THE EXCUSES WILL FLOW

Mark my words, no matter how god awful this movie will be, the people that have defended it will see it & throw every excuse out there just so they won’t have to eat their words:

“It wasn’t as bad as I thought it was going to be” or"My kids loved it!" Of course your kids would love it dumbass, they don’t have you [as their parent] to say, "This is not representative of Ghostbusters." :sigh:

4 Likes

It’s not the fans’ fault. I don’t blame any one of them for wanting this movie to be good, even if they refuse to see the writing on the wall. I don’t think a single person on this board asked for a film that they would have to defend, a film that would ostracize the very people who have wanted it for so long, or a film that sidelines the franchise. I blame Sony and feig for their tone-deaf screen play; they saw inactivity of the franchise as a sign of apathy, and boy were they wrong. I also blame Dan for jumping on bandwagon and dismissing the fans for voicing disapproval (if you want to see how a professional and a gentleman handles the heat, look no further than Ivan).

Murray made the right call after he saw what “too many hands in the kitchen” did to GB2. It’s the same realization that came to me while watching TFA - we asked for more, and now we got it, and you all know WHO got it in the end. Sometimes, you shouldn’t want more.

A good chunk of the folks who are planning to see it/looking forward to seeing it have said they’ll be honest if it’s not up to snuff.

For what it’s worth, I’ll say this ahead of my own viewing: I really dislike the female Slimer, and wish they hadn’t included it in the film.

You aren’t gonna get a green card with that attitude, pal.

The only excuses you’ll hear from me either way are (in no particular order):

*I watched Ghostbusters II on TV for the first time in forever.

*The original cast got together on a talk show, also for the first time in forever.

*Dan Aykroyd talked about the Blues Mobile and Ecto-1 on Jay Leno’s Garage.

*A Ghostbusters book was dedicated to Harold Ramis.

*My favorite movie review podcast (Now Playing) is finally given an excuse to do a Ghostbusters retrospective.

*Madame Tussauds is doing a Ghostbusters Experience.

*I can see Ghostbusters gear outside my Macy’s window.

*I’ve seen the Ghostbusters logo on several subway walls.

*I’ve been able to purchase freakin Twinkies with the Ghostbusters logo on the packaging.

*I’ve met many fellow fans I wouldn’t have otherwise.

*Finally…it’s just a movie. :wink:

There is no way I can call this experience a loss. :slight_smile:

Doesn’t this line of thinking go both ways? People who are vehemently against the reboot will refuse to see anything of value, just like the people who are blindly for it, won’t see any negative.

Exactly!

And we could add more and more to that list.

  • Matty Figures at Wal-Mart

  • Ecto Minis

  • New arcade at Dave and Busters

  • Themed drinks at Dave and Busters

  • New Stern pinball machine

  • New TV series coming out

  • Ghost Corps

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: When I first heard about this movie, I was ticked. But after a few days I figured that even if the movie completely sucked to me I’d probably still benefit from it with new merch. I ended up getting pretty hyped when filming started and photos were leaking but then my hype kinda ended with the first trailer. I REALLY didn’t like that first trailer. But then more trailers came out and I thought “Okay, maybe this won’t be so bad after all”. Now I’m somewhere in the middle because a couple of the new TV spots just aren’t doing it for me. But I’m going to be there next Friday to watch the movie and as others have said, I’ll be honest with my thoughts after I see it. I have no skin in this game. If the movie sucks, I’ll say it sucks. I didn’t act in it. I didn’t write the script. There’s no kind of gain for me to lie and say it was awesome. Maybe a few people will lie just to save face but I think the majority will be honest. Most of the people I know on these boards are optimistic about the movie but all admit that they have fears. I don’t really know any GB fan who is screaming from the rooftops that this movie will for sure rock. It’s all either this movie will for sure suck or we’ll have to wait and see. At the end of the day, I think we’ve all benefited from this movie. The franchise is back in full force and I’m loving it! Wal-Mart has freaking back to school No-Ghost notepads.

And just like that, ANYONE who potentially has ANYTHING positive to say about the reboot is ONLY making excuses. Painting with broad strokes there.

What if someone thinks the movie wasn’t good but found some enjoyment out of it anyway? Is that an excuse? I can think of several movies that I KNOW were bad movies and still found something to keep me entertained.

As far as trailers are concerned, Star Trek Beyond has laughably exposed the man behind the curtain for me. Its trailers feel like they’re from completely different movies. It’s just all tricks and manipulation and panicky studio execs trying to figure out what the audience wants.

At the end of the day, the safest bet is that Ghostbusters (2016) will mostly resemble Feig’s other comedies. If you like them, you’ll probably like this, and it goes the other way as well.

Yeah really, what ever happened to guilty pleasures? Nowadays a movie must either be a “masterpiece” (ugh) or a “travesty.” People take themselves and their movies far too seriously.

Is this the ‘SonofSamhain will apologise for all his hate filled posts’ thread?

Kingpin, you’ve been very courteous, frank, and open about the new film and willing to give it the benefit of the doubt… may I ask you something?

This is the third such comment I’ve seen from you regarding something in the teasers (you mentioned the ■■■■■■■, dick shooting, and now female Slimer as really cringey). From where you were 6 months ago, how are you feeling about this movie since then? Has your interest or hopes waned at all? Honest question.

So in essence, we aren’t allowed to like any part of the reboot at all. Just like looking forward to the reboot means we’re idiots and sell outs. Right…

And you guys wounder why you takes so much heat. Bully logic…you’re right no matter what happens huh?

I’m even not expecting the film to be great. I’m expecting it to be fun. But apparently I’m not allowed too.

Well, working from examples posted by members of this very forum, they could be:

*A Sony plant, or someone who’s been bought off by Sony.

*Desperate for any sort of merchandise or material that happens to bear the Ghostbusters name and logo.

*deluded/living in denial about the film.

:whatever:

Compared to six months ago, I think I am a bit more excited to see the reboot, something that’s likely the result of the marketing push… however as noted in the examples you’ve mentioned, it’s not without a degree of apprehension, maybe even concern… or at least cringing at some of the content (Patty’s stage dive, the squashed faces, and “the power of Patty” are a couple of others). Naturally, based off of what we’ve already seen, we’re left to wonder what’s still lurking in the shadows.

I’m hoping that the best case scenario is that the film will be a handful of cringe moments in an otherwise enjoyable flick.

Certainly from an action and visuals perspective, I’m digging the Times Square battle and the look of the ghosts… but that’s purely flash, and not the story substance of the film.

The basic story looks to be alright, a general origin story, with the aforementioned cringe moments. Again, I’m hoping that the story itself is average-to-okay, I know it won’t be spectacular, but I hope it won’t be terrible.

-Not least, because two of my friends that I’d be seeing it with at a second showing may likely be seeing it because of my growing enthusiasm for it, and I don’t want them to have to endure a bad experience, and for me to see it a second time if I didn’t enjoy it for the first viewing.

Did that make sense? I think I lost my train of thought there for a moment and might’ve waffled.

Look folks, no one is denying that it’s great that we have new GB merchandise, but all of that stuff would’ve came out anyway simply due to the fact that it’s a theatrical release of a GB film. No big secret there as toys, t-shirts, games, etc. were produced from the start of the RGB series onward. My point is, a new movie was going to happen one way or another, but it didn’t have to be this bad–it didn’t have to be “bad” at all. GB16 seriously looks unwatchable.

1 Like

The reaction didn’t have to be this bad either.

Point of note, Sony have pulled the female slimer TV spot.

Sheesh, lol. You know, I’m really thinking test screenings are the reason movies are so screwy lately. Studios listening to every little gripe until there’s nothing resembling a movie left.

People are only calling it like they see it & what they’ve seen so far is just not a great representation of the Ghostbusters name.

And they see it like it’s the end of humanity.