Battery Charging Noise

I purchased a pack back in 2013 and believe it or not the battery has lasted up until a few months ago. Granted I don’t wear it out and I just turn it on for a few mins here and there when friends want to see what it does. So I’m charging the battery for the very first time tonight. When I plug the charger in and flip the battery power on there’s a strange noise that seems to get louder and louder. I always unplug the charger after a few seconds since I don’t know if that noise will be followed by a big bang or what. Haha.

The battery is a 12V 9000mah Li-Ion, the blue brick kind. Is the sound normal more or less or is it time to replace the battery since it’s several years old. I think the pack was build years before I purchased it so the battery could be 5-7 years old at this point and hasn’t been charged since 2013.

I’m also wondering if the battery is supposed to bulge like it does. I probably should have paid closer attention before I plugged in the charger a few times. One side seems relatively flat while the other bulges a good bit.

That bulge definitely means its done. Replace ASAP.

Bulging LiPoly pack means the cells are gassing. Get that thing out of there ASAP.

Thanks guys. The more you know…

I’m going to try and carefully get it off the pack today. I’m not sure how the previous owner affixed it to the motherboard but I’m assuming it’s just Velcro’d on there. I don’t want to make things worse by puncturing it as I’m trying to remove it.

Where’s the best place to get a replacement these days? Any better options than a Li-Ion that will plug in without me having to mod anything?

Google 12V 9800 mAh and you should have several options to buy. I have seen them in the $30 range.

Thanks! Got the old battery off and dropped her off at a battery recycling place. And the new battery is on the way.

Good! That was about to become your pack’s self destruct mechanism :smiley:

Maybe I should have saved that old battery in case I want to build an RGB accurate pack complete with self destruct feature. Oh well. Haha!