Sunday saw the broadcast of the two-hour special Ghostbusters: Behind Closed Doors on the Reelz channel, and in addition to new and historic interview content and behind the scenes photographs, an unseen deleted scene from Ghostbusters II appeared as part of the B-roll content (sequences often filmed with a secondary camera behind the primary one).
Paul Rudoff has uploaded a copy of the deleted scene to Spook Central for you to watch and enjoy.
While it is unfortunate that some of the scene’s audio was obscurred through Reelz’ editing process, it still offers a unique piece of content from Ghostbusters II in the film’s 30th anniversary year.
RE the new deleted scene. The excerpt from the Naha novel appears to originate from the 11-27-88 draft on page 53. So it seems at one point, they kept Peter’s line about the boutique but jettisoned the gaudy costumes and dded Winston and Ray working on a Slime Blower except now it seems post-montage since Winston is in the charcoal suit and Ray is in the lab coat. It’s not in the Feb. 27 1989 draft. It could be a case it being in another draft in between or one after February 27 - and they weren’t sure so they took it out, put back in, took it out, filmed it since we know there’s a bunch of drafts from December up to February 8.
My hat is off to Paul for sharing this. It is stunning to me that after 30 years new deleted scenes from Ghostbusters II are finally seeing the light of day.
More of Winston, now that’s what both of these movies needed. This is awesome! Dig into the vault and find more of this hidden treasure. I’m stuck in Alaska doing a seasonal jobby and this brightened my day up a bit.
It seems this same footage also aired in the UK back in 1989. By chance a channel I follow on youtube uploaded a clip from a show that used to air here on the BBC called Film(with whatever the year was at the end). In this case Film '89:
You can see the same scene at 0:55 am and it seems the audio is not blocked this time.
I’m not sure if the clip of Ray shouting at mood slime is new too, its different dialog to what is in the film obviously but I didn’t see the Behind Closed Doors documentary, so I’m unsure if it aired in that too.
Wow! I hovered over Film 89 like a hawk at the time and yet still managed to completely miss this report! Good old BarryNorman Activity and his “none of this impresses me” schtick! And why not?
I could kiss you! I love it when a GB2 behind the scenes clip comes around that I’ve never seen. That’s being said…
Holy crap, Danny Boy, dial it back a bit. Thank god they reigned in his performance for that scene. What was he doing with his voice? It seemed like a rehearsal since none of the slime bubbled. But yikes…
Ha same here actually. I would pester my mum to stay up and watch this show every week in to see if they were talking about GB2 and i somehow missed this at the time.
Excellent find. Gotta love that opening shot of Ecto-1 parked in front of LA23, which must’ve been another setup scene from near the start of the film which ultimately fell on the cutting/scripting room floor.
And… “Slimerzooka”. Hmm.
It’s interesting to hear its alternate name, but “Slime Blower” just seems to fit the prop better.
Is this scene in the script? Also, you’re right. Slimerzooka is “hmm”. Slime Blower is a million times better. Perhaps that was improv from Dan? Cause I remember Slime Blower being used in the script.
What’s also interesting is to hear the “boutique item”(I think that’s what Venkman says, little hard to hear) which is similar to what he says about the mood slimed toaster.
I just had a thought about Dan’s voice in the Mood Slime test. Do you think they were trying to do something with the Vigo possession here? Maybe foreshadow it a bit? But since they ended up cutting the car crash scene maybe they changed it up? Cause his voice just sounds so wrong and over the top. Maybe whenever Ray exhibits any type of negative emotion the Vigo thing comes into play a bit? Perhaps they were trying that out here. Cause his voice just…wow. Not right.
Nope. Well, in none of the drafts we know of. Instead, Winston and Peter enter scene tired from going out on a job. Later on in the 11/27/88 script, on page 86, Ray introduces the Slime Blower, “We have a prototype for a pressure-forced, neutronically metered, fully portable delivery system. Basically, it’s a “slime-blower.”” Then there’s a descriptor after his line ‘He holds up a bazooka-like tube attached to a set of compressed air tanks.’ So it sounds like this was a a scene they filmed a few times and tried different lines, hence the Slimerzooka being from an alt version of this deleted scene.
I don’t think so, the Museum visit where Vigo does his thing to Ray happens way after the demo.
I would be not be surprised if Peter Mosen got to bring his Ecto 1 replica to firehouse #23, in the issue of The Real Ghostbusters magazine where he was interviewed( the issue number escapes me at the moment) their is a picture of him with Bill Murray and Dan Aykroyd in front of it. Getting back to the topic at hand, I watched the deleted scene posted on You Tube as part of the episode of Film 89 and it was nice to hear the spoken lines more clearly. I wonder if there is another version of this scene where Dan Aykroyd actually says Slime Blower instead of Slime Zooka.