A good place to look for Alice pack frames in the US is on eBay. That’s where I ordered mine. Where did you get yours?
Why go through all the trouble of ebay? Just join the Army or Marines, sign up for a 3-year hitch, go hang out in Iraq for two 18-month tours, and when you get back to the States, ask them very politely if you may keep your A.L.I.C.E. frame. They probably won’t let you, but it doesn’t hurt to ask. That’s how I’ll probably get one if I ever decide to build another pack.
I forget one of my dads friends was going somewhere to a surplus store and picked me out a good one. The straps are a little mismatched but you can’t tell too bad. I may look into that one day. As well as getting the movie accurate belt.
I picked a reproduction up at a local outdoors store. $20.
Chris
Mine on ebay, black, pre-wethered, $15!!!
SAl
wow on ebay 15?? who was selling it?
We have stores around my area (so cal) called GI Joes military surplus. $20.
thats definately easier…what was i thinking actually purchasing mine…i feel so dumb :walterpeck:
It’s OK, I made the same mistake of paying for one the hard way. I’ll do better next time.
Seriously though, if any of you are in college and your school has an ROTC program, go ask the commanding officer if they ever sell their old equipment. A.L.I.C.E. frames are still in use by the Army and ROTC trains with them. It might be a good way to score a cheap one that’s already been broken in.
They might still be used in ROTC programs, but they aren’t used any longer in the armed forces. I’ve got a buddy that had to actually hunt one down and requisition it specifically because he always wanted one (the frame and pack) and was never issued one. He’s been in the armed forces since late-80’s/early-90’s.
Someone on ebay is selling them for pretty cheap, I’ll be picking one up once I get back into the pack 100%
-Tyler
Actually, they are still used in the armed forces. My brother-in-law was stationed in Afghanistan about 3 years ago, and when he came back, he had an ALICE pack, and frame, with him. He was issued it by the military, and had to return it when he got back stateside. But, he was issued it, all the same. So, as of about 3 years ago, the Army was still using them, and issuing them as standard a standard part of their gear. I can’t, however, speak for any other branch.
Chris
You could buy from this guy… ask them if they have it in black. And tell them you want the straps GREEN.
The problem is now the shipping got a litle high… any ways i believe is the most affortable one out there.
CAZA
Speaking of Alice frames and the straps… am I wrong or did some of the straps in GBII seem really thick? Even in the reference photos I noticed it. I was just wondering if they custom padded the straps or something in GBII?
No, i believe they turned inside out. Meaning the part that normally has more cushoning is turning outside.
They might issue them at times and use them for some training but they have a newer plastic frame that is now the standard issue…