Tru-Spec KHAKI suit to a GB2 BLUE suit

Well, there’s an old addage: Do the best with what you have.

Early on, I had purchased a Tru-Spec kahki uniform, new, but even as an XL it was a tad bit tight, atleast tighter than the Nomex is. So I bought a Nomex, dyed it to GB1 color (a shade I felt looked great), and through the Tru-Spec to the back of the closet.

Well, I got a wild hair up my ass to make a GB2 blue/black suit, and decided I’d test myself and dye the kahki Tru-Spec. Now, I used AZSpidey’s tutorial on how to dye a black TS to GB2, but for a khaki to blue, I didn’t find a post where it had been done. So I followed most of his recipe, removed the color with twice the color remover, and added twice the Nevy Blue and Black RIT bottled dyes than they recommended. After three dying cycles, I finally got a color I’m happy with.

Viola:

image

It’s not perfect, and I’ll probably get a Nomex and repeat the GB2 suit, but I like it. It’s a nice change!

My girlfriend took the picture, so the lighting (really) sucks (ass), but I’ll take some good ones tomorrow in the natural light. No comments about how dirty the underside of my couch is lol. But I’ll take comments on the suit.

looks good man!

The color looks great! Weird that you thought it was too tight though. From here it looks too baggy! To each his own though. Some like their’s looser.

Kev said the same thing. It’s just tighter in some area than in others, but yeah it is still baggy for the most part.

Thanks for the compliments!

looks great Krenzy! colour looks spot on.

man, this is giving me the urge to make a GB2 suit to go with my GB2 pack. hmmmm :slight_smile:

Very well done Kyle, I would have never thought you could get from khaki to this. I like the way the stitching stands out in the picture too.

wait . . . . . . . . .THE F*%K?

Your suit has lap pockets and that little strap on the inner left thigh, that can’t be a Tru-Spec. Also there’s no storm flap, a characteristic of Rothco, but at the same time it has brass zippers which rule out the possibility of a Rothco suit, so what is it?

Oh and Nick, if you didnt do a gray suit, I’d call you crazy expecially now that you have a complete GB2 pack. :cool:

One thing I also noticed about Tru-Spec is that soaking the khaki in color remover does not do anything. I say this since the above instructions mention color remover. I put a prewashed suit in a small washer load of hot water and added two boxes of color remover and let it soak for a few hours. I restarted the washer, washed and dried the suit and compared it to a suit I still had in the plastic wrap. It did not change color at all. I will say though that I have gotten a khaki Tru-Spec to a very deep gray but as mentioned the stitching will stand out. So, if anyone does decide to dye a Tru-Spec suit, remember that the color remover will only help in the removal of any dye added after the suit was manufactured.

Thanks for the compliment! And as far as I was told, the guy who sold it to me said it was Tru-Spec. Now it’s a 65% ployester/35% cotton mix, which is what Tru-Spec’s are, and the color before hand was DEFINATELY not a Rothco color. Perhaps Tru-Spec changed their suits a bit? This would verify Whitey’s claim that his suit is, in fact, Tru-Spec, and not a Rothco.

Anyone have any info on whether the suits changed?

Ok so here’s an update with lots of pictures!

First, here are two before pictures, the one I just dyed on the right in both, next to my dyed Nomex.

image

image

And here are some nicer photos with better lighting.

image

image

image

image

image

image

Hope you like it!

I’m just wondering if anyone can shed some light onto the flightsuit. If it’s not a TruSpec or Rothco, what is it?

Looks just like my tru-spec from what I can see.

Hmm…my Tru-Spec certainly does not have any of the additional pockets below the waist. Curiouser and curiouser, said Alice…

I think there are different styles of tru-spec out there

Here is where I bought mine which has the thigh pockets

https://secure.armysurplusforless.com/productView.php?id=75

Here is another one without the same pockets on the legs

http://www.chiefsupply.com/Apparel%2CUniforms/Jumpsuits/27P26

Great comparsion! Does yours have a storm flap?

It does not actually

Hmmm same here. I’m convinced it’s definately a Tru-Spec then. Thanks for helping out Kev!