So it is my understanding that you believe there is a conspiracy to have 10 individuals collectively vote and change their opinion to downvote something they don’t agree with? Yet. When you vote it is being done from with in, based on your opinion?
You don’t think… I don’t know. Maybe they have a different opinion from you?
When you say “join in” I think you mean… when they “vote”. Again. This is a complete double standard because it affects you, and is different from your opinion.
So you would agree that there are many sale threads you downvote… but there are others that are too good of a deal so you upvote them?
Let me explain something. There is a difference between revealing a voting history (IE.. exactly what you voted for and how.) and your voting habits. We monitor data trends. Not individual votes. If we notice a trend, such as downvoting competitors’ for sale threads. We will watch it until it becomes substantial enough to consider it a problem. (Or have enough data to support calling it abuse).
Also. Why the hell would we send you a warning or let you know that we were watching your voting patterns? We watch the votes and use the data to determine LONG TERM if there is a problem. We are not going to contact you after the first few votes and say Just wanted to let you know we’re watching you!.
This may not be the RPF, but regardless of that… your conduct, whether it involved ProtonCharger or not (and whether or not he was banned from the RPF) is considered to be highly damaging to the prop community as a whole. You have blamed ProtonCharger a lot in this thread. How did he step in here and stirred the pot? Because he made a post in this thread? Which was AFTER Kagi and VinC decided to mix things up? It seems to me you are just looking for someone to blame.
And yet. After making your post. VinC posting. The thread being split… etc. You made another post to get around the Karma system. Nice. Your thread was hidden by the community. That’s the thing you’re not grasping here.
Yes. It is a huge conspiracy when 3 users state their opinion against you, and that opinon is negative. Not everyone is going to like you Colin. Not everyone likes me either (though ironically, they still use my site, and my work freely). I don’t call it a conspiracy. I don’t blame a third party for those people. I suck it up and move on. I do my best to make improvements (things like the Karma system) and make changes for th better. Despite giving everyone a vote and a say.. apparently that is unfair and “broken”.
They don’t like you. That’s it. It’s not a surprise. It’s not evidence. People are allowed not to like you.
Always dredging up the past! Colin doesn’t do that… oh wait…
Mmmhmm.
Colin. You’re problem is a matter of opinion. Your opinion is the only thing that matters. You don’t allow anyone to have one that differs from yours. This is true with selling parts, getting feedback on parts, or on how you conduct your business. It has always been true.
The last time I posted serious feedback about you (it was negative) along with a few others, there were several reports that you were actively seeking out names so those of us who posted this honest, serious, but negative feedback could be banned. Some of your parts could do with improvement, and you sell to shady people. That’s honest feedback, take it or leave it.
Since folks are airing out their dirty laundry ill add 2 cents just for ■■■■■ and giggles…I happen to like PC, the guy has helped me out on a couple of things since ive been here…having said that I understand there are people who have a beef with Colin for whatever reasons but I would like to think if he were guilty of anything…IE recasting or some similiar offense AJ and the mods would have laid the ban hammer down already.
Now if folks are intentionally downvoting people for buying MMM gear or downvoting Colin’s threads simply for advertising a sale that to me would seem to be an abuse of the system…on the same foot…if Colin is downvoting other sales threads that are not his own simply because they are selling a similiar product, that to me, would also be an abuse of the system. I doubt the karma system had sales threads in mind when it was designed anyway, So in reality this is all just a huge beef certain folks have with one another that the karma system is being used to cause each other grief. My opinion on that to all of you is knock it the ■■■■ off. We are all adults and as such can handle our grievances in a much more mature manner… take it to PM…or if such is your way…I am sure there are plenty of back alleys and empty field you boys can go battle royale in between your respective home and canada.
There are a lot of ways rules can be interpreted and exploiting a minor loophole is sometimes still a violation of the rules simply becasue it doesnt adhere to the spirit of the rules… in those cases teh mods and the site owner have to make a judgment call and try to be a fair as they can be.
As far as products and parts offered here goes… I have looked at every sales thread of every person currently selling in my quest to build a pack and ALL have their pros and cons. I own one of Colins Ion Arm end caps, pack tubing sets and ribbon cable clamps…and im happy with them…his resin stuff at the time of my purchases, in my opinion had quite a few things abut them that I didnt like…therefore I did not purchase them…If his new aluminum parts look as good as his ion arm end cap and he is able to price them more reasonably…I see no reason why anyone should turn them down. The cons of other folks aluminum came down to price for my first pack build..I simply wasnt paying 65+ dollars for a single part when I could make or purchase resin parts in multiples for the same cost as 1 aluminum part.
Colin…straight up man…if your selling to banned/ blacklisted members any heat you take here at Gbfans is of your own making. The community as a whole will frown on it…and each person will have to decide if they want to continue purchasing from you based solely on that fact. I would have to see some additional evidence before it could sway me from purchasing from you…but if the evidence was damning enough…I could be swayed. At this time though, allegations are all I have seen…to me talk is cheap so I look forward to seeing how your aluminum parts come out and how they are priced. Aluminum is the prefferred material for me for pack parts and a more affordable solution to decking out a pack is something I would love to see you or anyone else here provide to the community.
Sellers have the choice to sell to whoever they want to. Some sellers have a good history with their buyers. Last time I checked, this site only has a list of blacklisted sellers; not buyers. The feedback thread is the place to make sellers aware of some buyers. Now, with all that said, it really should be of no one else’s concern of who a seller wants to do business with (even if they think certain members are so called “shady”)
Aside from that, I for one agree that posts should not disappear because it only leaves potential acts of sabotage against sellers or other posters.
So me selling to blacklisted sellers is frowned upon by the same community that buys from those same blacklisted sellers? …Interesting
I have many good customers that I have done business with for years and never had any problems with them whatsoever but I’m supposed to drop them because GBfans says so? Where is that a written rule? I do business with who I choose. If I see reason to not sell to them, like in the cases of recasters in the past, then I don’t sell to them and make the community aware of it.
responded to your PM Colin…My words are solely an opinion of someone looking in from the outside so to speak…so obviously you can take it however you like. The community will judge for itself how they feel about who you sell to. However I dont think people should be actively going after somones sales thread simply because they dont like who you sell to or buy from on occasion. This whole karma system just doesnt seem viable for a forum that has areas that involve transactions of any form. Is it something that can be disabled for indvidual forum sections? maybe shut it down for the classified section?
personally until someone can produce concrete evidence that MMM has stolen from someone in good standing here…recasted or a similiar offense Ill continue to do business with him where it suits my needs. If proof can be provided that he has done something like this then of course Ill stop…I would be a shitpoor member of the community if I didnt. I think quite a few people would be of this frame of mind… so does anyone have some kind of evidence that something like this has taken place? because now that ist all out in the open im sure a lot of folks around here would like to know.
I don’t think anyone ever accused him of theft or recasting. The issue was with selling to banned members, which he’s in his right to do regardless of how I or anyone else feels about it.
In that case VinC…someone just needs to figure out how to keep his sales threads from being hijacked or hidden due to peoples distaste of him selling to folks of questionable character. His overall karma score may be nil but at least he can continue to do his business and members who are in the know on what quality and ■■■■■■ parts look like can decide for themselves.
People who are abusing the karma system can be dealt with individually in private once that is rectified. problem solved…problem staying solved.
Karma hiding in the For Sale section has been disabled as of yesterday.
There is no “hijacking” of threads going on, however. That is a claim from someone upset about having his post hidden. The only abuse we see is someone deliberately downvoting other seller’s threads because of the competition… but since it is just one person doing it against a broad category of people, it has very little actual effect.
A community of people downvoting or upvoting a particular thread is how the system is supposed to operate. That’s not hijacking.
One person doing it systematically for or against a person or group for an extended amount of time can be shown to be abuse.
One person accusing someone of doing something they think they are doing, without any kind of actual proof is lunacy.
(You may want to read the start of the thread to learn more about what actually transpired and is claimed to have happened).
I got the gist of it AJ…i brought up certain topics in my posts to help me make a point. I consider myself neutral in all this. Other then concerns the karma system is being abused (which you have already rectified) i am good…hopefully with all parties involved…i have gotten help and quality product from both sides of this fence
I personally would like to see just an up voting system like other forums I’m part of. To hell with down voting. I just can’t see what good of having Karma and down voting can bring to a community. Case in point, this thread alone.
“Give more power to the people, they will abuse it.”
In theory, it provides a way for the community to moderate itself by “hiding” the posts people believe to be improper, rude, offensive, distasteful, off topic, or otherwise unnecessary. As opposed to people lambasting moderators for “censoring” people by deleting the same types of posts.
He may right about that. I was the guy who got jumped on. Now, I don’t want to drag it back up from the Depths and I don’t want to point fingers cause that wont change what happened, and I can’t say I’m not to blame for some of it. But let me tell you what roughly happened.
I posted a topic about other sources for parts when Fan shop was out of stock (Which it is this time of the year). The tread started off fine, everything was going smoothly until a certain member hijacked it and pulled stuff from a build thread I started and had abandoned. Tempers flared and everything went to hell.
So what is my point of bringing this up? My first post on the thread, which was a simple question, was hidden for too many negative votes. A simple question that was in no way negative toward anyone and yet it was hidden for being negative.
So I have to say that what irricanian has mentioned is plausible.
Your post doesn’t have to be negative toward someone. It can just be, repetative, obvious, or stupid.
I think most people when faced with that post would say… why not try the For Sale forum? I mean.. it was 1 click away from where you posted in the first place.
How many times Have I posted since Joining? 128. 129 counting this post. I’m not here very often, so how would I know to try the for sale forum? And How do you know I didn’t? I’ve checked the For sale section since then and have not found what I’m looking for.
Repetitive? Well, I had to keep reminding people what the thread was about since my question was hidden
Obvious? For someone who has been a part of this community for a long time of course. As I’ve said I don’t post here often, in fact I took a four Month break from this place for my own reasons. I’ve only recently decided to come back here to pursue my new hobby. Though after what happened, I was beginning to wonder why.
Stupid? I hope you’re not directing that towards me. If you are then you’re just being nasty.