New to the site and I want to build a proton pack.

Hey I am new to the site and would like to build a proton back and need advice. Can someone please tell me the best way to build the proton pack? Should I buy a shell and work off of that or build it from wood or other materials? Thank you.

Part of it will depend on the skill set you have and can use for the Pack build.

I believe these days, Packs with shells are the preferred method, thanks predominantly to fibreglass shells being strong but also light.

What shell is recommended and how much should I pay?

Depends on budget, skill and time. I’d suggest reading through the treasure trove of build threads on here as well as looking at the reference pictures and pack plans that are available. Budget is also vital, pack building isn’t something that comes cheap if you’re looking for screen accuracy. Research, Research, Research

I have a small budget. I have seen a few proton pack shells on line for around $150.00.

If that’s your budget for a shell then go for the Studio Creations shell. Be warned there is a little more work to do with these but they can look nice when completed. There are plenty of SC builds on here so take a look at the Proton Pack section. Also please look at the sites blacklisted sellers thread

Do you think the Studio Creation Shell is a decent shell?

For that budget its a decent alternative to the more accurate shells. Take a look at the builds by Syckotheclown and Alan Hawkins. Both have used the SC shell.

http://www.gbfans.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=34312 Alan’s build

http://www.gbfans.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=36653 Sycko’s build

Agreed on the SC shell. Stay the hell away from any “shells” or “DIY kits” from eBay.

So the SC Shell seems to be a good deal. Are they sturdy?

You really should reinforce the inside with some fiberglass. You need a little more support for all the pieces that need to be attached.

What about wood support inside?

In my signature is a link to a scratch build I made, which I feel came out looking pretty authentic considering the materials used, with a low total cost.

What are your thoughts on Resin Parts and which are good quality? Also are they sturdy?

In my opinion, the sc shell is pretty sturdy right off the bat. It’s more rigid than it looks. But, I would add some support on certain areas ( gun mount, ion arm, injectors and such.) You could glass the inside like Allan did. Because I was on a budget like you, I used mdf in those areas. Worked great for me.

Can parts for a Proton pack be found at a Home Depot or Hardware Store?

Lol yessss sir they can. You’ll be getting very familiar with the plumbing section. If you check out my thread I have the measurements of the pvc you’ll need

What about tubes and hardware and elbow connectors?