http://www.thinkgeek.com/geektoys/collectibles/c066/
Oh SNAP! ![]()
I got one for my b’day and they’re actually pale green instead of yellow and the lettering is a darker green ![]()
The pictures show it being a yellow and dark blue
Maybe you should inquire about it
I’ve asked a few mates who’ve got them and there’s are the same. Very disappointing to say the least.
But it’s nice they acknowledged us:
Ghostbusters Ecto-1 License Plate Replica
•Looks just like the plate of the Ecto-1.
•Full size license plate replica.
•Not street legal (unless you are an authorized Ghostbusters franchise).
•Dimensions: approx 12" x 6" (license plate size).
Wow, $30 and they aren’t even stamped. Lame.
I’ll just hang onto mine.

MOD NOTE: This plate pictured is NOT the one being sold at ThinkGeek. It is a fan made replica.
They are stamped mate.
Barely, for as obvious as it is they might as well not have bothered.
I never thought I’d say this, but the Ecto-1 Licence Plate Diamond is offering, is complete ■■■■. The fonts are off, the colour is wrong, the mounting points are the wrong shape (probably due to them bulk buying a standard plate plate), and the stamped elements barely stand out.
Given how their “OUTATIME” plate seemed to be pretty close to being on-model, this one is extremely disappointing. It’s almost like they used the fan-made one (which Boomer posted) as a quick reference, and assembled it in a lunch hour - I can’t forsee any other reason why they managed to miss the fact the real ones are orange.
For $30, I’d expect a hell of a lot better than that.
Even though it’s the wrong colour, I strongly recommend people buy the fan-made one over the “officially licenced replica”.
Is there a pic resource of what the best fan made one looks like?
The real ones are orange?Really…I always thought they were yellow.
so…no body has orange and blue spray paint?
Why spend $35 and then have to paint it?
The fan made plate is under $20.
Plus it’s embossed and made of metal. The licensed one is flat. So you have to mask it AND paint it. Pretty expensive for a scratch build.
EDIT:
Oops… Anyway, my point stay valid.
You’d be right. It not the standard deep orange plate color that was around back then nor is it a bright banana yellow color in that picture. But yellow would be a closer color.

The restoration shows it better

For once I may have to agree with spooky. They’re more orange. Congrats to those who found stamped plates. Much cooler.
Ten posts up, Kevin’s shot of the plate on his Ecto.
The plates on the restored Ecto-1 are from the fan made run.
This is the one I’m familiar with:

Compared to the screen cap, I think the font on the film-used one is a little thicker. This one also only has two holes on the bottom, none on the top.
You have to drill your own top holes.
I haven’t found that exact fount anywhere.. has anyone else? I wanted to do a quick computer printed one, and I can find similar fonts, but nothing exactly right.
When I was making the graphics for TheEcto1.com’s front page, I used a digital font based on the Italian licence plates… I think this page has a variation of it:
However, I had to modify the “1” and the “O” to include the base on the numeral, and the more bevelled, less circular sides for the letter. I believe I also had to perform some slight modification to the E, but nothing major.
Looking at some real 1980s licence plates, the “1” as seen on the screen-used plate appears to be custom, as the real examples don’t seem to feature the wide base (maybe it was added to help with visibility?). The rest of the character alphabet looks on-model.
Best way to completely replicate it, is either get a bunch of plates together featuring the required letters, or better yet finding a digital copy of the alphabet letter set they used.
Edit:
Here’s a good one to start working with, David Hansen’s Licence Plate