PSYCHOTIC Ghostbusters Fan

Having a myspace page devoted to my group of friends that helped me build the Ecto and who wear the suits to events, I get all kinds of crazy emails. I get friended by other Ghostbusters groups, tons of local organizations that want us in their top friends list, people who have seen the car around town and love it, people who are wondering whether or not we’re real, and loads of others that think what we’re doing is generally “cool.”

I’ve had a few messages from some nutters, one guy wrote a 4-page email about how he was a psychic vampire who could turn street lights off at will, and how it was his psychic power that led him to find a windshield wiper that fit his friends car (I’m not making this up).

But the other night I got a rather preachy email from this guy in New York who seemed to be… well, is there a word to describe this sort of person? Take a loot at his myspace page, especially some of his pictures! http://profile.myspace.com/211231759

Well his grammar sucks, his sentence structure is awful, and the things he has listed aren’t… really facts… just stories. I replied with this:

He replied soon after thusly:

I tried to diffuse his anger, he seems to like to talk so I figure I’d give him a chance to let it all out:

Well, that wasn’t very friendly…

That set him off.

My favorite parts are in how he argues. I guess I shouldn’t have called his personal friendship with Dan into question :\ Absolutely love the “I saw a show” bit, shows how he is doing his “research.” It’s fine and dandy that the first proton pack was made out of found parts… but did work? Did it actually bust ghosts? Then his girlfriend chimes in and boggles at how I don’t believe in the supernatural and like ghostbusters, I suppose it’s how I like Star Wars and not believe in the Force. Yeah? I say that Dan Aykroyd isn’t a nuclear physicist, and retorts that he is an actor, police officer, winemaker, writer, PI… but he’s still not a nuclear physicist. I love that he is telling us to stop pretending… then signs the letter “Ray and Egon.” Awesome.

So… I am blown away by this post. I call up Will (Benwahballboy) and ask him what he thinks. Will says that the things this guy is saying are so mind-blowingly stupid that he has to be messing with us, that this “Ray” persona is a fake entity, trying to lure me into a retarded argument. Sort of like provoking someone by saying the ozone doesn’t exist, you know? So I send another e-mail, not bothering to address what he has said because he has demonstrated that he is intellectually vacant and that no amount of rationale will sway him.

Because really… that’s what he is doing! I get this back.

Now I KNOW there is no hope of even talking to this guy. He criticizes our uniforms while he lacks a canon belt, the elbow pads, his pack seems to be made out of some kind of thermos, and his goggles appear to be made out of play-doh. I am torn, absolutely torn, between how I should feel about this. Should I be happy and joyous because of how many laughs this man has given me and my friends? Or should I be frustrated and angry because such a creature as him exists on this same earth. Is he proof that there is a God and he has a sense of humor, or that there is no God?

My last reply as of this post is this:

Haven’t heard back from him yet… maybe he’ll delight us with another intellectual dumping sometime in the future.

I just love the horrid grammar and the photos of his TV with the movie playing on it. I still maintain this is someone messing with you. Either that or this person never passed middle school english.

That’s not possible! You can’t fake this shit!

I just can’t accept that anyone in the world can be this… ignorant? No… dim? I don’t know, it’s just surreal how dumb that guy appears to be.

Like how, while reading it, you know you’ll wake up at any moment?

I used to think that there was no way anybody could be this stupid until I worked in a law office for five years.

You don’t get out much?

Been to the south? :lol:

I also read Dan Aykroyd’s book PSI Factor! Yes!

Oh wait.. it was a bunch of fictional stories wasn’t it? Like a novelization of the tv show? I don’t remember. It sucked.

… oh you dog… low blow man, low blow. :stuck_out_tongue:

wow…thats all i have to say…wow…that guy is a moron lol

HEY!..im from the south man lol…definately a low blow haha…but you are right…there are ALOT of people that dumb in the south

I can vouch for that one too.

Neat story. :lol:

Even though i do believe that there are people that crazy out there, reading it, i agree with benwahballboy that it seemed more like someone was messing with you… why? a lot of the stuff he goes on about seems like it was basically quoted or lifted from the movies (even his name), and a lot of the other stuff is easy to look up in 2 secs on the net (Dan Aykroyd info)… not just that but its a pretty easy idea to come up with… by that i mean getting a rise out of such an obvious fan of the movies as you by looking up some quick info and then pretending its all real and attacking you… even some of the ways he attacks you are just so easy…

I dunno. I think if he did that, he wouldn’t be so up in arms about it. Usually when you are putting someone on, you’re more relaxed and laid-back, not responding to everything with “no, fuck you!”

If he was putting me on, he would have continued the conversation.

Unless you take into account the fact that everyone is different..? Although, I didn’t go to school for eight years to become a psych doctor, so I’m not as good of a source as Mr. Akroyd is when it comes to paranormal investigation and nuclear science, but I like to think I’m not a straight replica of anyone else in the world.

You’re absolutely right about paranormal investigations not being real science. At least, not how it’s practiced now. I mean, it could be handled scientifically, but no one does that I know of.

First of all, the theories that have been put out have thus far all been guesses. Not just guesses, but random guesses that are not based on any real world observations. There’s nothing wrong with that per se, until you assume that the guess is true. Take for instance the very prevalent theory of EM surges indicating a ghostly presence. Whoever first theorized that EM surges may indicate paranormal activity made a random guess that had no basis. Again, nothing wrong with theorizing in that way, but the problem starts when you take it as fact. Until someone finds a way to provide some type of evidence to support this theory, it’s no better than fiction. Someone could just as easily theorize that an EM surge indicates a invisible alien using some type of personal cloaking device. The problem with either is that you can’t prove that it indicates whatever it supposedly indicates.

The theory of orbs has the same problem. This guy who emailed you talked as if it was a fact that orbs were a spiritual fingerprint. That’s just a guess someone made, and to take it as fact withpout anything to support it is the opposite of science.

The other problem the field of paranormal investigations is that the things they look for can come from any number of sources. For instance, EM fields are generated by so many different things that you never can say definitively where it’s coming from. Power lines or any type of electronic or electrical device generates EM. Static electricity can be generated through friction when you walk. The earth itself has its own magnetic field surrounding it. When paranormal investigators go out and measure EM fields, they could be detecting any number of different factors. Same thing with the orbs; could be a lens flare, or any other number of fluke tricks of light or lens (camera lenses can do a lot of weird stuff to light; auras, flares, spots, etc).

Another problem with the field is that the investigators are way to quick to jump to the conclusion that a certain observation supports their theory. In any other scientific field, you don’t make a declaration like that until you test the heck out of something over and over and over and in a huge variety of situations & taking every conceivable factor into consideration. If all you do is walk into a house, run a few sweeps for EM surges, record a couple of orbs, and then leave, you can’t then say, “there’s a spiritual presence here.” For one thing, as I said before, the idea that these observations indicate spiritual presences is a guess, so saying they indicate spirits is no more valid scientifically than saying that they indicate aliens. Also, I doubt the tests these paranormal investigators run are thorough more often than not. You can’t just say, “Well, I measured some EM fields, and I can eliminate a small handful of possible sources, so it must indicate ghosts.” With real science, as I said, you have to be exceedingly thorough before you can make any conclusions.

Another problem with the field is that before you can go out and run actual field tests, you have to do a lot of homework before hand. No, that doesn’t mean studying stories of hauntings. That means not simply assuming EM fields, orbs, etc indicate ghosts, but thinking through all the possibilities. You need to come up with a testable and provable theory. Sweeping for EM is a test, but the results are wide open to interpretation, so to prove the theory of EM indicating ghosts, you have to do more than measure EM. It seems to me that most paranormal investigators are too anxious to grab their cameras and EM detectors and go scan for ghosts.

Another problem is that a lot of paranormal investigators seem to put too much weight on the validity of stories. Just because a few people say that they had some type of paranormal experience doesn’t mean that you take it at face value. This kind of heresay would never hold up in court. Stories of hauntings that are passed around have zero scienfitic value. For one thing, stories often become exaggerated the more they are repeated. Second, if you take everything told to you at face value, you’re opening yourself up for the people who like to create hoaxes. Third, if you weren’t there yourself, you can’t verify the facts. Someone may very well have seen something, but there could have been another explanation, and it’s impossible to know.

I would also doubt that the experiments that are conducted are done scientifically. Scanning for stuff in a haunted house is not enough. Any real experiment needs a control. This is not optional; it’s 100% necessary. A base line needs to be established. I’ve personally never heard of a paranormal investigation that did not take place at a supposedly haunted location. The problem is that you *at least *need to also run these same tests in a place that is not haunted so you have something to compare. Of course, I also think that people need to develop some better ways of testing for paranormal stuff that *isn’t *based on an unprovable assumption from the start, but I already talked about that. Again, the idea of creating a control isn’t simply a “good idea,” it’s a crucial, integral part of any *scientific *experiment, and I’ve never heard of anyong doing it.

Now, I am not saying that all this means that ghosts don’t exist. I’m saying at the moment we don’t know, and unless someone comes up with a valid way to determine their existance, then all we have is plain and simple speculation. I am also saying that if paranormal investigators want to be taken seriously, there needs to be a complete paradigm shift. Paranormal investigators need to be way more through & skeptical, and not be so quick to adopt every theory. They need to think critically, and come up with a way to prove the existance of the paranormal that isn’t wide open to interpretation. Never make assumptions, think for yourself, be extremely thorough, and don’t be too quick to make conclusions. Don’t simply take it for fact that EM equals ghost, or that orbs equal a “spritial fingerprint.”

Another thing, I realize that EM and orbs aren’t the only signs that paranormal investigators look for, but the same principles hold true for any of them. They’re based on someone’s guess, and simply looking for them in a haunted location doesn’t accomplish anything towards supporting the base theory either way. A true scientist is skeptical of everything, and never takes anything at face value. They don’t declare anything as truth until they’ve proved it to some degree at least, and nothing in the paranormal field has been proven in any degree thus far (sorry, but it’s all guesswork at the moment).

Ok, that’s enough. Sorry if this rambles a bit. :oops:

To sum it up:

To create a theroy you must do everything you can and use every law you know to disprove that theroy and even then you should submit it to your peers before you even announce it as a fact and even at this point I’d be waryof saying that it is a fact.

Yeah, you need to actually prove your theory. It doesn’t have to be 100% proven (nothing ever really is), but there has to be some pretty darn good support. You don’t latch onto every theory that comes along, and you don’t take everything people say at face value. I guess this can be a problem in any science, but it plagues the paranormal sciences particularly. If these guys want to be taken seriously, they need to act seriously & stop believing everything that comes along and not expect us to believe wild conclusions drawn from shaky evidence. Take the time and do it right.

Praise God for the skeptics. :lol: Oh, and I thought we were talking about a crazy guy with MySpace..? What happened with that?

Ever notice that the smartest people in the world are aware of how much is unknown in the universe, and the dumbest people in the world think they are the smartest ones on the planet?