So…Where did the OGB’s get their proton packs from in the 3rd act?

It’s kinda funny or weird that every problem this movie is due to the original movies. But something that really doesn’t make sense is…Ray makes a point to say Egon stole all their equipment when he let for Summerville. We see the packs/wands being used to contain the Gozer portal.

But when they show up…where the hell did they get the packs from? I’ve always been so focused on how dumb it is that they just come out of nowhere that I don’t think I’ve ever questioned this before.

Edit: Seems like I misheard/misremembered the dialogue as pointed out below it’s made clear Egon took ALOT of equipment but not all the packs, just his

I think that Ray says that Egon took his own pack, all of the traps, and the fuel. The others’ packs were probably left behind, and I guess he made new ones for the mine. Still leaves a ton of questions, though :whatever:

Ray said, “One morning, I go to work and Ecto-1, our old Cadillac, is gone, his neutrona thrower, collider pack, all the traps, 16 ounces of fuel isotope, all gone! He cleaned us out. Now we were the dead ones.”

As DancingToaster said, reading between the lines, Ray is saying Egon only took his pack so the implication is he left Ray, Peter, and Winston’s packs behind. So someone had to have kept them. Ray seems the likely candidate. Probably in a backroom of Ray’s Occult collecting dust in cases along with the flightsuits and accoutrements they were seen wearing in Summerville. Egon took nearly everything he could pack into Ecto-1 but left some stuff behind.

Egon’s Journal from Hasbro confirms that he took only his pack.

He left the others behind in case of supernatural activity picking up steam again.

Oooh. See I always thought he reconstituted the other GB packs as the sentry GB guns.

I guess we also don’t know how many packs they have, right? Just cause there are 4 Gb’s doesn’t mean there aren’t more packs,

The implication I believe is he ordered parts through the hardware store (the ‘weird shit’ line the owner has when Callie is there shopping) and I suppose whatever he stuffed into Ecto-1, were used to build the sentry cannons. Since I think aesthetically, the look of cannons don’t look 1:1 like OG pack parts. I think the sum total of what he ordered from the hardware store over the time he lived in Summerville is likely the reason why eventually he could barely keep the lights on as Janine mentioned.

Yeah, we don’t really. But by GB2, of course, there’s 5 at least since Louis strapped one on in the Firehouse while the GBs were at the museum.

[quote=mrmichaelt post_id=4976506 time=1673334083 user_id=24972]But by GB2, of course, there’s 5 at least since Louis strapped one on in the Firehouse while the GBs were at the museum.
[/quote]

Ray and Winston were wearing the Slime Blowers at the museum, only Peter and Egon had their Packs.

They arrived at the museum with 4 packs, failed the breach to shell, and presumably 2 blowers were in Ecto-1a. When they returned with the Statue of Liberty, yes, only Peter and Egon had their packs on while Ray and Winston had switched to the blowers and their packs put into Ecto. I don’t think they went back to the Firehouse between the failed breach and going to Liberty Island to get the Slime Blowers and various AV equipment, i.e. it was always in Ecto-1a.

I still feel like it’s more likely that they went back to the Firehouse so Egon could build the Liberty Controller in his lab. And does the Ecto-1A fit four packs, two slimeblowers, and all the AV equipment as well as all four Ghostbusters ? I know it’s spacious but I’d find it hard to believe it could fit all that at once. Happy to reach out to some Ecto owners on Instagram to get their opinions but it seems really unlikely, especially given how much space is taken up by scientific equipment.

The Firehouse is only a 6 minute drive from the museum, maybe less if they received a police escort. To me it makes more sense that they returned to the Firehouse, grabbed and built what they needed, left two packs behind, then headed to Liberty Island. Then Louis borrowed one of those two packs.

Yeah, I suppose it’s possible that could have been done. Peter and Dana left for dinner at around 8 pm. So a few hours. Then I recall when they were marching, Egon noted they didn’t have a lot of time left. Yeah, it’s plausible they stopped back at the Firehouse. Maybe even got the Mayor to throw in a van to help transport some of the equipment. Then I guess some police were left stationed with Ecto-1a at Battery Park until it was retrieved after everything was said and done.

I think the trailers/photos hinted at some enormous bit of exposition that would’ve explained how the originals got there, via Janine etc.

Maybe they filmed it and just thought it was a bit crap. :smiley:

It’s interesting you mention Egon building the Liberty controller. Do we know that’s who built it?

I was going to make a post the other day on how it seemed to become the de facto belief that Egon invents or builds everything. We know Ray is just as much a gear head and genius as Egon but for some reason Egon seems to get the more “respect” or credit from fans. Maybe the cartoon brought that about?

I always assume Ray and Egon build everything together.

I’m glad someone said something about Ray’s intelligence when it comes to building equipment. In my opinion, I think it was a complete team effort between him and Egon. One of my biggest in a long list of gripes for Afterlife, is that it makes it seem that Egon made up everything on his own.

They either kept their own stuff, because Egon only took his pack.

OR - Winston financed stuff for Ray to build/fix things on the fly before heading to Summerville.

All of the cut OGB stuff with Janine would probably explain this better, but the film needed to focus more on the new members. I still think we need the Janine cut of Afterlife.

Ray literally says: “His neutrona thrower, collider pack, all the traps, 16 ounces of fuel isotope,..”

Egon just took his pack.

This means all the other packs were still there, either Ray, Peter and Winston took theirs home or they were stored at Ray’s someplace."

Why would anyone think Ray just went and built 3 proton packs out of nothing between Phoebe’s phonecall from jail and them showing up on the dirt field.

[quote=RichardLess post_id=4976537 time=1673363392 user_id=47215]It’s interesting you mention Egon building the Liberty controller. Do we know that’s who built it?

I was going to make a post the other day on how it seemed to become the de facto belief that Egon invents or builds everything. We know Ray is just as much a gear head and genius as Egon but for some reason Egon seems to get the more “respect” or credit from fans. Maybe the cartoon brought that about?

I always assume Ray and Egon build everything together.

[/quote]

That’s a very valid point, for me it’s just that I don’t recall seeing any shot in either film that shows Ray actually building something. We see Egon working on a thrower during the “last of the petty cash” dinner scene (I assume this ended up being Winston’s thrower), and in the deleted scene we see Egon working on the workbench trap. We see Egon working on the Slime Blower in GB2 while Ray is experimenting with the mood slime.

So for me I always just assume that Egon did the design and prototyping of the equipment but Ray helped him build them, that’s just based on what we saw on-screen. I don’t doubt that Ray is capable of it, I still see Ray and Egon as a team.

Either one could have built the Liberty Controller, and given that they’d already been experimenting with the mood slime earlier in the film it’s possible they had some of it already built.

Honestly, my favourite scenes in both films as a kid were Egon and Ray together. I got annoyed when they cut away from those two doing something cool at the Firehouse (hanging out in the basement or the lab) so they could show what Peter was up to. Never wanted to be Venkman, I wanted to be Spengler.

I looked it as Egon was the head chef and Ray was the sous-chef. They’re both skilled and functional in engineering. Ray knew enough to help build and complete the equipment but Egon was always crucial to the original designs and prototype construction. And likely Ray pitched a couple ideas but Egon was the one that made it reality.

Which scene is this?

In the preview cut on the Ultimate Edition set that came out. During the first montage after Slimer.

Yep, that’s the one. Although he seems to be working on a thrower, not a trap.

I must be getting confused with the “workbench trap” seen elsewhere in the film.