Be Careful What You Wish For...

1 Like

Actually, this is better than I could have hoped because even if the movie isn’t great, it’s spurring geeks to show their true colors.

Everyone who rages and froths about this movie is another person I know to avoid. It isn’t even always about gender - the type of person who feels actual anger and hurt over a reboot being too different is the kind of person I don’t need to associate with because they clearly aren’t capable of sorting their emotional priorities and haven’t matured past ten years old. Nostalgic geek culture is pure poison. Even without its sexism and racism (which very definitely exist,) the fetishistic obsession over 80’s properties already went too far and makes people look pathetic.

I like ghostbusters because it’s fun. It’s not a damn RELIGION.

5 Likes

Another bash on ppl that don’t like this? Really? I’m sorry but the non haters are just as bad as the haters. They voice their opinion and name call just as much. Neither side is right. Thank you to every form of media for turning a beloved franchise into a hate vs non hate war. As to the original post. It’s creative. I’ll give it that. I did get a chuckle out of it.

1 Like

Who’s bashing people for not liking the reboot?

I’m bashing PURISTS. The worst of all fans, in all fandoms. People who get angry that reboots or spinoffs or changes exist at all. People who are elitist over their nostalgia and their childhood memories. They add nothing of value and ruin every fan community they touch.

4 Likes

It just goes to show that sentimentality has both its good side, and its ugly side. :smiley: :twisted:

Purists vs 
Taintists?

Yes, I like my fandom untainted by modern political activism and unnecessary “reimaginings” that changes everything I loved about it in the first place. People are passionate about different kinds of art, not just movies. Simply because you don’t give a shit if corporate powers skew that passion purely for the sake of making money doesn’t make you more superior or emotionally mature than diehard fans. If anything, it suggests that you probably didn’t care that much about Ghostbusters in the first place.

If you value something for what it is. Then someone comes along and changes every quality of that thing you valued (despite calling it the exact same name) it is no longer what you valued in the first place. It doesn’t say anything about a person’s emotional maturity - only what they truly place value in. I’m not a music aficionado, but I could imagine that if a person’s favorite band was replaced with all new band members and the style of the music changed, though they continued identifying with the same name as the former band, its diehard fanbase would understandably be irate. Why? Because they valued that particular artistic expression for what it was, and now you have imposters dragging their name through the dirt.

People who are looking forward to seeing the reboot aren’t any more blasĂ© about the original franchise as people who aren’t looking forward to the reboot. I really wish we could move past this ridiculous “you’re not a true enough/big enough/loyal enough fan” garbage.

Agreed.

I just don’t understand how finding a remake of a classic film insulting, is something to be looked down upon.

It’s those writers, and those actors, and filmmakers at that time and place, coming together and making a good movie. (and im speaking on behalf of any great movie). Im a fan of the movie, because im a fan of THOSE filmmakers.

Now, some schmo is hired to remake it and any criticism is unjust as being a ‘negative nancy’ or 'whiney fanboy"
haha yea, okay.

The reboot is obvious name-branding at its finest, sorry but it is. it’s as shallow as a puddle.

“But! Gb2 and RGB were cashgrabs too!” yeah, but they still maintained the same spirit and substance as the original film.

OK, people, this is not ■■■■ Germany marching into France and demanding everyone start singing “Watch over the Rhine”! This is a freakin Hollywood movie getting a reboot. Priorities ARE a bit screwy here.

Furthermore, this isn’t Ghostbusters: Special Edition. The originals are intact and perfectly fine. Nothing has been tainted.

Let’s be honest here, it’s not the reboot some fans are afraid of. They’re afraid the viewing public will start to prefer the reboot over the originals. To those fans I say, have a little faith in your favorite movie. And have a little faith in other people.

It’s like Hollywood making a Laurel and Hardy fanta-biopic and portraying them as two ■■■ and cocaine addicted bums. Sure, the real ones are still intact (sort of) but it would be outrageous.

Hmm, yes. Well, which part isn’t true? :mrgreen:

Then it would be just another outrageous chapter in that franchise’s history. Every franchise has them.

Um
no. Nobody is concerned the public will prefer this shitfest over the originals. The problem a lot of fans have is that something we love is now being associated with something we hate. And it’s hijacking the name and likeness of Ghostbusters like some kind of parody.

Then there’s nothing to be angry about.


Because that’s never happened before?

Because frankly, that’s already happened for me. I hate that the toxic side of fandom is associated with a movie I love (not singling out anyone here). Still, that doesn’t mean the movie is tainted for me.

The use of the word “toxic” in this forum lately


How else would you describe it?

Sometimes, a fresh director with a fresh crew can do good things. Look at how George handled the prequels and how Star wars 7 was done. Look how Indy4 was handled.

Not saying GB16 will be such a hit as SW7, or as bad as Indy4, but we had many people writing succesfull GB lore before, think cartoons and IDW comics and with Dan and Ivan helping out by giving ideas and stuff like the technobabble, I think we can give the movie a fair chance to proof itself in that regard.

I’m treating this movie the same way I did the nightmare on elm st remake. It was a pretty cool movie, jut not a pretty cool Freddy movie.

To me this movie will be a pretty cool ghost movie, just not a Ghostbusters movie. More like the scream parodies :smiley:

I do appreciate the ironic use of the previous franchise-ruining Ghostbusters iteration to make this point.

Not sure I get your point


a fair point.

But, all those SW and Indy films were all in set within the official lore, continuity, and story of said universe, even with new directors/writers ( i believe each Indy film had different writers) . Not remade. what made SW7 a success was because it opened up for the future while still keeping connection with the past having the original characters (han, lea, luke, etc. ) that people loved returning.

Again, the writers of the IDW series, are sticking close to the source material and keeping within the original feel and characters..without even the help of Ivan or Dan.