SabbyLabs Proton Pack WIP

Okay, I finally got my hands on a digital camera, so I’ve got some pics to share.

First off, Yours Truly:

I know this pic doesn’t show off the leg hose. It’s there. This is just one of the better angles to view the hat at that distance. It also has feathers, but you can’t see them at this angle (they mostly stay behind the hat). And yes, I wear that hat in public. Morlock Enterprises makes the ninja headbands with the NO sign (no ghost in it as of yet), but I’m still on the fence for buying one.. I better get off that fence one way or another soon or time will make my decision for me.

Here, we have the main workbench of SabbyLabs, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Saborlas Is Awesome, Inc.

Yes, I’m getting a late start, but I have just about everything I need and I work VERY flexible hours. This pack will be done by Halloween, I’m sure I’m about to set a record for semi-accurate proton pack speed builds. Now that I’ve mentally broken it down into chunks, it doesn’t look very hard at all. I’m amazed I didn’t try this sooner. Nothing I didn’t learn in wood shop class, so far.

Yes, that’s my old Kenner trap. While waiting for various things to dry, I’ve been re-doing the paint job I did when I was around 11. Maybe I’ll throw a dollar store blinky light circuit in there. Blinky lights make everything cool.

And here we have more of the SabbyLabs bench. Look at all the scrounged items. Many of them might actually get used! For thsoe who don’t know, the purple tubes are Household Goop. That stuff takes a while to set, but it holds together quite well.

My pack frame. That flashlight is pretty old, I wouldn’t be surprised if it was the one my great-uncle used in WWII when he served on the African front. Wouldn’t be the first bit of his gear that still sees use, as I’ve grown fond of his sea bag.

Since the 1:1 motherboard plans come out too small if you forget to disable the margins, I’ve decided that proton technology has advanced sufficiently for a slightly smaller pack. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it. Since the takeout dishes I’m using for my cyclotron are smaller, it works. I’ve a fair amount of insulation foam, I figure I can make three or four cutouts of the asynchronous generator and glue 'em all together. Carve a hollow central area for electronics, I should be good. I can always re-do it next year for con season. I mean, who’s gonna complain about size when I heat that sucker up?

More to come. Feel free to post snarky comments on late starts, unasked-for advice, nonspecific praise, ad nauseum quotes from the movies… you know, the usual shenanigans (I keed, I keed!).

I have that same headband. lol The guy that runs Morlock is a really awesome guy to talk to. I spent about an hour or ao at MTAC here in Tennessee talking to him about props, and such. But, yeah, I just couldn’t resist anything that has Kuroneko-sama on it. :slight_smile:

Looking good, so far. Not sure about the “smaller pack” deal, but, then again, the XGB packs were significantly smaller, so…

Chris

It’ll be an inch off each side, I think. Not really noticeable, except by Ghostheads. The next one, I’m just ordering the MB from MMM.

Off to Radio Shack I go!

Check my thread out for myt pack builds.. I used insulation foam a lot as well.

Okay, the Radio Shack near my place is made of FAIL and SUCK. All DPDT switches were out of stock. When I asked for a breadboard, I got a look like they thought I should be looking in the kitchen department of Sears. I walked away with far less than intended. Oh, well. Not every Radio Shack is staffed by people who know anything about DIY electronics. These folks clearly thought plugging in their Xbox themselves was as DIY as it gets.

So here we have my A-sync. Well, the first of three such cutouts. I’m spraying the outside edges with spray glue because it turns out this is the STYROFOAM insulation and it crumbles like Slimer’s willpower in a candy shop. I can probably get enough there to get something I can lightly sand to proper smoothness. Yes, I cleaned it up a bit after I took this picture.

Began work on the bumper. It’s a little rough right now, I’ll fix it up when I finish it tomorrow. Still freshman year wood shop territory.

Hey, wait a minute! Why am I doing all this work? I already HAVE a proton pack! Oh, SWEET! Oh… there’s no WAY I can fit my arms through those straps now. Righty-right.

I gotta get a working CD player down there. I burned an Ultimate Ghostbusters mix (Xentrix was involved). I get down there to find that the old boom box took a swan dive at some point and now it doesn’t recognize a CD when it’s put in the tray.

Just a bit of advise: Save yourself a TON of work, and get the denser insulation foam from Lowe’s or home depot.

Yer going to need every minute you can snag.

image

Just updating to report that I haven’t fallen off the planet, I’m just working my ass off and haven’t had time to post pix here. I’ll probably post the rest of the making-of pix after Halloween, but a completed pack pic should hit before the 31st.

It won’t be perfectly accurate, but it’ll be impressive for a speed-build. One week remaining. I don’t even have time to play the game anymore. :sigh:

The speakers come on Monday (or so the tracking company says). I hope I don’t lose more than an hour “testing” the sound circuits. The temptation to just play with the switches and hear the sounds is gonna be AWFUL.

There are like 3-4 bars in Davis Square, I’m wondering if they’re gonna have costume contests. It’d be nice to get something back for all this effort.

You sir, are awesome. SUPER awesome if you can actually pull this off. I really hope you didn’t keep that foam you started with, and took Gareee’s advice on the denser insulation foam. I honestly believe you pack will last much longer that way.

It not just durability.. the pellet foam is just impossible to do anything but the most basic construction with.

I’m even using insulation foam in our ecto car police light!