Hi everyone I’m lookin to do a ghost trap for my summer project and wanted to get some info from the experts here on which route to take for what I’m looking for.
I’ve looked around and have seen that making it out of MDF seems to be what everyone has been suggesting, I also see theirs a resin kit being offered up aswell.
Electronics - looking to do lights of coarse and would love to set it up to have the trap doors open and close not necessarily with the pedal though that would be nice.
really in the end I’d settle for having a nicely completed trap with lights by end of summer as long as I can upgrade the doors opening later, doesn’t have to be something thats added right away.
I don’t have that much experience making bigger sized prop builds but willing to give it a go since a nicely done trap and pack are my holy grails for my prop collection.
so any info, suggestions (which material is better to go with for what I’d like, best plans to go by, etc.) etc. I’d appreciate it greatly.
I’m using styrene (plastic sheets)for my trap build, if you use wood you’ll have to make sure you use enough filler to hide the wood grain.
If you search on google for Ghostbusters trap lights you’ll find a company called Hyperdyne who specialist in electronics for fan props. They do the lights and the mechanism for opening and closing the trap doors (pretty pricey - you’ve been warned) no-one else seems to do ready made electronic kits.
I’ve bought some bits and pieces from Nick-a-tron, great quality of product and service, look in the FOR SALE section to see what he has to offer. Irricanian can also provide parts for a trap and by all accounts his stuff is great too!
I’ve used Venkmans plans as they seemed like the easiest and most straight forward to follow.
Hope this helps. Speaking from my own experiance, take your time and you’ll end up with a great looking trap!
I’ll have to take a more closer look at the plans and see if styrene is a possible route for me cause I’m not sure if I even have the rights tools to do one out of wood, I’m assuming just a saw and sander mostly?
yea I’ve seen Hyperdynes stuff before really great stuff, I know him from the RPF so I know he does good work.
If you use mdf, I’d go with 1/4" thick, styrene would have to be 1/8" (use two sheets to get 1/4"). Something that may be worth looking into if you’re on a budget like I am would be using cardboard. Check out my thread here: http://www.gbfans.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13794
I actually ended up getting on the list for one of Colin’s kits, when it comes down to a pack sometime I may try a foamcore version first before I go all out. But the thickness stuff is good to know.