Tools and talent

Something I don’t believe I have seen here yet is a list of the most essential tools needed to build a proton pack. I’ve seen a lot of build threads, with people using a wide variety of tools, BUT-

As a first time builder, with absolutely no power tools and very limited experience with them in general, it would be very helpful to know what I’m going to be needing.

So, yea.

What are the MOST ESSENTIAL tools needed to build a pack/thrower?

Jigsaw, maybe a scrollsaw or band saw. After that a drill with various bits. Screws and taps are a must.

If you can get yours hands on some CNC tools like laser cutter, water jet or 3D printers your life will be made 1000x easier.

Soldering iron, screw drivers, maybe a chisel.

Honestly it depends on how experienced you are at utilizing these tools. Everyone builds differently

How are you planning on building? A scratch pack will need different tools than a shell pack. A lot depends on how much you plan to make yourself, and how much you will source. I have made a pack from foam board and eva foam that only needed a ruler, exacto knife, glue, paint and a drill.

I’m using the GBFans shell with resin parts.

One of the most useful tools for a pack build is a step drill bit; this will make drilling most of the holes (particularly through aluminum) much easier.

Appreciating the tips, guys! As I’ve said, this will be my first foray into prop making. I’ve been following this forum for probably about a decade, and finally decided it was time. Been steadily amassing parts for the past couple months and I can not wait to finally make this dream a reality.

I would suggest checking out how others have done it already. If you really can’t figure it out from pictures and posts you can always write up a post asking how others went about theirs. I’ve also been working away on a Shell build and can tell you Demon Vice Commander is Right, if you plan on buying as many pre-fabricated parts you can, you really need a handy cordless drill and a step bit or two.

Drill

Variety of drill bits including step bits

Dremel

Calipers/measuring tools

Tap set

Alan key set

Off the top of my head these were my essentials

Thanks, gents!

I noticed no one has mentioned a rivet gun- I was under the impression that that would be something I would need?

I don’t know you necessarily need any particular fancy rivet gun, a hand riveter should do. The amount of rivets in the final build (Assuming you’re going as hard towards screen-accurate as you can) is pretty minimal.

A rivet gun depends on whether you are doing a Hero or Semi Hero build

I’m not sure I know the difference, but I would imagine semi-hero.

Semi Hero = GB2 for the most part. If so then you have no real need for a rivet gun as the shell is mounted via pozihead bolts

I am aiming for GB2 pack, so thanks for that clarification!

There’s a handy reference thread that goes over the explicit differences of all the different screen accurate builds, GBFans.com