SnidderEcto1's Magnum Ecto (yes another one)

Ok this is my magnum.. its not white but its gonna be an ecto!! Have a friend thats gonna make a roof rack for me..

can anyone point me into the directions to either buy the roof rack pieces or

any step by step ways on how to make the parts?

a diagram of the roof rack placement and everything would also be helpful..

and no im gonna go cheap or anything.. id like to have real working lights and everything!!!

also where or who to get the door decals off of also!!

please any useful and helpful info would be much appreciated!!!

thanks everyone

SnidderEcto1

7 Likes

image

3 Likes

Well thats the only thing that will be bit too costly for me..

But any other helpful or useful info would be nice!

Thank you

Sorry dude, but you aren’t going to get much love with a silver car. Do what works for you, but don’t expect a warm welcome. as they say, into the Ecto world.

4 Likes

Hey man. Some people want to build amazing replicas. They want to spend time intricately designing every detail to work in concert, and make sure that every component is part of a conscious effort towards a goal that, in the end, appears as the naturally-formed end result of a complete idea.

And some people really want to drive around in a car with a Ghostbusters logo on the doors.

3 Likes

Especially a world populated by such high quality builds out of that base vehicle.

Seriously if the price of a paint job is holding you back, then I don’t think you realize how expensive a quality build is. Hell, my lightbars retail for $1,000 each.

3 Likes

You could do this:

This is Duncan I’m with ya all the way man! What are the odds it will be ready for March Horrorhound? Have to ask.

2 Likes

I don’t understand why we’re so critical about how things are supposed to be? In the movie, the guys had very little money to get what they need to get the business off the ground. There were no technical schematics or how to manual to make it perfect. They used what they could get their hands on. Purists can be purists, I understand (I know we all have it, even me, but I digress), but the general public usually doesn’t care about the semantics if the Ion Arm is on the proton pack, if Stay Puft is cute and non-menacing, or if the lights are a Code 3 Force 4 XL 48, blue. The point is that the general public like Ghostbusters anything. Can be obscure, can have a different color. Of course we’d all love a '59 Caddy (I would need more than 10K to even have a shell of one, but we all know it costs more to restore it than anything), but it’s not feasible for most of us. I myself have a '72 Caddy and I am attempting to convert it to an Ecto-1, but (Time * Money = My Sanity)squared. Anyone with their own personal Ecto-like vehicle knows this.

Hell, my girlfriend has changed her personal Lincoln Continental that is silver, put on GB emblem stickers that I had for years (about $30) and put it on her car, and just bought 3M striped tape (lucky deal - was $11), and has made it into an awesome Ecto-Auxillary. I plan on doing it on the cheap side as well. Money is tight all around, so no one should be too worried if it’s cheap. As long as it gets the job done and makes people happy, we’re all doing our jobs pleasing the public eye.

I don’t want to start a flaming war, we’re all on the same side in these huge projects, but I’m just defending the ones that don’t have a '59 themselves & want to take some creative liberties on a franchise that shows intuitive, ambitious minds to do their own thing, but recognize a brand that is world renowned. (I think this sentence even competes with Dan Aykroyd’s long winded explanations lol). I know he has expressed how unique and how fans can be inspired by his movies. We have appreciated their product for over 28 years and still it’s growing strong.

Anyone that has their own Ectomobile, no matter what style, color, look, or whatnot, I will be supportive and congratulate them on a job well done. I love seeing our community expanding their horizons & to take creative liberties to make it look like what they want.

Ok, off of my soapbox that I never stand on in here. Lol. Sleep well my fellow Ghostheads.

tl;dr Can’t we all just get along?

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Ghostbusters Fans on Android

5 Likes

Here’s the thing. We’re fine with artistic liberties (like Chace’s lambo doors and DUUUUUUBS) however building a quality Ecto is very, very expensive and very time consuming.

Having a one-off then fine, sure. Cheap route is of course acceptable, however if someone plans on making this their permanent vehicle and is boasting how they’re ‘not going go cheap on it’ then immediately say it won’t be white that’s red flag number one.

Not knowing any of the specifications of the roof rack, or materials, or realizing that there’s a helpful sticky about the door logos is red flag number two.

You want my opinion on this Snidder? Don’t do it. Don’t do it until you’ve researched ALL the proper materials, researched the prices for everything and SAVED ENOUGH MONEY TO GET IT ALL DONE.

There’s a HUGE difference between something like this:

And something like…this:

Just because you can; doesn’t mean you should.

1 Like

Hell look online I saw an Ecto mini Cooper that is hot. Your own opinion is whats important. And the Magnum ones I have seen are sweet.

4 Likes

YES. IF THEY ARE DONE PROPERLY WITH THE PROPER AMOUNT OF MONEY.

4 Likes

Here is a silver Chrysler 300 (similar to the Magnum).

http://www.gbfans.com/fans/props/ectomobiles/5458/1/

The owner seems to be pretty happy with it.

1 Like

my truck is pearl white.. to me that isnt white enough. just sayin

2 Likes

Granted he sounds in a little over his head. However it also sounds like he was saying that he is going to do a quality build with what he is making for the roof, and insuring people their time isnt just wasted in taking the time to direct him were he needs to go. Not that he was saying he has all the money in the world to throw at it and that it will somehow look exactly like the one in the movie when hes done.

Cut him a break guys, im pretty sure the idea is to have some fun…am i right?

Id love to help if i could buddy, unfortunately this is something im over my head on. Just use the hell outta the search bar and see what you can find. Good luck

3 Likes

Thanks for all the comments everyone.. i knew i would get some bad ones cause this is gbfans but i dont care my magnum will look good when its done.. not like that ugly audi.. im going to take my time and do it right.. ive seen the chrysler 300 ecto and it looks awesome! Thanks duncan, mark, and aj, for understanding… i know it will be expensive but it will be worth it!

3 Likes

^ Big ol’ this.

I know it’s exciting to get a long car and say “Imma maek a Echto outtuv it!” You see yourself rolling down the street with you’re shiny Ecto-1, blue lights flashing and siren blaring over the Ghostbusters theme blasting out of your roof rack. All your friends see how cool you are and your enemies brains are exploding out of their skulls because they’re so jealous at the sight of your awesomeness. All the large breasted women in bikinis want to ride in your pimp wagon but you have to limit it to 4 or 5 at a time because you’re not a love machine, dammit! Then, you say to yourself, “yeeeeeah, life be damn sweet since the Ecto.”

I too have considered building an Ecto with a non-white car. However, I decided not to jump in without knowing what I was getting into. After I started researching all the ins and outs of building a quality Ecto, it became apparent that it would be unwise to put so much work and effort into a car that a) wasn’t white and b) didn’t have a design that honored the original (this isn’t the case with the magnum as I think it’s an excellent choice when it’s white).

A big part of that decision (for me) was because the layperson has only briefly encountered (if at all) anything Ghostbusters related. However, they know for a fact that the Ecto-1 is white and has red fins. They may think you’re a rocket man when you’re out wearing your proton pack, but they’ll know you’re a Ghostbuster if you have the car.

It sounds crazy, but it’s true. The guys who have Ectos will tell you that people are quick to point out “inaccuracies” about your Ecto thinking that you don’t know any better. Boomer has posted story after story of people hassling him about not having the right kind of car and both of his Ectos were white. Having a non-white car will only bring more jabs of “why ain’t it white?” and “haven’t you seen the movie?” and “whar Phil Murphy fur Ghostblasters Three?” (ok that last one we all encounter)

Believe me when I say that I’m not trying to put you down. I’m pleading for you to make a sane decision, to consider what you’re getting into and to not make a mistake that you’ll regret later on. Though, if you feel that you can build an Ecto-1 out the car you have and it will honor the original, then I say go for it. But do your homework before you start drilling into your roof and wrapping the whole thing in caution tape.

Just be warned that car enthusiasts are a very particular set of folks. Movie car enthusiasts are regular car enthusiasts who gained EXP from watching movies with cars in them and have leveled up. Both sets are far more particular than the guys that walk around with fiberglass backpacks studded wtih LEDs.

3 Likes

Are you saying you expected bad reactions because this is a forum with a large number of ■■■■■■■■ purists and detail oriented prop builders who have strong opinions about the franchise and prop building in general or “because gbfans is full of ■■■■■■■■”?

3 Likes

Thank you rockman your opinion truely helps… im not going to throw this together as fast as possible either.. gonna take my time and build right.. i know ill have those people that will point our all the flaws..but o well im gonna do it the way i want.. white would be nice but i like the color it is too..

sent from my PKE meter

1 Like

No jack i just know alot of my buddies that have posted stuff like this before get people like that.. every little bolt has to be exact size and color gotta be perfect, blah blah blah… gotta understand im not just gonna duck tape and glue my parts together.. im gonna get as close as i can to the parts and take my time building it but its not gonna be ‘‘perfect’’

sent from my PKE meter