tape holder....

all i can find are plain leather tape holders. are there really black ones out there, or do most of you guys paint them? if so, how does the paint take to the leather? should i primer first?

Whats the tape holder for?

The tape measure holder is to hold the belt circuit board. :boogieman: Everyone generally uses black shoe leather dye, I believe. Works great. A few coats is generally needed to make it good and black. Mine still holds up well now.

-Zack

Black ones are available, although I’ve found through eBay UK that black leather ones appear to be rarer. There are plenty of black ones which aren’t leather but they’d obviously be poorer for fans seeking authenticity.

I bought one from Ebay last wk just waiting for delivery now, mine is like a tan brown colour because couldnt find a black one at all so i think i will use a few coats of black shoe dye to get it just right

I got a dark brown one that looked like it was black.

I did see a bunch of tan ones at my local tool store. It made me wonder if I could purcahse a ton of them, and then dye them all and modify them to look like the GB ones and sell them here. :whatever:

Please do it, AJ!

AJ, i think if you put anything related up in the shop we’ll buy it, just for the convinience factor…did i spell that word right? :blush:

That would be awesome A.J. Please consider it after your exams end!

exams, now??? my brain hurts reading that word and thinking about mine in december! btw, i’m getting some shoe polish tomorrow. i’ll post some pics with the circuit board thing soon.

This is one of the things I first made. So it was a bit of fun and easy thing. There was an easy belt tutorial that was very helpful. It was on the old gbprops.com. It’s really not hard and is fun to make but for people pressed for time. I think I did mine over a couple days… :cool:

Matter of fact, here it is still on Ghostbusters.net!!! :boogieman:

http://archive.ghostbusters.net/plandetail/79/

Thanks Zack, I was wondering where those plans went. :cool:

Sweet, thanks Zack!

No prob. Glad to see it was still around somewhere. It’d be cool if the guy was still around or AJ or someone posted it in the tutorials forum. It was VERY helpful to me…

I got my tan colour tape measure holder today looks cool just waiting for the web belt now so i can attach it…but firstly yeah obviously i need to turn it black, could anyone post picces of there holders for those who dyed them with shoe dye??

Thanks Zack, i just uploaded that circuit/pouch plan as i just got my holder just have to find a circuit from someplace (anyone got a spare calculator) haha

What pouch did you buy and where from, you got a web address? Just wondering if I can get it online as I’m in the UK…

Looking at the movie, they are probably not jet black (certainly the ones in GB2 were, but there are also much cheaper made - as are all the props in that movie..). They look for like a old “oil tan” leather that has darkened.

Anyhow, even if they aren’t an oil-tan color would make it easier to dye, just one coat should do it. I’ll let you know when I get to that stage in my uniform (need a circuit first).

Also - if you want to be movie accurate about it (which I do) get one with a snap on the front of the pouch, not the side-over straps. It’s a small detail, but it’s all in the details.

That being said - I can’t find one of those in oil-tan, only tan… the one I’m going to use and modify is this one:

a Chalimex Tan Leather Holster

Links in this post may be affiliate links. Purchases made through them help support this site at no additional cost to you.

What about this one:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=120986-1492-1L-464-1&lpage=none

You’d want to avoid that one since it has the stamp in the leather, and no button. While you could add your own button, it’d be difficult to cover up that stamp in the leather. The one I got has a stamp, but it’s up on top of it so the belt can cover it up.

JC