RGB Kenner Figures Proton Packs

Hey Everyone,

Was just wondering if anyone knew why some of my original series RGB guys by Kenner have the hose connecting the pack and the gun coming out of the bottom of the pack, and some have them coming out the middle of the cyclotron? I just noticed this today when I was cleaning all the figures and their ghosts.

I have 4 full sets of the original 1st series guys and it’s pretty much right down the middle. I have 10 packs coming out the middle of the cyclotron, and 8 packs coming out of the bottom of the pack. Anyone know why the difference?

Actually, I just jumped on ebay and found a pic of a lot with both hoses coming from the middle of the cycloton and from the bottom of the pack.

You can see the difference in the pic. The first pack comes out the bottom and the other two out the middle of the cyclotron.

I had no idea? Now I gotta go see what I got.

The packs with the hose connecting at the bottom of the pack were the first variant of the original USA figure releases from 1986-1987.

image

The packaging and the packs were changed slightly when these figures were re-released in 1988.

image

More info here: Webs.com has been shut down: Find out more

The purple packs released with the Slimed Hero figures, and the glow in the dark ones with the Ecto-Glow line, also had the connections in the middle of the pack. It was probably either easier/cheaper to do that way, or they thought the connection would be stronger.

I had no idea that the first series was released in 1988. Back then, the only RGB figures I saw at the toy stores were the Screaming Heroes and Fright Features.

I definitely remember them, the best franchise of my childhood!

Sorry if I confused anyone wwith my last post. What I ment was I did not remember the first series action figures getting a release in 1988.