[UPDATED] My son's First Ghostbuster Costume with build info

Well I’ve been deployed and away from my son for over 7 months and I’m only half way through my deployment until I come home for good. Luckily I was able to take 15 days of R&R leave to come home for my son’s 3rd birthday so I wanted to make it very special.

Here are some photos and a video of my 3 year old son’s Ghostbuster Costume.

image

image

image

image

image

image

Here’s the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHzFApQumHg&list=UUplQUJpjo5sjUtzgFNrSc4g&index=5&feature=plcp

GOOD JOB POPPA! :smiley:

Great job, he looks really happy!

Sent from my MT-500 using Tapatalk

My gosh your sons lucky! What a great birthday!

Sent from my SGH-T759 using Ghostbusters Fans on Android

that is sooo cute!!!

That is one happy kiddo! I’d be interested in hearing some details about building your son’s pack.

Hahaha! this is pretty damn adorable!

that looks like it was an awesome party.

Also thank you for serving!

Sent from my DROIDX using Ghostbusters Fans on Android

Nice! That’s probably the best kid-sized pack I’ve seen yet. More details!

that is amazing!

That is so dam cute!

my holy gozer god! where did you find the stuff that small for him? the outfit, the belt? hes a perfect likeness of you. You should be proud, the rest of us are.

Thank you all for the kind words and support! As requested here is the build.

Flight Suit:

Of course I originally wanted a khaki flight suit. Rothco used to make a child size flight suit in khaki but they don’t make it anymore. I even tried emailing them to request a special order and they declined. So I had to settle on the most accurate flight suit I could find and it was this one.

http://www.fatiguesarmynavy.com/store/item/KS1305/Kids_Olive_Drab_Flight_Suit___Kids_Camo

I tried to dye it because it said it was 65% cotton but after 3 undiluted bleach bath cycles (1entire gallon of bleach) and 1 cycle of rit color remover. After all that the flight suit looked exactly the same color as when it shipped. I decided I’d leave it olive drab.

Patches:

Patches are by Kitarra8 from eBay. No Ghost logo:

Name patch

Pistol Belt:

I couldn’t find a child sized khaki pistol belt so I had to go with olive drab again. I died it in all the same bleach and rit dye remover baths as the flight suit and it came out in a color that goes well with the olive flight suit.

Walkie Talkie:

I spray painted Lego Walkie Talkies because they had a decent look and they already had a good belt hook already.

http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Blue-LG13000-Walkie-Talkies/dp/B002L6I9ZY?tag=gbfans-discourse-20

Key Fobs:

These key fobs fit the child sized pistol belt perfectly! For my exact set up with the leg hose I would recommend purchasing 3 of these key fobs. I’ll explain in the leg hose portion.

Leg Hose:

I just went to Home Depot and grabbed a few things that looked to scale with what I wanted. I bought the connector piece, the hose, a dowel rod that fit perfectly into the hose, and masking tape. I drilled holes around the outer edge of the connector and sewed it into place like this.

Then I put the dowel rod about an inch into one end of the hose and cut it off. Then I wrapped masking tape around the hose until it was a perfect fit into the connector like this:

Next I drilled a hole all the way through the open end of the hose and attached the 3rd key fob:

Gloves:

I just used normal dish gloves in size medium, painted them, clear coated them, and cut them to size. They’re only slightly big but my son can still move each finger individually and they look pretty good. However, the paint is still tacky.

Boots:

Boots were very hard to find. However I finally found some eBay girl boots that work perfectly.

Boot Blousing Straps:

Normal Adult sized blousing straps fit perfectly.

Ecto Goggles:

I used a pair of goggles from a toy drill set from Toys R Us similar to this one and spray painted it olive drab.

Then I bought a waterbed fill/drain kit and used a few of the pieces for the lenses and spray painted them.

I glued them together and drilled eye holes into the goggles and here is the result:

Links in this post may be affiliate links. Purchases made through them help support this site at no additional cost to you.

Trap:

I had one of my buddies JasonCash (founder of the First Coast Ghostbusters) to paint a Kenner Trap to look more accurate.

Proton Pack:

The first pack I had for my son was a modded Kenner Proton Pack. This pack was modded by the same guy who painted the trap for me JasonCash. He did an amazing job and included working lights. This pack is my son’s “play” pack. My son get’s a TON of use out of this pack.

As you can see by the hole in the top of the wand. My son has already broken this pack a few times from many hours of catching Ghosts. The hole is where the toggle switch for the pack lights go. My son has pushed it through into the wand. It’s an easy fix I just didn’t do it before I took the photos.

Movie Pack with lights and sound:

Unfortunately I don’t have any information for the build of this pack. I found it on eBay for a fair price. This pack is AMAZING! Not only does it have lights and sound but the speakers are extremely loud and the pack is only 5lbs!! So it’s perfect for my 3 year old!! The builder has to be a Ghosthead and I’m sure they’ve got to be on these forums. If you’re the builder and see this thread, please feel free to comment on the build of the pack. I have seen several other child size packs on eBay lately but none of them look near as good as this one so I don’t think those are built by the same person. The only modification I’ve made to this pack is the LC1 straps. Everything else came from the builder.

Finally more costume shots.

Great job!

This is amazing! What a great find, but better yet, excellent work on the flight suit. If I only had one of those as a kid…

Thanks for all the kind words everybody!

Those pictures are amazing! And such a cute kid! Seeing that brings a tear to my throat and a lump in my eye :wink: No, but seriously! Fantastic! Hahaa! :cool:

Thats some creative thinking on using water bed parts, would have never thought of it. You sir are one cool dad. Just look at your baby boys face, hes so happy and cute. In the GB fandom we get them young. lol

Great work man. :crunch: :crunch:

Wow! I’ve been meaning to do this for a while. Looks great!