Hello to all. I am currently trying to source some aluminum sheet to cut a motherboard for my pack. I have found an 18x36 piece online for $40.00 shipped. My only concern is that it is 5052 H32, rather than the more common and well known 6061. From what I gather online, 5052 is ok, but may present problems with brittleness when trying to tap it. I currently can’t think of anything I’d be attaching to the mobo via threaded screws, but I’d like some input regardless.
Thanks in advance!
-Casey
No need for tapped holes on the motherboard, as long as it’s 1/8" thick material you will be fine. All holes are thru holes for either bolt thru or rivets. $40 shipped seems like a good price
Thanks, Colin. I’m also going to try one last metal shop here in Houston before I order online. I really expected it to be easier to find scrap aluminum but it’s been a pain.
Oh, and I also just got done painting up a set of your grips. Waiting on the base brown to dry now! Can’t wait!
1 Like
I’ve also seen guys use old street signs, those seem to work pretty good. If you know someone with a drill press or mill, the holes shouldn’t be a problem.
Hmm…a street sign…paid for by the county. That’s much cheaper than $40.00. Not a bad idea!
For what it’s worth, most street/interstate/safety signs are closer to 1/16th of an inch (specifically .063" for most, some are .080") as opposed to the standard 1/8th inch (.125") that most motherboards are made of. That doesn’t mean it can’t work or that Texas doesn’t have some thicker signs but it’s something to take note of.
Source: I collect signs and occasionally purchase new replicas from here where you can see stats and such.
http://www.trafficmanagement.com/store/signs/chart-detail/355/
I found one more shop here locally that may be able to supply me with some aluminum, if not I’m going to pick up that piece from eGay for 40 bucks.
As for the street signs, in Texas ours are between 1/4" and 8 feet thick.
When we say everything is bigger we mean it.
1 Like