Have motherboard tips?

So as most of you should know by now I’m working on a new pack with video game attachments. But I’ve been stuck on production partially because I’m without a motherboard. I purchased a shell as a complete noob in December and not until waaay into production I find out the shell wont fit (or match up) with motherboards out there because of some plating that is off.

WHAT CAN I DO??? I have zero knowledge what so ever on creating a mobo and I’m not exactly rolling in funds. :-?

Thanks.

The movie Mobo’s weren’t exact either. In the long run not many people are going to pay attention to the mobo, so it shouldn’t matter too much. BUT if it really bothers you buy a sheet of aluminum, trace your pack to it, and cut it out with a saw.

buy a sheet of MDF, trace around your pack and use a jigsaw to cut it out. Coat the whole MoBo in a few coats of MDF sealer. sand down and spray black :smiley:

Cheap and you get a perfect fit. Plus MDF is alot easier to drill/cut into than aluminium.

Is MDF strong enough to hold a pack together? Sorry if that’s a rediculous question.

Thanks for the responses so far, nick and Dan.

yes

MDF is pretty strong, so you wouldn’t have any trouble with it as long as you seal it.

I used 1/4" Luan plywood for the motherboard on my scratch-built pack and it’s held together without issue since 2006.

mdf is what they build arcade machines out of. it is strong but it will break at the corners if hit. it is extremely strong when support weight though. heavy as shit as well. my arcade weighs 375 with nothing but the monitor in it. add a game and controls and it is much heavier. the rear access door alone is 25lbs… for a pack i would say that a mobo would be 5lbs. could be off though…

Well with the words “High Density” right in the product name, you’d expect some weight to it! xD

yeah, except it is mdf, medium… id hate to see hdf…

d’oh! My bad!

most arcade cabinets i have seen have been made out of particle board or pressboard. whatever its called.

my friend’s neo geo MVS weighs about the same as yours, but with everything installed.

Is it easy to cut aluminum with a jigsaw or should I use a miter saw? I wanted to try making some upper pack fins out of aluminum…

Go to your local sheet metal fabricator, ask for 1/8" aluminum. Trace your pack (leave the extra width on the right side) and ask them to cut it. They will typically use a plasma torch, but may use a cutwheel. Most places charge 1$ a minute, so let them know you are in a budget of about $25 for labor, plus cost of the material. Let them know, too, that you can do the clean up (sanding burrs, etc.) I’ve done a few this way, spent $20 for 3 boards made from scrap.

Forget MDF. No offense, but it’s not accurate, bulky and you won’t be happy with it. If you take the time to make it, why not make it right? Good luck!

Very cool. Know of any chains that do this? Home Depot, Lows?

Oh okay. I already found some local places. Thanks!