has 7 black metal snap buttons, which are still very tough to undo, indicating it hasn’t seen alot of wear. It has 2 side pockets lined with polyester. The outer shell is a nice black nylon with a satin finish. The lining is white polyester. The collar, cuffs and bottom edge are an elastic knit material in red. The rest of the jacket is black. The GB2 logo is embroidered on the left breast, “Coca-Cola” is embroidered on the right. On the back is a very high quality GB2 logo patch, I’d say around 12" tall. There are two tags on the inside, one is a makers’ patch with the brand name “Fun Stuff-NY” The other is a tag with a Columbia Pictures copyright and care instructions. Now, there are two mysteries about this jacket. The first is the coca cola logo. It is not the official coke logo, it was embroidered in a cursive-looking font. The embroidery goes thru the polyester lining while neither GB2 logos do, indicating it was done after the jacket was finished. The second mystery is on the copyright tag, it has a copyright year of 1988, not 1989 when the film was released. So, my guess is that it may have been a pre-release promo item, or an extremely well-made knock-off that was taken very good care of. The condition is amazing, it is like new. Well, I hope someone out there can help shed light on this for me. Thanks!
Like this?
If so, then that was a promotional jacked that was given to crew, staff etc. Which is why the date is 88 and not 89. The specifics of these (like the red not matching on those two) all varied a little which would explain the interior color/button number difference.
As far as the Coke thing, your guess is as good as mine. But as someone that lives in the birthplace of that soda I can say that one thing the company is VERY good at, is getting their font right.
Yes, exactly like the top picture. If I can use my fiancee’s laptop in the near future I will upload pictures.
Well, the Coca-Cola Company did own Columbia Pictures when GB2 was made. A little shameless advertising never hurt…