Cyclotron Lights

Found a great kit here: FK118 Rotating Chaser Kit, 16 LEDs

It has 16 LEDs, with 4 on at a time, so each lens is super bright. It could be possible to rig up the different colors like in GB:TVG. I’ll post pictures and possibly a video tomorrow.

Very cool find! Looks like you can power it with a 9v battery as well and the clips is just an additional 95 cents.

Wonder how long the leads for the leds are, or if you need to order ones with longer leads?

I’ll try to upload this on GBfans later, it’s not wanting to go through right now. Until then…

A couple pics-

Yeah, that’s right. I’m hiding the 9V inside the N-Filter. Now thats a full load of awesome sauce right there.

The inside and the electronic spider-

The LEDs are mounted in cardboard with a dab of hot glue to hold it in place.

Gareee, I just got regular LEDs with it, so I used telephone wire to extend the leads. It meant about an hour and a half of wire stripping and soldering but it was worth it. And it comes with the 9V connector.

Wonder why they light the 9v connector separately then? Shrugs.. one less item to buy.

I’m thinking this same circuit could also be used for the power cell as well. Granted, not as nice as 16 leds fireing in a row, but if the cycle is fast enough, it’ll ■■■■ the eye into thinking they are firing in sequence.

Nice place to hide it as well… :wink:

Question: do you have refelectors as lenses in your cyclotron in front of the leds? They might diffuse that light, so it doesn’t look obviously like 4 leds.

Not sure a deflector would do it, alone, G. At the very least he’d still have to back the LED’s away since they’re so intense to letthe reflectors scatter the light.

If you’re gonna want to diffuse the light i’d consider either reversing their direction into some bright material behind them or putting some type of frosted material under the lenses and backing off the LED’s.

Looks nice though!

I got away with 5 powercell lights sequencing and only 3 in the gun display and it’s still pretty convincing, so 4 should be ok. The trick is that the lights will be on at the same time on the cyc and on the powercell which is a little telling. I had the advantage with the Trainsetelectronics sequencer to have 11 outputs so I could make sure NOTHING was ever on at the same time on the pack. 5 in the cell, 4 in the cyc, and even a couple of blinkies to fill out the 11 outputs. THen I doubled up on some of them for the gun with 3 in the readout and 2 blinking by themselves on top of the gun.

What I’d do if I were you is buy 2 of these sets so you can separate the power cell and the cyclotron a little better…make them independant of one another in timing and potentially in speed.

Good find!

G

Thats what I was thinking.. a seperate kit for the cyclotron and a for the power cell..

Bak makes a 10 led in a row kits as well.. only thing is they charge a LOT for the blue LEDS… $9 for 10 blue LEDS sounds high to me.. and thats with short leads as well, and you’d need longer leads, I think.

First off the lenses are plastic, colored with Sharpie. I might redo it later, but for now it’s fine.

I did find a kit for the Power Cell lights, but…umm, I kinda destroyed it with poor soldering. I plan on buying another kit when I do my next three packs. When I bought the kit a couple months ago, Electronic Goldmine had a sale on blue LEDs, something like 4 for a dollar. They change stock fairly often, so check back. They might run it again.

In the mean time, here are links to the kit.

10 LED Sequential Flasher

http://www.goldmine-elec-products.com/prodinfo.asp?number=C4431

Bak’s 10 led chaser is almost 1/3rd less then that one. We’ll have to be watchful of christmas specials and deals.

Gotta love POTS 4 wire. Hooray for Telephone wire!

I was looking through Bakatronics today and found this kit: The Ultimate Welding kit. It does sound, throws random sparks, bright white flashes and could simulate a glowing tip.

Pretty expensive, but how cool would it be to using for the firing sequence?

I found a VERY cheap cyclotron circuit… one of those batter led pumpkin light things. It has a rotting sequence, and I’ll have to unweld the leds, and add wires to them, but if you hide 2 of the 6 leds, you get a fine cycle! Its a tad fast, but I think it’ll do just fine!

Best, we bought them last year for under a buck a pop!

Now we’ll see how well my unwelding skills are…

Bought the same kit, and it works great!! Thanks!

I saw how you used the board from bakatronics, here are some other ones you could also use:

For the power cell, cool if you don’t care about accuracy.

for the cyclotron, you don’t have to put on all the LED’s.