New Community Moderation / Post Karma

One of the most common questions on Ghostbusters Fans is “How can I like this post!?”.

We’re proud to announce that you are now able to Up Vote posts, and Down Vote posts. I feel like this will be a great addition to the community as it will allow the community as a whole unit to moderate the site. Really great posts should receive a great amount of Up votes from users, while off topic, negative posts should receive a large number of down votes.

Once a post reaches a certain number of down votes, it will become hidden… and a moderator will be notified to look over the post. (Note that if you feel a post requires immediate attention, you can still press the Report button to send an immediate report to moderators.)

The users that receive the most upvotes on their posts will also earn “karma” in a similar style to Reddit. At the beginning of each month we will be calculating the Karma totals for the previous month, and those with the most Karma earned in the previous month will earn a free Supporting Membership for the next month.

Many users will find that by being positive, supportive, and providing help will generate a lot of benefits to the site. Those users that many feel are hateful, abusive, and negative will find their posts disappearing due to public opinion. Everyone has the ability to cast their vote on a post, so even the silent majority of GBFans will be able to shape policies and the communities image.

Users that generate a lot of negative Karma will be evaluated and either placed on post approval or removed from the site entirely, if the moderators believe they are a problem.

How to Vote

(You must be viewing Ghostbusters Fans through a internet browser on a desktop or laptop computer.)

image

All you need to do is hit the Up and Down buttons on the bottom right corner of the post. The page will refresh and the vote will be collected. The number and the Karma should both be updated at the same time.

We will be closely monitoring this system to generate many statistics. Just like any other feature on Ghostbusters Fans it is capable of being abused. Do not pick out users that you hate and down vote every one of their posts. If we see this behavior we will consider removing all your votes (positive and negative) and that will affect the good users… additionally you may lose the ability to vote in the future.

If we find that you do not like posts from a particular user, we will recommend placing that user on your Block List, in which all posts from that user will not be shown to you by default.

Give it a try! If you like this idea give this post an up vote and give me some Karma! Once you’ve done that, we encourage you to go out and find your favorite most helpful posts from fellow Ghostbusters Fans members and give them some positive votes and some Karma as well!

What are you waiting for.. Give it a try!

1 Like

THIS IS SO AWESOME.

3 Likes

Very nice!

Cool - this will be really interesting.

This is a great feature. One quick question - when you say it hides the post after so many downvotes, does it hide it completely, or is there an option as a user to click “view this post” or something?

2 things that I’ve noticed so far

  1. You CAN up/down vote your own posts (I tried one as a test).

  2. Your karma cannot go negative, zero is the lowest.

Is that how this is supposed to function or will that change with another update?

This is an awesome feature and I especially like the “similar threads” function ==6

1 Like

There is the option to view the posts that have been hidden.

I will be making it so you can’t vote for your own posts soon.

Karma can’t go negative, but moderators will still be able to see how many negatives a user gets regardless of having a zero.

cool feature, nice implementation (that the correct word?) I also see the “share on, facebook, etc” at the bottom, another nice feature.

Just happy I can’t have negative karma. :cool:

I kid, I kid. This’ll be awesome!

2 Likes

Definitely like this. There’s been many posts I’ve caught myself looking for a “like” on (too much damn FB). And I like the positive reinforcement aspect. Great idea!

Absolutely a great way to keep an eye on the troublemakers without having to babysit every post. and hopefully keep things a little more up and up.

I could see people getting upset at one particular person and searching their posts to neg all of them. Ive seen it on one thread already.

Whoops, I got 6 negatives already.

Ah well, if people don’t like what I have to say, they don’t have to read it then.

Neat idea, AJ. Good to see all these updates on the site!

5 Likes

Very nice update. Great way to recognize the people the people who stay on the positive side of things, not just the negative people.

A suggestion, AJ;

If possible is there a way to limit spamming votes? Woot.com’s community deals has it where if you down-vote something I think 4-5 times in a row, you actually can’t down-vote anymore until you up-vote some stuff to balance it out.

It could deter karma-spammers a bit, and even things out.

That’s a good idea. After I vote on a post, it refreshes the page with the +/- buttons removed from the post I voted on, but if it doesn’t for everybody, I could definitely see a spam issue. +1 idea.

Edit: You meant people who do nothing but down-vote every thing, not just one post, huh? Brain fog on a Sunday. Still a good idea.

I have bad karma

Feel better now:)

Another idea is only letting people vote say 4-5 times a day period, per direction.

Also, I feel that it may be better if it is something that no one can see but the mods of the board. Just saying, it would still serve its purpose here and would not end up being a competition, or a way to get back at people of whom you dont like their opinion. It may keep the system much more honest.

There will definitely be things to improve upon. Since this is a new system we’ll be learning as we go along.

I’d actually like to see Karma be a competition. Why not try and be the best that you can be?

Its not possible to vote twice… but I will be able to see when someone goes on a ‘spamming’ rampage… and will deal with it accordingly.

I have now fixed the issue VinC brought up.. you can’t vote on posts you’ve made.

New feature added guys.

The page no longer refreshes when you vote. When you vote your vote should be recorded automatically and the + / - values will update instantly. The Karma on the profile will not update automatically, but will update the next time you view the topic.

This one is largely untested, so go out and let me know if there are any problems!

Seems to be working just as you said. The only reason I was saying that it should be kept invisible wasnt so that people arent trying to get good points, but so that people arent as prone to vote their buddy just because its their buddy etc, etc. And as I mentioned the anti 1 guy rampage. But as long as you guys can see that stuff then I see it as a great system! Crunch bar to AJ,… :crunch: