Ok so does anyone else have a problem with how they did the pack upgrades or add ons? Like when you need a new piece of equipment right then and there Egon goes oh I modified the pack… and then it’s magically on the pack. This so far is my only minor complaint. It is kind of wierd though.
nope, doesnt bother me any bit.
I was actually quite peeved when I got the “oh yea, you have an extra function on your pack” line. But then I really thought about it…who the hell would tell the rookie about everything his weapon of mass destruction could do before determining if he was able to handle himself in the field? A proton stream is plenty destructive enough, but a boson dart is at least 10x the strength. I surely would have not told the kid about this powerful tool until I saw how he handled the already wildly unpredictable proton stream.
I just now finished Times Square, so I don’t know if the other upgrades like slime or dark matter just simply appear out of nowhere, but so far, the boson thing has been resolved in my head.
However, I do think upgrade purchases should have been saved until you’re back at the firehouse, with more intervals between levels for you to go back there. Just for “reality’s” sake. It’s barely a minor annoyance, just more of a “something I wish they did.”
Overall though, I’ve been giddier than Homer Simpson in a doughnut factory.
Yeah I thought those on-the-fly upgrades were weird too. I would of rather had the rookie go to Egon’s lab between missions and choose which upgrade(s) he wanted to add-on.
Another thing that I thought was weird was that the “ammo” used in the multiplayer makes the tubing on the pack change color. For example, the Stasis Beam makes the tubing glow blue, the Meson Collider makes the tubing glow yellow and the Slime Blower makes it glow green (just like the campaign). IMO, the tubing should stay green and the ammo capsule should be the only thing that changes color.
And finally, I was disappointed that the firehouse only had 2 floors and the basement. The firehouse clearly has 3 floors.
After having played through the library now, and having the slime tank mysteriously appear on the pack…I have to say yea. I’m kinda disappointed in how the upgrades were done.
Glad I’m not the only one. It’s weird that it’s just…there. The bosson dart was fine because the physical pack didn’t change, they were just letting you know about an upgrade they did and switching it on. The stasis beam didn’t seem to change the physical pack so I was ok with that (the pack opens up, but it doesn’t seem to change the standard pack like the other upgrades). The slime blower though…that came out of no where. All of a sudden you have a tank hanging off you and a hose is zip tied to your pack wire, and you have a metal slimer blower attachments. I mean at the very least do those upgrades prior to the level and then have Egon switch it on for you or something. Like have a cutscene with Egon and Ray upgrading your packs but telling you you can’t use it until you engage a certain enemy.
There are other continuity issues like jumping from one scene to another at some points. Like, Egon stayed at the fire house and then BOOM he’s at the museum telling us about the ghost world crossing over. Had this been a movie I am sure we would have had a scene where Egon is researching and comes to an epiphany, but being a game they didn’t bother with a non-event scene like that. Then there is the scene after the second visit to the hotel. All of a sudden Venkman is there and they are on a boat called Ecto-8. Where the hell is the part in between? Where did the boat come from? Why is it Ecto-8? Where are ecto’s 2-7?
Now for a game it doesn’t really matter to much, but most of us are equally interested in the story.
uh… the basement is the thrid floor as far as i hear.
There are other continuity issues like jumping from one scene to another at some points. Like, Egon stayed at the fire house and then BOOM he’s at the museum telling us about the ghost world crossing over. Had this been a movie I am sure we would have had a scene where Egon is researching and comes to an epiphany.
wiggy… thats exactly what happened, he was researching while the others investigated the museam, discovered something and came back to tell the others, met up with them and informed venkman.
it may not show it, but its obvious thats what happened. so its not really a continuity error.
and in all that time chasing allyssa and the chairmen through the museaum, Egon could have gotten in a cab and gotten there easily during that chase.
so i really dont think an extra scene would have been good.
we have to remember is a game, game elements like new weopons showng up at the needed time happens in games.
if it was a movie, then i would share my disapointment.
Just so that it’s stated:
In no way does the “magical pack upgrades” detract from my overall love for this game. I’m completely, eternally grateful for having such a wonderful gift that could have easily eluded us yet again. Overall, I have nothing but praise for the game and can see myself playing it over and over for the next several years.
The comments I made here about the pack are simply criticism, which I believe we’re all allowed to offer, so long as it’s not destructive.
Wiggy - As to the stasis upgrade, it actually does make a change happen in-game. The thrower gets bulkier.
ectomaster - No, the firehouse should have three above-ground floors. Discussion in this thread:
He was referring to the fact that the firehouse clearly has 3 floors ABOVE ground… geez.
The only thing that bothered me was, the fact that, you dont keep the upgrades after you beat the game. I think it would be cooler if, you could restart the game from the begining with ALL the upgrades. ![]()
There are other continuity issues like jumping from one scene to another at some points. Like, Egon stayed at the fire house and then BOOM he’s at the museum telling us about the ghost world crossing over. Had this been a movie I am sure we would have had a scene where Egon is researching and comes to an epiphany.
wiggy… thats exactly what happened, he was researching while the others investigated the museam, discovered something and came back to tell the others, met up with them and informed venkman.
it may not show it, but its obvious thats what happened. so its not really a continuity error.
and in all that time chasing allyssa and the chairmen through the museaum, Egon could have gotten in a cab and gotten there easily during that chase.
so i really dont think an extra scene would have been good.
we have to remember is a game, game elements like new weopons showng up at the needed time happens in games.
if it was a movie, then i would share my disapointment.
I know where he was, but it’s just odd that he appears as if being there the whole time. And like i said, had it been a movie we would have seen what he was doing but it’s a game so we don’t. I just find it a little jarring from a story point of view.
Also on the island Winston talks about various colors of slime but all I see is green and black. Did I miss something? I know there is a hidden artifact with various slime colors, but I assume he isn’t talking about that. Was the room originally full of different slime colors and got changed? I was looking forward to seeing some pink mood slime in there. Also I think it is implied that the black slime is the same stuff Vigo used, just more evil I guess.
in the Wii version
I seem to remember the lab full of all different colors of slime, pink, green yellow blue etc
Thats good to know. Seems that a lot of changes got made to make the game look scarier and “cooler” without thinking about what it might do to continuity. I wouldn’t be surprised if the slime was originally going to be pink, the stuff you use not the evil stuff, but they figured green was “cooler”. Same thing with the scene leading to the graveyard. Originally it was broad daylight but now it’s dark and gray, yet it was day when they left and the sun was out over the parade.
BTW, wasn’t there going to be a parade level where you had to bust the balloons? What happened to that? Did I just assume that based on the trailers? Could have sworn other people talked about it as well.
the only one that sorta bugged me was the slime blower… other than that, the game rocks!
Thats good to know. Seems that a lot of changes got made to make the game look scarier and “cooler” without thinking about what it might do to continuity. I wouldn’t be surprised if the slime was originally going to be pink, the stuff you use not the evil stuff, but they figured green was “cooler”. Same thing with the scene leading to the graveyard. Originally it was broad daylight but now it’s dark and gray, yet it was day when they left and the sun was out over the parade.
BTW, wasn’t there going to be a parade level where you had to bust the balloons? What happened to that? Did I just assume that based on the trailers? Could have sworn other people talked about it as well.
Ramis talked about it in an interview recently, apparently it got scrapped. It was referenced in one of the cut scenes (when they were watching the TV that’s on its side).
Back on topic, it’s funny the on the fly upgrading didn’t really bother me, but it did bother me that the other guys got the upgrades too. It kind of makes your “position” pointless since they get them simultaneously.
Back on topic, it’s funny the on the fly upgrading didn’t really bother me, but it did bother me that the other guys got the upgrades too. It kind of makes your “position” pointless since they get them simultaneously.
I did find the upgrade thing kind of strange, but it didn’t bother me that much either. I thought the same thing about the other guys using the upgrades, though. It really defeats the purpose of you being there if they’re going to use the stuff you were hired to test first. LOL I didn’t notice any of them using the meson collider, though. So at least there’s one piece of equipment they didn’t use.
If bothered me too, mainly when the slime equipment was added.