Can't we all just get along?

[This was going to be a response to one of the topics about the latest leaked photos, but I think this deserves to be said where everyone can see it. It’s late here in the UK, and I apologise if this is tipsy rambling, but it sadens me to see this community being split in half.]

If I may explain a bit of personal background for a moment…

I am used to being viewed as the “token miserable old git” on a UK theme park forum that will remain nameless. (I’ve actually built a name for myself on that and now play on it for comic effect). I am used to having people criticise my posts as being nothing but moaning and complaining. I am also old and wise enough to realise that not everyone shares the same opinion.

I am not a fan of reboots, regardless of the subject matter. My personal feelings on this are that it would only take a small tweak to turn this in to a “torch passing” film that could please everyone.

… HOWEVER, I am not going to hold a personal vendetta against anyone for liking the reboot. What does upset me is seeing a fandom - that I admit I am still a relatively new member of - being split down the middle over this. Yes, I am going to be vocal and say I don’t like things (and at the moment I am struggeling to find something to be positive about. Believe me, I have tried). But are we not all Ghostheads at the end of the day? Can’t we all just smoke the Neutrino Wand shaped hookah of peace and get along?

It’s not for me, but to those of you that are excited over this film, well, I wish you the best of luck. Hell, your excitement makes me happy as a fellow fan.

I have yet to attend a convention in GB gear as my pack build has bearly started. But when I do, if I meet someone dressed in reboot gear (regardless of gender, do we even need to go there?) I will not judge them for it. No more than I would judge someone dressed as Darth Maul compared to Darth Vader. We all know Phantom Menace had it’s flaws, but if you are a fan, good for you!

Maybe it’s because it’s half four in the morning here. Maybe it’s the rum talking. But seriously, can’t we all just get along?

GB3 is goingo to be like Star Wars 7 for me. I remain cautiously optimistic until proven otherwise.

Maybe this will change your mind about Episode 7:

If anything, that made me all the more hopeful. I’d read that JJ Abrams was bringing back practical effects. I’m hoping GB 3 is done in the same vein. :slight_smile:

Any effort for a truce is welcome.

I think most gb fans would have preferered a good sequel (or none at all) with the passing of the torch story, giving a respectful nod to the original ghosbusters and remain in the same universe.

I agree, a reboot can be interpreted like a “scratch all that, let’s start anew, lets improve on it” when we all cringe at the thought of improving something we’ve all loved as it is it for decades. We identify with it as it is!

But I have room for the old and new ghostbusters. I was so excited when the first movie came out! Now am also excited for the fact that there’s going to be another ghostbusters movie being made!

Yes, it is a shame that this community is split in half and I find all the ranting and whining really immature sometimes, with the fat jokes, the sexist jokes, the sexual orientation jokes even. Not a good show. People outside have noticed it, starting to call us fans men-children.

True as well, someone pointed out that as brutal as some comments are, they’re many times also hilarious as hell…

But perhaps we all should give some thought to the fact that what goes on the internet, stays there forever. Our ranting and whining and sometimes offending remarks will forever stay here, as long as the net exists, as a testament of our (in)capacity to deal with reality in a mature and respectful way.

I cant agree more. And all i can say is NO ONE IS MESSING WITH THE ORIGINALS! we still have our gospel to go by that remains untouched. Think about the live action TMNT movies, would i have rather them have one done one and two and stopped and gotten a “reboot” later on EVEN if it was bad HELL YEA. This movie will not RUIN the first 2 in any way! Since its disconnected in every way in its OWN world with its own reasons its good/bad. This is like saying our movies RUINED filmations Ghostbusters! lol and everyone is entitled to feel how they feel, but in the long run we LOVE OUR GHOSTBUSTERS so who cares man, if someone tells me they LOVE ghostbusters im going to give them a hug not grill them on WHICH ghostbusters they love!

I’m not even talking about anyone who likes the new movie. I’m just discussing the elements of the new movie as a Ghostbusters fan. Stop being so sensitive. Don’t develop a victim complex because people are disagreeing with what you like.

2 Likes

Nice wordin, Tex.

As it stands from most of the comments I’ve read on various places. Alot of the long time fans have not outspoken anything offensive or disheartening. They’ve expressed their concerns in a more “I’m a tradionalist/why update what’s been just fine for years” perspective. The casual movie going fans are the one outcrying the “eff Paul Fieg!” Etc.

Unfair to lump the fans with something to actually say with the trolling rejects.

It wasn’t aimed at any one person. And I can assure you I’m not taking anyone’s posts personally. :wink:

My point was that we should be able to discuss what we do and don’t like about the new film, without things getting nasty. I’ve seen it happen before on other forums many times, and I can see it heading that way on here very soon.

Believe me, I’m not being sensitive (my internet skin is incredibly thick). I’m just trying to keep things civilised before they get out of hand. :slight_smile:

same. I say give it a chance. Im on the fence as far as hoping it will tank, and hoping its really good. Im gonna see it regardless. at the very least for kate mckinnon :love:

Yeah not too happy they’re ditching the expanded Star Wars universe.

I’m not either because two of my sons are named after expanded universe characters. But it is what it is. The house of mouse has spoken.

I think the real issue is to criticize without being mean. There’s a huge difference in saying “That car looks like s**t” and “The car doesn’t really do anything for me”. It’s cool to have opinions, but back it up/be prepared to defend it and don’t be judgemental towards those that don’t share your opinions.

Definitely! As a fan of what I’ve seen so far I am OK with hearing what you don’t like about this or that, but when it comes across as declarative fact it’s a bit much. Also, when someone uses the true fan argument or something similar to say why you shouldn’t be happy about the film.

Says the guy getting defensive over a post promoting togetherness that wasn’t directed at him.

I agree with Smeghead. Even if I hated the reboot or end up thinking it’s bad, wouldn’t it be nice to show those who do like it that being a Ghostbusters fan is inclusive and welcoming? It’s been a pretty disappointing awakening to see how many people who love the original as much as I do spew sexist, even racist, and universally entitled garbage over a movie they don’t ever have to acknowledge. Thankfully, as the reboot gets further into production, I have seen more and more moderate fans coming out of the woodwork or even coming off the fence.

Calling the reboot GB3 is brings shame to the original two. I will continue to call the reboot Feig-busters or GB-reboot. Or “disaster of biblical proportions”.

Star Wars EP7 is far ahead Feig-busters. Why? Because the original characters and actors are coming back. I am looking forward to seeing EP7. I am already planning to dress up in SW gear with the Rebel Legion for the opening in December. I have no such enthusiasm for Feig-busters. As such I have no plans to coordinate an appearance for its opening.

just as a point of fact this is not GB3 this is GB reboot

I posted this on Proton Charging or GB News’ facebook:

Everybody, just because this new flick is happening doesn’t mean the the originals will disappear. Why? We simply won’t let that happen. We supported this fandom for 30 years. And a lot of us that have the classic gear will still sport it (hell with as much time and effort along with money to build the equipment? It would be foolish to just give that up) Will there be people who only sport this new stuff and this will be their introduction to Ghostbusters? Absolutely. But the best we can hope for is that it makes people discover what made us fans of the originals in the first place. Because I’m not putting my gear up anytime soon and I know there are a lot of you out there that feel the same. As I’ve said in prior posts I’m slowly warming up to this new film. Slowly. But this pic of the ladies is showing that it’s at least trying. I honestly see much more of a Real Ghostbusters cartoon vibe to the whole production. I mean Kate McKinnon looks like the cartoon Egon. So basically the trailer will probably be the deciding factor to a lot of on the fence fans. So until then we wait and continue to do what we’ve been doing for 30 years

I was never under the whole “ruin my childhood” , “way to destroy the original” mindset. I always thought that was stupid.

You can’t destroy a great piece of cinematic history…and you sure can’t recapture it either…

There’s just certain movies in history that you don’t remake. (jaws, gone with the wind, godfather, etc to name a few) There were people that work very hard to create something original and/or iconic, and its unjust to try and recapture it “as your own”.

I was mostly angered by the greed, deception, and media interference of this whole thing, especially since its pretty much the only fuel its got. On top of the fact that I really don’t enjoy alot of new movies, just the same thing over and over with no substance. (How many times can we watch the same CGi superheroes with 3D glasses on people?)

That being said, I don’t think the movie will be “THAT” bad. I just don’t agree with it and its pretty pointless, when everyone remembers the original quite fondly.

One thing that bothers me is that people are now using the “my daughter/sister/niece” will finally have a role models. That to me feels like a slap in the face to all the lady GB’s in this community that have suited up just like the guys for years. Plus you’ve had Janine, Kylie and Ortiz who are strong female characters in the GB universe. But they too get overlooked as well. Granted the comics have probably a more specialized audience but I’ve seen them neglected along side all the amazing women we have in this community. I’m sorry but Wiig, McCarthy, Jones and McKinnon are not the first Lady GB’s not by a long shot.

Overall I think this film will be well received but wont be this world changing event that will undo 30 plus years of GB Fandom. People will be sporting this new scaled back, stripped down gear, so what? There have been so many innovations with in this community in terms of accuarcy and ingenuity that we’ve got a 30 year head start. Guys, think about that. Ghostbusters will be 60 by the time this movie( if it stays relevant in the community) gets to the age we live in now with our knowledge of the films, cartoons and comics both in terms of props and accuracy.

Also, movie goer’s today don’t have the same type of attention that they did 30 years ago. Not with the constant bombardment of the internet, social media and such. Ghostbusters, like Star Wars, Trek, Doctor Who, etc, have such dedicated fanbases due to the fact that they started at a simpler time when they were fresh and original. That’s what made the impact on the fans. Alot of folks are excited for this new movie, because it’s new. It’s something different. I mean you could make a case that all this new stuff is so plain so that it can be easily replicated. If that’s Feig’s way to play, good for him for trying to make peace with fans. But Ghostbusters is very special to alot of us. Why else do we go to the trouble of making and wearing all this equipment, knowing the movies word for word and devouring any type of merchandise that comes our way?

It’s sad to me that this reimagining (I will not call it a reboot because it’s not) has caused a damn near civil war with in this community. Remeber this site was originally call GBProps and it was a site for GBfans to come together, to discuss the films and share tips and tricks on building the equipment. that’s what made this community. Our love of Ghostbusters. If a reimaging has enough power to divide a fan base so badly, then maybe our priorities to this fandom need to be reevaluated. I’ll admit that I’ve not been a supporter of this film. I’m not a fan of Feig or McCarthy’s work. But it may be a nice homage to the fandom or it could fall flat on it’s face. But I don’t think this film has the kind of power to be the be all end all final word as to what Ghostbusters is and will be for years to come.