So I decided that I’ve had my fun with Ghostbuster Luigi and I really want to do RGB Venkman (I’ll buy another suit if I wanna go back/do a normal GB1 suit). I have a standard flight suit and the normal GB1 color. I figured it would be pretty easy to get the suit from tan/grey to a rich brown with dye, but how do I make the collar, arm cuffs and leg bottoms forest green? Should I use color remover on those parts specifically after I dye it brown?
Side note: I’m just using the normal suit because even though sometimes the RGB suits seem to have polo-like collars sometimes, in the production art and on screen they have the flight suit rounded collar at other times. (I’m open to opinions suggestions about this)
Well dude I was planning on making an RGB Ray, and an RGB Peter suit for my little bros! I haven’t found luck with finding flight suits in their size that is a light tan so I can dye them. I resorted to the kids costume that they sell. Since they don’t have cuffs on them I just simply bought two cheap sweat suits at walmart for like five bucks. One was the correct green for the venkman suit and I had to buy the other one white for the ray suit because they didn’t have the correct color, so I plan on just dyeing them. Why did I buy sweat suits you may say, I just cutt off the cuffs and sewed them on to the dyed costume! I didn’t have to dye the ray suit I just dyed the cuffs a tad darker brown and that’s all. The Venkman suit had to be dyed, then I sewed on the cuffs. for the collars I tried two things I color stripped one to dye it green but it came out crapy, so I just used a polo shirt of the same exact color and vioala an Rgb Venkman suit. I’m going to make myself one out of the adult costume they are much closer to the cartoon version than an actual flight suit besides I wouldn’t want you to mess up your flight suit.
Well I got my flight suit for a pretty decent price. I think I am going to use it for RGB Venkman. I’ll just remove the cigarrette holder on the arm. Anyone with dyeing experience have any suggestions? Its a tru-spec suit and is 35% cotton, 65% polyester.
It would be really hard to use traditional dye on just the collar without having it bleed like mad. There are fabric spray paints, now, though… I wonder how that might look since you could easily tape off/cover the rest of the suit and apply it to the desired area… hm…
I’m progressing slowly and I’m going to be building the skeleton to my Proton pack soon. I’ll post pics when it actually looks like something. Would you guys say the web belts are darker in the cartoon than the movies? They seem to be a dark gray matching the actual pad part on the elbow pads or sometimes darker.
yes the straps are much darker and the varies from episode to episode dark gray, black, etc, thats something i didnt get to this year but wont be missed next year. i wish u luck.
I’ve been pondering this for a while (if only pondering could earn you money, I’d be a millionaire by now) and I decided the best way to get an accurate (for the majority of the suit time shown on screen) flightsuit would be to buy a boiler suit in the desired colour. They come in Venkman brown, Spengler blue, Zeddemore green and Stantz khaki (although the khaki ones are easily the hardest to find). Put a zip up the front, two slanted zips for the breast pockets, replace/ add the coloured material to the collars and cuffs, and there you go! We did something very similar a few years ago when we couldn’t get real flightsuits, and it’s unbelievably easy providing you have access to a sewing machine. Just a little something for you to ponder over
Let me start off by saying first off that both the costumes posted in this thread look AWESOME…
…but I always thought that Venkman’s collar/cuffs were WAY more into Navy Blue territory. In a few episodes maybe a little more blue/green, but definitely on the blue side. I don’t mean to raise a fuss, but I’ve been wondering about this for awhile and as I’ve gone through a ton of episodes and I haven’t found one instance where it looks more green than blue. Now, in some seasons it’s more obvious due to the clarity of animation, like the difference between season 1 and season 3, but still, no green, or at least more not more green than blue anyway. There were a few later episodes where it was almost sky blue with a little green tint, but the for the majority of the series, I always saw it as somewhere between Dark navy blue and a darker shade of blue green. Maybe I’m seeing it wrong.
Again though, the suits look great. I really have no room to talk as I’ve never attempted any sort of RGB prop or costume. though I hope to one day.
hey, Ecto. Do you have any pics of you as RGB Egon other than the one that you made your signature? maybe ive seen them before, but nothing’s coming to mind.