Hi. I’m new to the boards. I just started to re-buy the figures from the Kenner Real Ghostbuster line. I don’t want to get every figure…just the essentials. I plan on getting the original 4, Slimer, Marshmallow Man, firehouse, and ecto-1. Which Janine & Louis do you think are the best/most accurate to get? Also, any other essentials that I may be forgetting? Thanks! I’ll post pics when I get everything.
Janine–definitely the Power Pack version. It’s got the best head sculpt, can wear a Kenner proton pack (but doesn’t come with one), and is easy to repaint into whichever of her flight suits you wish to emulate.
Louis, either the Power Pack or Slimed Hero. They use the same molds, and can also wear the standard Kenner proton pack; the Power Pack Louis you could almost use as-is or paint into an approximation of a flight suit. The Slimed Hero Louis comes with a proton pack, but will need more painting if you want it to look relatively accurate. I think some people have also reported discoloration from the temperature-sensative “slime” paint.
There’s also an Ecto-Glow Louis again using the same mold as the Power Pack and Slimed Hero, but those are even rarer.
You might find this helpful:
I think the Ecto-2 is an essential part of the flavor of the RGB line. A lot of the toys never appeared on the cartoon, but this one did, and it was a pretty cool invention for the first aired episode.
Highway Haunter’s also a pretty solid addition to a collection. I just love the fact it’s a bug that turns into a bug. Makes me think of the toy exec who gets so mad at Tom Hanks’ suggestion in the movie Big.
The Gooper Ghost version of Slimer/Green Ghost is my favorite sculpt. The downsides are he’s too large and the big hole through the back of his mouth when you remove the backpack.
The first series Slimer, with the tail and the three flat food accessories, is also too large. I think he’s an easy pass, though others probably find him de rigueur.
The more scarce ‘proton pack’ Slimer is closer to the right scale, but suffers in the sculpt department due to the action features built into the eyes and mouth, and that GB logo armband.
That being said, I do own all versions of Slimer, including both the red pack and blue pack versions of the latter one, but if you just want one, go with the Gooper. Just my opinion. Your mileage may vary.
Also, apparently it was a very popular decision, made independently by numerous fans all over the country in those pre-internet days, to buy a particular Spitballs Slimer and put that with one’s RGB figures. Simple solid sculpt and close to the right size. I think it was made by Entertech and came in a package with an Ecto-1. A second pack included the logo ghost and Stay-Puft.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/28773898@N04/8273353521/
Alex
It can also double as Janine’s car, since she did drive a VW in the show. It was either red or pink depending on the episode, but close enough for me.
Lol…I honestly didn’t know for sure, until just now, that anybody else did that. It doesn’t surprise me, but like you said, pre-internet and all.
Also on the “worthwhile” list of the Kenner stuff, there was a neat ghost trap accessory that came with Screaming Heroes Peter Venkman.
(Pics borrowed from this thread: Custom Kenner RGB Figure Ghost Trap - Collectibles - GBFans.com)
Alas, Kenner did not do any paint apps to it.
So back in the 80’s, mine immediately got a little ‘caution stripe’ decal that had come with a neat LEGO book full of stickers to customize your bricks.
The tweaked trap was then permanently loaned to the series-one Ray Stantz figure.
And then there was the PKE Meter accessory that came with Screaming Heroes Egon.
(Pic from the ghostbusters wiki)Alex
Thanks! I’m really anal about figures being mint and complete. So I’ve been buying things MIB or MOC and opening them. It’s becoming pricey. Lol. Still torn over what Louis to get. I keep changing my mind!
Despite a very ‘busy’ paint scheme, the Power Pack Louis is the one that shows off the sculpt the best. In my opinion.
Alex
Just snapped and bought the Power Pack Louis. This week I bought the firehouse, marshmallow man, janine, the 4 busters. Bidding on slimer. Can’t find ecto-1 MIB.
Another one to consider along with those Alex mentioned: Slimed Heroes Ray. It comes with Ecto-Goggles; there’s a superfluous antenna and mouthpiece added, but those would be easy to chop off if you so chose.
I bet you’ve made several dozen collectors on this site crap bricks with this statement. I like it. :nicejobyoudid:
Yup, I forgot about that. I kept looking at the Fright Features Ray with the sculpted Ecto-Goggles, but decided not to mention him.
I went to look up the Slimed Heroes Ray and noticed his accessories came in at least two different colors.

Dang it. I thought my RGB collection was ‘complete’.
Alex
I hate how it stains the figures.
Yeah, the color change paint does not age well. I had a spare Slimed Egon that I was going to customize, but after digging him out of my storage shed and seeing how the cold air had ‘activated’ the paint, I decided to find a loose ‘regular’ Egon off eBay instead.
Slimed Egon’s face shield only covered one side, so the color change paint made him look vaguely like Roy Neary in Close Encounters of the Third Kind.
Thinking of the planned custom, I’m reminded of another pretty good RGB figure. The Super Fright Features Egon figure somewhat resembles the suit Egon wears into the containment unit in the “X-mas Marks the Spot” episode.

Too bad they had to give the toy the silly fright feature and a ruinous helmet design.
Alex
Thanks everyone for their help. I have bought everything that I think I need and just waiting for it all the arrive. Can’t wait to set up a little display.
It might be reasonably easy to add a regular Egon figure head to the Fright Features figure, and craft a new helmet.
Yep, I’m planning to put a regular Egon head on the SFF body, and then the bubble helmet from the SFF Winston.
I felt it was off-topic here, so I posted a pic in my own thread of the source figures and then a digital mockup.
Scroll down to the bottom for the newest pics.
And to the OP, I hope you’re right about having all you think you need, but don’t be surprised if the collection keeps growing.
You’ve taken your first step into a larger world.
Alex
Here is what I have so far. I bought these MOC / MIB and opened to get them mint. Still looking for a mint Ecto-1. I had bought one but returned it because the stickers were messed up.




