One prop I’ve always wanted to make was Marty’s jacket in BTTF II. I’ve been looking everywhere for the orange rubber material on the jacket. Well I came across something on a ping pong paddle that might be close.
Any ideas?
.jpeg)
One prop I’ve always wanted to make was Marty’s jacket in BTTF II. I’ve been looking everywhere for the orange rubber material on the jacket. Well I came across something on a ping pong paddle that might be close.
Any ideas?
.jpeg)
that’s a lot if paddles
One time for a cave diving trip, one of my coworkers couldn’t find a wet suit in his size. Since the water was near 50 degrees, one was absolutely needed. We ordered a bulk package of 200 multicolored mousepads for 20 bucks on ebay. Then we sewed them together and made the crappiest looking and worst functioning wet suit in the world. Seeing the paddle reminded me of that.
Excellent! Sell them to the Federal Government at a price tag of $35,000 each. ![]()
couldnt you use a fine dimple dot fabric?
Or if you want it like rubber, I’m sure there is some anti slip stuff similar to that
Lawrence
I made one for my son last halloween.
The material isn’t accurate, but it looks decent.
-Charles
Great work on that!
Is that made from the anti slip stuff?
Lawrence
Yes.
Its still different then the real stuff, which doesn’t look anything like ping pong paddle material by the way.
and thats a replica jacket (in the first post), check screenused.com for photos of the real jackets.
Ooooh that’s awesome! Your kid is totally privilaged to have one of them. Can I ask what you used for the cuff and hem? I ended up using car transmission belts, they have that perferated edge to them but they’re still not 100% right. If you could help me out I’d appreciate it
I forgot about this thread actually but man, that’s an awesome jacket you made for your son. He’s lucky.
I realized after I posted the pic that it was a replica piece… it’s pretty dead on though except for the light color gray. Any idea what the fabric is they used on the real prop? Not sure if it was custom made or not, and it looks to be layered over the gray rubber. I could be wrong about that though.
The grey is made of a type of rubber as I recall reading from the www.bttf.com boards, but what i found easier to use was grey fabric, dense trouser fabric, its got a dull shine to it and looks pretty good, was hard to find a colour match, it has an ever so slight tint of blue in the movies. For the red, I just used dense water resistant fabric, again reflective but not the grid reflective pattern.