Your first encounter with the "Ghostbusters" world...

Just wondering what was everyone’s first encounter with “Ghostbusters”? Mine was seeing the promo for the second movie coming out in cinena’s then seeing the first one that same week on TV. I’d already been watching “The Real Ghostbusters” (shown on CITV here in the UK) and loved it. Was disappointed when Egon didn’t have his blonde hair in the movie lol. :sigh:

I also remember playing “The Real Ghostbusters” board game at home with my best mate that night while the film was on, then recruiting our other mates the next to have a Ghostbuster team. We even borrowed my Dad’s mate’s video camera and made our own proton packs from cardboard boxes and parts off an old vacuum cleaner to make a film. It was sadly lost over time but I found some pics the other day which brought back some happy memories.

I think I saw the cartoon first then the movies.

VHS tv recording of Ghostbusters, which as soon as Slimer comes zooming towards the camera at the end would have that VHS scramble and then the start of Bon Voyage Charlie Brown.

It aired here in the UK the same day as Short Circuit. Another great movie of the decade. :stuck_out_tongue:

I remember the yell ‘SLIMER’ on the theatre beign my first encounter. It was the Ghostbusters 2 (the more astute audience, years younger than me, recognized Slimer on the film…), few years after it was initially released on the US (back then, films took about two years to get around the globe..). I have no other recollections about the movie. And I remember disliking the RGB roleplay games being played around.. Maybe because, lacking better places to play, the guys played in the halls and starcases on apartment buildings. Of Hell’s Inc. Ghostbusters, Finland, our senior member, Veka remembers seing the Ghostbusters 1 in theatres, though, and he claimed that when he saw the film, he would never have believed that in one day, he would have a proton pack on his wall, uniform with all the goodies in his closet…

I had Ghostbusters 2 recorded off of HBO on a tape.

I had seen Ghostbusters once before, so I always had a recollection of Ghostbusters in my mind. But I wore out that VHS tape watching GB2 over and over. There was one part that would skip and lose tracking, and even when I watch it on DVD I will make that mental skip in my brain.

I’m fairly certain I had watched Real Ghostbusters a lot as a kid before that.

I honestly can’t even remember. That’s part of what I love about Ghostbusters. I’ve loved it for as long as I can remember.

I remember my Mom being the first Ghosthead in the family growing up. She introduced me to The Real Ghostbusters and even made me a jumpsuit and GB patches, but i can’t remember the first time I saw the movies. I know I had to have watched them just as much as the cartoon; VHS tapes full of episodes recorded off of the TV, good times. Is it bad that my Mom has beaten the NES game and I haven’t yet.

Quoted for truth…the first time someone told me it was a comedy I didn’t believe them. I think because I didn’t think of it in that way I still find it hard to laugh at the funny parts.

Seeing the comercials for the first movie in '84 and then talking about the movie at the bus stop. Then when ABC brodcast the movie I recorded it. After watching the movie over and over I found out that the library had the book Making Ghostbusters in the system, by microfiche, and getting it.

I think that’s the hook.

I saw the original movie at a drive-in theater with my parents when I was 4. I probably had my eyes closed for most of it because I really don’t remember that first viewing, beyond Venkman laying on the ground covered in what I interpreted as ghost blood.

A few years later, I got into the cartoon. I don’t remember exactly how, I think I just saw a commercial and it looked cool. Then my dad recorded the network television premiere of Ghostbusters on ABC. I wasn’t scared anymore and I’ve been hooked ever since.

I still have that tape, and I still have the alternate TV dialogue memorized, and it sometimes still throws me for a loop to hear the “real” dialogue. Seeing it in widescreen for the first time in the late 90’s was also a mind-blower.

When GB2 came out, my parents tricked me into thinking we were going to Sears, when actually we were going to the theater to see GB2.

My folks took me to see it when I was 3 in the theater. Soon as the Library Ghost changed I lost it. Had to sleep with a light on for 2 years. Lol but after that I was hooked. Lucky for me the cartoon and all the toys debuted 2 years later. I feel fortunate that I’ve seen both movies first run as well as RGB plus the experience of buying the toys still sticks with me. I can remember when I got my first 2 figures so clearly.

Ghostbusters and Temple of Doom were the first vhs tapes i remember my family getting. Watch, repeat, and wear em out! 1984 was a good year for movies and a great time to be a kid!

Wally Wick comes to mind. In later years when I got the actual movie on VHS I was shocked that he said dickless because I was sure he said Wally Wick even after seeing the movie in the theater.

I saw the first one on cable in the summer of '86, at my best friend’s house. Got scared half to death by the librarian, then utterly and completely fell in love with it. My friend taped it for me, and I watched it a zillion time afterwards. Then came the cardboard packs and RGB and GBII… Ah, good times. :smiley:

I was flipping through a TV listings and saw the entry for The Real Ghostbusters. I was like, “Hmm, what’s this about?”, flipped to the channel it was on, and that’s it.

I saw the original film in 1984 at 7years old…and I was hooked since

Saw it when I was 7. First day it came out in '84. The scene with the librarian scared me but after that I was hooked for life.

The Real Ghostbusters cartoon. Sadly I didn’t see the movie until years later when it was on VHS.

I was pretty young when GB2 came out, so I didn’t see it for a few years. GB1 was on TV all the time when I was a kid, and I watched The Real Ghostbusters because, well, everyone did, right?

The GB-related memory that has stuck with me most for all these years is sitting in my mom’s minivan drinking Ecto Cooler out of juice boxes and asking what kind of fruit “ecto” was. I must have been five.