RGB's influence on GB2...

I’ve been watching volume 1 of RGB a bunch (its all I have at the moment) and I swear…it seems like a lot of stuff seen in GB2 is lifted straight from the cartoon series. Not plot lines per se, but entire ideas. If you compare the first movie to the second, it’s blatantly obvious how much more ‘cartoony’ the 2nd one is. Right down to Slimer hanging around the firehouse. But that’s not all…

-several times the RGBs are under the city, in the sewers, etc

-in the “Night Game” episode the baseball stadium is surrounded with a wall of energy and the guys can’t get in.

I’m sure I could think of some more. I just want to see if anyone else noticed this.

I agree, I think it’s part of what some people have against the movie(not me) I personally never saw the movie as being that geared toward kids. Definitely the influence is there, Slimer included, maybe why Winston is sans mustache, no real smoking etc. I still think there’s enough dark stuff to the movie, and enough swearing…(■■■■■■■■ and ■■■■■)

But I digress! I think they found a nice balance between not alienating kids that were fans of the cartoon(even though most of them might have already seen the movie) and still have the adult elements and scary stuff still in place a bit. Those are my thoughts though. :wink:

I did think about some of those specific things, even in Apocalypse-- What Now? The characters name I believe is “Father Janosz” whether or not that’s the spelling.. :angryvigo:

RGB really broadened the fan base to children and people involved in the development of GBll were very aware. I do think the second movie tailored to children more then the first one did. I adored GBll as a kid. But as an adult I think GBll suffered some from the tailoring. I don’t want to get GBll supporters heated. I like GBll. I still watch it as often as the first one. So many tones were changed though, from the smoking, drinking, atmospheres, and soundtrack. One of the producers (who produced both GBll and RGB) even said if there was no RGB there would have been no Slimer in GBll. So saying the new younger audience didn’t influence the movie is being in denial.

In that case I can’t say I’m not glad there was some influence. Granted we could have used a little more slimer and a less goofy look for the ghost in GB2, I do appreciate his little camea and think a larger role or a continuing theme would be appropriate for GB3. Thanks to the cartoon he is almost seen as part of the team and at this point almost a symbol of the franchise just as much as the no-ghost logo.

shit i think some of the RGB episodes had better storylines then GB2. still with that being said it still doesn’t stop me from enjoying the movie. :wink:

From a marketing and business side of things it was 100% the right descision. From a fan stand point, just not so much. However they got out of it exactly what they wanted.

I wonder how much of RGB the cast had seen after its release. Had there been a live-action series like Moranis mentioned I’m sure they would have drawn parallel to some of the episodes in a serious light.

:vinzclortho: "I’m walking around saying we should do a series, ya know? Thursday nights at 9 o’clock “Ghostbusters!”

Meh, even if we got a live action sereis they would have prolly just explored the franchise possibilities sooner knowing they could not get the original cast to do an ongoing show AND they wouldn’t want tor e-cast do to the knew and thriving popularity if the films. Think like the Highlander sereis. Find a character or group of characters you can somehow link to the franchise in a similar light and run off with it.

I glad someone posted this topic. I’ve been meaning to talk about this. Yeah I noticed this as well when I bought Volume 4 of The Real Ghostbusters VHS here in the UK. It contained the episodes Night Game which as you said has a baseball stadium covered in a shell of energy that can’t be penetrated. Although in this episode the Ghostbusters proton beams are effective in creating a hole to get through unlike in GB II.

The other episode on the tape was Beneath These Streets. Another obvious example where you have Manhattan threatened by orange jell rising to the surface out of the sewers to cover the city.

I think the distributors saw the similarities as well. The reason being the video was released in 1989. Coincidence, I think not!

Let us not forget “A Hard Knight’s Day”: Venkman’s girlfriend is menaced by an undead tyrant from a tapestry. I thought of that episode immediately when I saw GB 2

in one of the later season “hang your head in shame” episodes, the Ninja Tu…I mean the Mean Green Teen Machine…slimes the Statue of Liberty to “cheer her up” as they say she’s “sooo solemn” and she briefly “comes to life”

aside from this, it seems like the later seasons weren’t very subtle with their movie and TV references…instead opting to blatantly mention and parody them a lot. :lol: as I’ve noted in a lot of the later season trivia on the site :wink: