My attempt at a BTTF 2 2015 Jacket (Pic Intensive)

If there’s any movie I love more that Ghostbusters it has to be the Back to the Future trilogy. Recently my friend (The Roach On Twelve)and I have decided to explore making Marty McFly costumes. He wanted to make an 1985 costume and since I already had one I decided to attempt the 2015 self adjusting jacket. I found a pretty easy tutorial on TheRPF on how to make one, so here’s my attempt at the jacket. Keep in mind I am a poor college student so it might not be the most accurate but hopefully it’ll look somewhat decent…

I apologize in advance for my picture quality.

So far the hardest part was finding a plain grey jacket…after looking at different stores, goodwills, ect. I finally found one at Cabelas for $17

For the texture of the coat I used red kitchen drawer liner that I bought at Kmart for $8 (needed 2 rolls)

Here’s the front of the jacket with the texture:

For the sleeve cuffs/ waist I bought this piping from Home Depot for $3 (got 10 feet worth of it)

Here’s the first sleeve done:

Picked up reflectors at Kmart for the sides of the jacket for $1 each

Found really neat fabric that I’m going to use for the sleeve straps/ pockets of the jacket which was $1 (bought 2 sheets to play it safe)

I really wanted to do the “bellowed” sleeves but I couldn’t find anything that would work. (plus I didn’t want to cut up the jacket) so instead I’m using weather stripping to simulate the look of the sleeves rolled up already.

I had my local comic shop order me in the hat because I’d rather buy it from the local shop/ a friend then to go through amazon or what not.

Any tips or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Pretty cool. Doesn’t look to bad.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Ghostbusters Fans on Android

Thanks budd! I’m still working on it and probably won’t have it finished for another couple of days.

Well, I spent ALL day working on this. So about 12 hours. And this is what I have. The last thing I plan on doing is making the waist cuff and installing speakers for sound. But here is my 85% completed jacket…

WOW!

At first I saw the jacket and was like.. Grey? Isn’t the jacket red?

Now that I see the near finished jacket, I gotta say that thing looks awesome!

The only question is.. can it auto dry?

THAT. is dedication. well done! I’m assuming you have a pink hoverboard to complete the effect…

I have a piece of dryer vent and I’m just going to follow him around and blow into it.

Looking really good! I like that you turned your pockets inside out too. Don’t forget to pick up the Sports Almanac, your future may depend on it!

That is AWESOME! I love it.

The new pictures are great. Awesome work bro.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Ghostbusters Fans on Android

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate all the positive feedback!

Not yet! I feel like there’s a way to pull that effect off with an air canister or something but that is beyond my building skills

I do plan on ripping the audio and creating a playlist so I can just plug my ipod into the jacket so I can play the sound track and actual parts from the movie so it’ll say, “Your jacket is now dry” sequence, “Size adjusting, fit” and Michael jackson talking about tortilla pitas, and of course “beat it”

Not yet. Unfortunately I missed out on Mattys board so I’m either going to attempt to build one from foam core or have someone do a commission on it.

That’s on the Christmas list! :slight_smile:

Mainly because if I ever don’t want to do 2015 for some reason I just need a black leather jacket/ fedora to do the 1955 “inconspicuous marty” and just have it rolled up in my back pocket.

That jacket is looking really good!

At first I was a little confused by the weather stripping but seeing it on there definitely looks the part.

I’m know others on the boards have built hoverboards that look perfect… Jackdoud in particular has a very nice looking one on his prop collection site.

I would check his out for a list of materials and methods on building your own.

Slight update. Got to actually hang out in a Delorean this weekend. It wasn’t decked out in time machine parts but it was still a pretty giddy moment for me.

Awesome.

Capt Chuck

I am ready to believe you!

I really dig your style, McFly. I was hoping to pull off a similar thing with the self-drying jacket for my own Part II Marty cosplay, since that appears to be the hardest thing to make/find. I will have the hoverboard though.

Right on! This is really well done. I’ve always thought about trying to make one but never knew where to start. Well done indeed!

That’s pretty great!! Good job! The last picture makes it all worth it, nice shoes!