1st time build- material to use for homemade motherboard?

Hey guys, I’m building my first pack. I purchased a styrene shell on ebay, and I plan on creating my own motherboard at home. Any suggestions as to the material and thickness to use?

1/8 aluminum or

1/8 mdf

Thanks!

I picked up a sheet of 30" x 20" x 1/8" Aluminum for a little under $30. I then used the $20 Black and Decker jig saw from walmart with the medium metal blade. It cut like butter. When doing a “turn” in the cut you want to cut further away from where your are going to allow room for the blade to turn easily… otherwise you end up with a bent blade.. They come in a two pack though so you should be good. Good Luck man and wear Safety Goggles!

You could also go to your local metal supplier and ask for “drop” material.

This way you pay by the pound rather than for the entire sheet.

This is true. In fact a guy I know said they have pieces that size if not bigger usually of “drop” metal that is dirt cheap. Hell if you know the guy they may just give it to you for free. Or if you don’t know them you could probably get it free with a purchase.. like say all the tubing you need.