I seriously hope they don’t O.D. on the CGI effects (a-hem! Star Wars episodes 1-3) It’s the organic elements [story, relationship between the characters, etc.] that really make Ghostbusters operate in the real world & seem tangible.
One of my greatest fears is that they choose a cast based soley on what they think the current teen/early adult market would love rather than on the quality of the actor and their comedy. One of the things I’ve greatly disliked about the rumors surrounding the Apatow crew is I’ve never been convinced they were anything but the flavour of the month.
I also hope they don’t go overboard on the CGI but I accept that in this day and age there will almost certainly be a large degree of it that would appear in a post-millennium Ghostbusters movie.
one of my fears is that somebody in the cast will die before the movie will come out!
Seriously…Harold is 65…a man of his age and weight could easily have a heart attack… I hope this will not happen not only for GB3 sake but because i really LOVE these guys!
i quote what Kingping said: no Apatow crew, i can pass over today’s SFX.
And please…i want to see the OGBs with jumpsuit and proton pack one last time!
I swear your first statement was like #2 on my list! You said it, man. I hate it when studios insult their audience. At one point I think they were talking about using Ashton Kutcher, Will Smith, Seth Rogan, & Ben Stiller as a part of the new GB recruits. Nothing against them personally, but there’s so much more depth to the GB universe than your stereotypical, big named “funny men.” There are dimensions to each of the original GBs & a lot of their comedy comes from their chemistry. It’s not a superficial sideshow of prat falls, dated topical humor, etc. The same goes for the story & its writers [Apatow]. If the studios want a good idea of what the fans want, all they have to do is cut on a computer and read messageboards, chats, & forums like this.
In reference to the CGI, I’ve kinda accepted that it’s 2009 & movies are largely defined by their special effects, but I’m still hoping they only use the effects when it’s absolutely necessary.
im just worried that they will make the new one more like they did the new TMNT movie. it was a good movie but nothing like the original 3 turtles movies. I want to see like adam sandler’s crew do the cast. they crack me up. put him and all his buddies including james from king of queens.
I know there’s a lot of hate towards the Apatow crew, and that’s fine, but I get the feeling it’s mostly geared toward Apatow having any input and Rogen getting in a jumpsuit.
However, if you had to consider him part of the Apatow family, I’d still love to see Bill Hader on board, I just think he’s fantastic. I might even go as far as not saying Paul Rudd would be cool to see in the movie, but probably more as a supportive character like Tully, rather than a GB himself. Anyway, as far as Apatow related individuals go, just those two as far as I’m concerned.
Honestly my worst fear…
No matter how good the script is, no matter how good the cast it, no matter how awesome the SFX and props look…my worst fear is reading the immense amount of ■■■■■■■ and moaning that will be posted about how it will ruin Ghostbusters.
The whole inter-dimensional traveling thing scares the Bejesus outta me, to be honest. Ghostbusters used to be as grounded as possible in reality, but slipping from dimension to dimension just feels like it would undo all the previous movies worked towards. My opinion, anyways. Also, I share your views with being worried about a cast of big names-no talents.
As for the Apatow crew, my dad remembers when the Murray/Ramis crew were working together and he’d gotten annoyed with their brand of humor. His own personal taste, but it worked very well in our favor. Perhaps the Apatow crew just hasn’t gotten a decent script lol? I happen to like their movies, and I wholeheartedly believe that Paul Rudd and Jason Segel have great chemistry; whether they should be together for a GB movie, well that remains to be seen.
To be honest, I like Paul Rudd. If you put him and James Mardsen from SexDrive together, you’ll have the beginning of a great little cew.
My worst fear is that the movie doesn’t turn out as good everybody hoped and leaves a bad taste for all of us that was expecting something great
My worst fear is that this movie gets made… Sequels as of late aren’t exactly boding well for the original movies.
The Dark Knight? Not all sequels are bad…more just get ■■■■■■ direction.
Amen to that!
My worst fear is that this movie gets made… Sequels as of late aren’t exactly boding well for the original movies.
This is one way of thinking that i’ve never understood. A sequel changes nothing about the original. It’s still there. Just like remakes. If the remake sucks(which is most often the case), the original is still there in all it’s glory…
Look at it like this: Smokey and the Bandit was, and still is, a classic. Amazing, pure and simple. The second? A step down, but still very watchable, and a good compliment to the first movie. The third? I’m pretty sure Jerry Reed died after finally sitting down to watch that peice of ■■■■. Like I said, it’s all about direction.
I second the possibility of someon of the original cast. Dying, not only would it be devestating to fans…I dred the day, but almost expected everytime they do a GB film, even the first one, someone dies. First Belushi, then well…I guess no one died for the second actually, but then there was Farley.
I actually had a dream that the movie got the green light and just after that Murray died. I woke up sweating and about to cry.
He was gonna be a ghost in earlier drafts anyway…
The whole inter-dimensional traveling thing scares the Bejesus outta me, to be honest. Ghostbusters used to be as grounded as possible in reality, but slipping from dimension to dimension just feels like it would undo all the previous movies worked towards.
I agree. The inter-dimensional traveling should be reserved to the animated shows & video games. What works about the films is that they’re so grounded in reality. You have these somewhat ordinary people operating in an extraordinary environment. It’s that balance of normal vs. abnormal that makes the whole GB world seem tangible. If you tip the scale too far in one direction [as Krenzy stated] you could destroy the integrity of the previous films.
My worst fear is that they try to hard to be politically correct they muck it all up and stray from the fun of the original franchise.
seen too much of that with the old bring backs.
I find myself a bit excited at the possibility of dimension hopping, company expansion, and the integration of more of Dan’s original ideas from his first draft. I vote that we at least wait til we play the game to pass judgement on some of these elements of the story, as it looks like they will be present to a smaller degree based on the E3 trailer and what we’ve heard so far.
My fear isn’t so much the final product or who is in the film or how it’s made ( though I’d be a ■■■■ to not wonder at how it may turn out), but the reaction and word of mouth from a young movie going culture that is finding it more and more the “cool thing to do” to bag on a movie based on how much it caters to fans (aka nerds in their eyes) and generally be annoying jerks about anything that others may find entertaining and cool. These will be the people who think GB3 will be lame if the original 4 suit up and bust at all, seeing as they’d be “too old”. These would be the people that were born after RGB ended and have never seen the original films or didn’t care the one time they did. They’re the people who wait for silence and an awkward moment to make a joke the whole audience would hear. They can ruin a movie experience. I saw Incredible Hulk, an AMAZING film, and had to put up with guys making stupid jokes behind me the entire time.
I guess what I’m saying is that I hope that the stars sort of line up for a perfect experience. When I saw Dark Knight, it was the perfect amount of anticipation on my part, being surrounded by people who were just as excited, and great execution on the film’s part. People clapped and cheered when we found out gordon wasn’t dead, gasped when the dead batman hit the mayor’s window, and the audience roared as gordon said the final lines and batman rode into the light.
Now, I’ve seen some great films since then (Star Trek, T4, Watchmen, etc.), but none of them had that same mood going in like Dark Knight. I hope GB 3 is another perfect night again. My biggest fear is that despite whatever quality the movie has, it won’t be a perfect experience. Heck, I could give the movie a B+ overall solely based on the film, but the experience can change the night from “hey that was a great movie”, to “I can die happy now”.