Questions to those who've made a Pack.

If I made my own pack it’d pretty much just to be novelty. To sit somewhere and look badass. >_> Maybe wear it once to be a dork… Thing is however I’m not really a handy guy, nor do I have any tools to really do anything with. Buying tools and all that is one thing, but I brought it up to further push the point that I’m by far a mister-fix-it kinda guy.

So to those who’ve made one, should I even be considering making one? I’d hate to get into it then halfway through realise I was just not cut out to hobble together a pack. That or I’d end up with a dancing toaster instead… either way I would feel distraught.

Side question: I’m curious if there’s anyway of making the old RGB figures proton pack neutrona wand look more like the toons instead of a giant flashlight? That always bugged me. Popped into my head as I was typing up this pack question, so figured I’d ask.

Before I made my proton pack it’d been 9 years since I’d used any tools and that was in high school. If you can measure and can cut along a line, you can make a proton pack. My best advice is to read thoroughly on here of other people’s builds, see what build techniques and also what materials they use, I spent the best part of a month just reading people’s builds before starting my own. It allowed me to familiarise myself with tricky bits and methods for a sturdy build. Oh and trust me, once it’s finished, it won’t be off your back, mine’s been done for months now and it get’s switched on daily :wink:

i myself, have never taken shop class or anything of that nature, I simply jumped right in on my first pack using old tools I borrowed from friends or family, the only experience I had was from watching DIY tv shows lol. Everything Bob has said holds true, but on my side of it, just undertsand that this project WILL take a couple months, in that respect, start this pack like most do… in sections, build the gunbox then the gear box… etc , it will make everything a lot easier to handle than tackling it all at once,

or build one up from a shell ; )

if you can spare the extra cash to buy a shell and resin parts, thanks to this forum, you barely have to fabricate anything. Check out the for sale section, a few members sell pack shells for around $250. After that youll probably only need a drill for the motherboard mounting and other parts, small rivet gun if you wanna be dead on accurate to how the motherboard is attatched- or you could just use bolts and some basic hand tools

Buy a Dremel. It will come in handy.

Quite a few members have built RGB Proton Packs and have turned out awesome!

Check the Proton packs section :slight_smile:

You’ll find a lot of info there and can ask questions as well.

If I can build a pack, anyone can. I’m as mechanically inept as you can be. Just take your time, don’t rush anything, and use the awesome WIP threads here for reference.

Building mine, I only used a Dremel, a screw gun, and a Rivel tool.

If you buy all those tools, consider it an investment for future projects (more props or even better yet, to fix or build stuff around the house). Every garage needs a dremel, drill and bits, belt sander, hot glue gun, work bench, jig saw, air compressor…

Or you can always buy a built pack on e-bay or from someone on this site.

I have NO skills and am trying it, so give it a shot, start with something you think you can handle and post pics on here so the experienced can help! They’ve already helped me with tips!

I’ve only had a semester in shop class, and only learned how to do welding over 2 class periods. I recommend shell buying if you’re inexperienced and are not that good with tools. All you need is a dremel, paint, and a drill set. Many people here offer the parts you need in resin to make life easier.

Believe me, it’s very daunting, and I am only 15 and I am going for it! Needless to say, I really have no idea what I am doing at times, but it’s a good learning experience and I’m getting very good over time.

I started out with a shell, and assembled my first pack. Now, I’ve gone back and am building out from scratch. Trust me, it’s definately daunting, but it’s so worth it. It’s alot of fun, and it will ■■■■ you off, but that’s all part of the beautiful melancholy of building a prop. Go for it!