Construction Pics - Proton Gun

If you notice anything I’m doing wrong, please be sure to fill me in. Next step is to carefully cut the power cell out, and

Paint it. I’m still waiting to hear back from exoray if his ‘slightly fudged’ parts are still available…then it’s on to ordering the rest of the pieces needed.

Found out we don’t have any styrene to melt and re-inforce…so will have to use something else…

Close up of plastic cut

http://tweetphoto.com/7607070

Excess Plastic

http://tweetphoto.com/7607128

Cut Cycletron lights

http://tweetphoto.com/7689081

You need a dremel.

Yeah, I used a different tool just to get started. We will dremel it just to clean it up.

Or a jigsaw and some patience.

Looks good so far!

http://tweetphoto.com/8004777

Quick very rough paint job

What are you painting with? Brushes? It looks way too thick to dry properly, and if you’re using brushes I’d recommend using the sponge kind at the very least so you won’t get streaks.

yep, brush. I’ll see if we have one of those around.

Now after the power cell gets cut out, I just have to order parts and second or third coats on it.

Cut out the power supply.

Bit of a slight accident trying to clear away the excess with a box knife. But nothing major. Just a cut a few band aids won’t cure.

Those dremels sure move fast though. Could probably loose a finger with one.

How many passes of paint do most people use on their pack? The only place where streaks really showed was on the cycletron using the brush. All the other areas dried up nicely.

Putting in the order for the bumper, and ion arm today along with three other parts. After those are gotten, I’m assuming everything else can be found either online or at Home Depot?

Also, how much do the electronic LED’s for power and cycletron lights, along with sound effect ones usually cost?

Thanks :slight_smile:

You shouldn’t use brushes! Why didn’t you use spray paint? Well as far as pack lights you proptronix that’s the light kits that I run,also exoray sells light and sound kits. Prorptronix light kits run $180.00 for pack and gun kit both damn cheap and very high quality,go to exoray for the sound.

The light kits and sound doesn’t come cheap,you can use pvc for the injector tubes and filler tubes or you can buy all that stuff from Irri,if you have any questions about the rest of your build just drop me a PM! I have one of Austins shells,been there done that.

Now Spray painted… .Turns out we had some lurking around after all…

Put in the order for exoray parts today. Going to use dremel to clean the outer edges up tomorrow. Turning out nicely so far.

http://tweetphoto.com/8148997

Quick question

Painting leaves brush strokes, spray painting leaves streaks. How does one get rid of the streaks left behind by the can method?

Still waiting on parts from exoray, with payment sent, so can’t do much else now. What other parts can I attach now and not worry about falling off when I try and drill in holes for the bumper?

Just have to spray on extremely thin layers. Having good spraypaint helps too.

Start by waiting for the pack to dry, then going over it with fine grit sandpaper to smooth it all out. After you’ve done that, hit it with spray paint again…make sure you shake the can fully, spray paint within the right temperatures (not out in the cold), hold the can a few feet away, and give it light coats. You always want to lightly coat with spraypaint and use multiple coats, as if you try and paint it all with one coat you get runs like in the photo where the paint builds up and runs down.

Thanks for that bit of info. I re-sanded it before I read the replies. Cleared out most of the blotches. It definetley looks much better on second try. A few less streaks. Only they say spray paint in a ventilated area, and I’m working on the work warehouse, where we had to spray out side. Although I moved it inside quickly to dry.

http://tweetphoto.com/8291185 Updated photo. I’ll try and bring the good

camera in for a more detailed shot. But this time around looks much smoother.

Can I install the electronics next? Or should I try and re-enforce it before I do anything else?

We don’t have any styrene to melt for a permanent re-enforcement that won’t fall off,

so what would be the next best thing to use?

I wouldn’t worry about the electronics until you have everything else installed, personally.

Shouldn’t need to reinforce the shell at all really…unless it’s super thin. My vacform shell was pretty thick and holds it’s shape well even when it’s bumped around.

Next step you want to start spray painting and attaching all your other parts. I installed the electronics in mine last. Cut a couple of blocks of wood to go inside the shell around the edges and corners (not the whole edge, just certain areas) so that you have something to attach the shell to the motherboard with. Will also help stabalize things like the gun mount, bumper mount area, and injector tubes.

Your getting there,just take your time.

Now I’m left with a decision, now that part of my order arrived from Exoray. Do I cut the NFilter to fit the pack, or do I have to wind up cutting the proton pack? I’m almost afraid to use the dremel on it for fear of tearing it to shreds…

Thanks :slight_smile:

http://tweetphoto.com/10240779

edit - all of the order. Some parts look smaller in person than they do in the photo. Thanks exo :).

YES dremels can cut your fingers clean off…

Because im left handed the blade rotates in the wrong direction to use a dremel in the left hand, the blade is supposed to spin outwards so if you slip it flies away from you… not the case in the left hand… if you miss or skid.. the blade comes spinning into the other hand which was holding what you were trying to cut…

I almost lost my right thumb for cutting out my slo-blo box…