Riggs' Scratch MDF Smoker Trap with Custom Pedal

I had some left over MDF from my pack build so I ventured to build a trap. I used Sean’s measurements and the template from JT001 found here: http://www.joseballesteros.com/misc/gb/jt001-trap-templates-v1.pdf (These are pretty good to get you started, but you will have to add and subtract from some parts as they aren’t bang on. They’re an excellent start though but its good to cross reference everything with Seans and other plans before you commit to attaching pieces.

Just a note, I built this last July so my memory may be a little foggy on some of it.

After cutting the templates and tracing, and measuring, I got the jigsaw out and off I went.

![image](http://www.gbfans.com/images/pb/Riggs45/MDF Smoker Trap_IMG_2564_zpsnihvsp8k.jpg)

![image](http://www.gbfans.com/images/pb/Riggs45/MDF Smoker Trap_IMG_2571_zpsmfrbrngc.jpg)

Template for the front indicator traced onto my signature mini blind slats.

![image](http://www.gbfans.com/images/pb/Riggs45/MDF Smoker Trap_IMG_2575_zpsbtavgevc.jpg)

![image](http://www.gbfans.com/images/pb/Riggs45/MDF Smoker Trap_IMG_2576_zps6e7jiqtj.jpg)

![image](http://www.gbfans.com/images/pb/Riggs45/MDF Smoker Trap_IMG_2638_zpswpxhmpie.jpg)

![image](http://www.gbfans.com/images/pb/Riggs45/MDF Smoker Trap_IMG_2640_zpsjvifehx9.jpg)

![image](http://www.gbfans.com/images/pb/Riggs45/MDF Smoker Trap_IMG_2611_zpsdydu52zi.jpg)

![image](http://www.gbfans.com/images/pb/Riggs45/MDF Smoker Trap_IMG_2618_zpsfi7p9ph6.jpg)

Here I was trying to template the battery top on the rear, I used some thin plastic from an old VHS case. This wasnt the final product.

![image](http://www.gbfans.com/images/pb/Riggs45/MDF Smoker Trap_IMG_2628_zpsa5vvnrgo.jpg)

As you see, I went 1 piece for the trap doors. For the slot on the top to simulate 2 doors I just used a hacksaw and cut down a little ways to create the line. I should also note, the inner cartridge sides have been cut out to reduce the weight on the trap. So the inner sides are just basically “L’s”.

![image](http://www.gbfans.com/images/pb/Riggs45/MDF Smoker Trap_IMG_2631_zpsx7oiry9g.jpg)

Added the front of the cartridge.

![image](http://www.gbfans.com/images/pb/Riggs45/MDF Smoker Trap_IMG_2637_zpsvfrlc19e.jpg)

![image](http://www.gbfans.com/images/pb/Riggs45/MDF Smoker Trap_IMG_2650_zpsal6ysq3h.jpg)

Handle and hole for the battery pack light.

![image](http://www.gbfans.com/images/pb/Riggs45/MDF Smoker Trap_IMG_2651_zpsc5puim9y.jpg)

Battery box

![image](http://www.gbfans.com/images/pb/Riggs45/MDF Smoker Trap_IMG_2657_zpsm2qirokk.jpg)

1/4 20 Furniture screws into the square dowels inside to be able to bolt it onto the trap.

![image](http://www.gbfans.com/images/pb/Riggs45/MDF Smoker Trap_IMG_2654_zpsngjjkluj.jpg)

![image](http://www.gbfans.com/images/pb/Riggs45/MDF Smoker Trap_IMG_2664_zpsrra4tweu.jpg)

Lots and lots of filling and sanding.

![image](http://www.gbfans.com/images/pb/Riggs45/MDF Smoker Trap_IMG_2667_zps5oq9rtm0.jpg)

![image](http://www.gbfans.com/images/pb/Riggs45/MDF Smoker Trap_IMG_2666_zpsskjs2cft.jpg)

![image](http://www.gbfans.com/images/pb/Riggs45/MDF Smoker Trap_IMG_2670_zpskrrdjysb.jpg)

![image](http://www.gbfans.com/images/pb/Riggs45/MDF Smoker Trap_IMG_2671_zpsv6bcgxxr.jpg)

Primer! ( I hadn’t cut the inner cartridge sides yet) I primed it all before glue to make sure every piece was sealed up. I didn’t want it to start to swell once I ran vapor in this thing.

![image](http://www.gbfans.com/images/pb/Riggs45/MDF Smoker Trap_IMG_2672_zpsvgu7p0cn.jpg)

Dry fit. Looking like a trap!

![image](http://www.gbfans.com/images/pb/Riggs45/MDF Smoker Trap_IMG_2703_zpsae1jv7rt.jpg)

![image](http://www.gbfans.com/images/pb/Riggs45/MDF Smoker Trap_IMG_2705_zpsmx1acsmm.jpg)

Is there anything you can’t do?!? ■■■■■■ show off [emoji1]

This thing is a beaut. Just wanna see the rest of the build :slight_smile:

LOL You always know just what to say to make a fellow Buster feel good!

So you shall my good man!

So after the dry fit, was tear down, rebuild, sand, primer, sand, fill, primer, sand, fill, primer, sand. (I think thats about the order) MDF requires lots of smoothing and sealing, and I made sure to do all this before it went together so it was sealed everywhere before it became 1 piece.

![image](http://www.gbfans.com/images/pb/Riggs45/MDF Smoker Trap_IMG_2945_zps4asho1pq.jpg)

![image](http://www.gbfans.com/images/pb/Riggs45/MDF Smoker Trap_IMG_2946_zpszqi4p01g.jpg)

![image](http://www.gbfans.com/images/pb/Riggs45/MDF Smoker Trap_IMG_2950_zpstxlrdjft.jpg)

![image](http://www.gbfans.com/images/pb/Riggs45/MDF Smoker Trap_IMG_2961_zpsbvnygd8x.jpg)

This little rubber washer was glued in to keep the red LED on the battery lid in place. Its the right diameter for the light to squeeze in and stay in place.

![image](http://www.gbfans.com/images/pb/Riggs45/MDF Smoker Trap_IMG_2977_zpsckzbgk1t.jpg)

The handle with a good undercoat of chrome paint.

![image](http://www.gbfans.com/images/pb/Riggs45/MDF Smoker Trap_IMG_2978_zpshgqqalim.jpg)

![image](http://www.gbfans.com/images/pb/Riggs45/MDF Smoker Trap_IMG_2983_zpsylonlx7c.jpg)

![image](http://www.gbfans.com/images/pb/Riggs45/MDF Smoker Trap_IMG_2984_zpsh4qe9odm.jpg)

![image](http://www.gbfans.com/images/pb/Riggs45/MDF Smoker Trap_IMG_3040_zpsddk03iyf.jpg)

I was going to do aluminum side plates, but to save money I went with old laminate floor sheets. They were good and cheap.

![image](http://www.gbfans.com/images/pb/Riggs45/MDF Smoker Trap_IMG_2981_zpsokvmyfkc.jpg)

![image](http://www.gbfans.com/images/pb/Riggs45/MDF Smoker Trap_IMG_2980_zpsyt4fytsn.jpg)

![image](http://www.gbfans.com/images/pb/Riggs45/MDF Smoker Trap_IMG_2979_zpsjwrdxnho.jpg)

Here they are primed up with Nikatron’s amazing knobs and side rods. Seriously, he had these shipped to my door so quick! And the parts themselves are fantastic.

![image](http://www.gbfans.com/images/pb/Riggs45/MDF Smoker Trap_IMG_3016_zps4nwbvwoh.jpg)

And heres the smoke kit courtesy of Jimfin and Sephiroth.. These kits are second to none and make this job so easy!

![image](http://www.gbfans.com/images/pb/Riggs45/MDF Smoker Trap_IMG_3004_zpsefu92lga.jpg)

I bought this this reflective hazard tape off of ebay super cheap. I originally bought it thinking the stripe pattern would be the right size, but..nope.. So I used electrical tape to measure out the stripes and cut out the lines to 1" stripes.

image

image

The doors have a chrome undercoat here. Youll also see the door pins. That is to hold the doors in place to work with the magnets. I just cut down some finishing nails and glued them into small holes I drilled into the end of the doors.

image

Painted the doors and got the front indicator into place with the lights in them.

image

I used some leftover neck foam from my pack build to secure the light into place. The lights are masked off in these shots.

image

image

For the front indicator lens, I used an old cassette tape case. It has the right lenticular design and unlike a CD case it is wider.

image

Here it is ready for paint.

image

So after paint, heres the lens in place, and the rest of the trap painted.

image

image

image

The quick release for the hose isnt the right size, but I bought it cheap at home depot. Its a little big.

image

image

More to come.

This really is bad ass!! Can’t wait to see it complete

I bought my smoke kit from the amazing Finchers. These guys have revolutionized the smoking anything. Heres the kit. If you live in Canada like I do, you cant build this kit as cheap and easy as you can buy it from them (Disclaimer as of 2015 rates before the American dollar turned to the ridiculous. Its probably still worth it..its awesome and easy )

image

For the custom pedal, I took inspiration from Jack Doud’s build and went the RGB route. I just like the Real Ghostbusters trap Pedal more than the movie version…and it was cheaper for me. So I used a PVC end cap, an Ovaltine lid and some scratch built mini blind parts (imagine that)

image

image

image

image

Painted and with some rubber that you buy for the bottom of doors. Also, some 4-40 screws (The same ones for the top of the battery cartridge on the trap) and some decals and a computer ribbon cable.

image

image

You can see here the piece that attached the ribbon cable to the body. This is from a child proof cupboard lock. Its the part that the hook connects to if that makes sense.

image

Youll see my quick connects for the hose are too big to be screen accurate, I bought them from Home Depot and they arent the accurate size, but close enough for me on this build. Also, for the pedal, I used a piece of foam underneath, so when you push it, it bounces back up. It works well, but a spring may be a better option.

image

image

Labels

image

image

image

Side by side with Kenner pedal.

image

For the Nickatron dials (which are amazing!) I just tapped some screws into them.

image

image

Same with the side rods. (Nickatron as well, you cant beat them)

image

Nickatron Resistor painted gold.

image

And now, a littering of pics that sum up the rest of it.

image

image

image

image

image

The wheels, I would suggest using 2 screws underneith to secure the tracks for the wheels, mine moves

image

With V hook

image

Smokin!

image

image

For the plate that the smoke kit comes through, I used a method I saw on Wiz’s build that we also applied to Hoots build (Go check it out for more detail) I used a plastic elbow, some mini blind pieces and some hose.

image

I made it with a scratch built spinner lock kind of attachment.The name of this escapes me. The bolt on top turns to unlock it.

image

image

image

image

With a kenner trap for fun.

image

10 feet of acrylic tube under 10 feet of 1/4" splitloom for the hose. I also used magnets to hold the trap doors in place. The rear of the doors are held with pins and magnets (as seen earlier, and the front with only magnets.)

image

image

image

image

image

Since then there has been more weathering. This thing has been banged around harder than… Well never mind that, but its been used hard so it shows the wear. This trap has made its rounds, has been dropped, worn, poisoned, stabbed, shot, hung, stretched, disemboweled, drawn and quartered… and led many a “hot trap” run. Its still going strong. I bought a holster from Franchesky for it that I bent to fit to perfectly. If I were to change anything would be the acrylic hose and split loom. I would do the reinforced hose and rubber line like GrimmyGB used. Every time I try and hold the trap by the hose, the splitloom pulls away and I dont trust its strength when holding it. So check that thread out for more details on it… Its the way to go. Otherwise, this trap has been a show stopper many times. just be sure to seal up the MDF and wipe it down after use of the smoke kit because I have has some swelling due to moisture… Enjoy!

Seriously dude!! This looks absolutely stunning. You should be very proud

That’s a beautiful Trap. :slight_smile:

Thanks Gents!