Cyclotron ring idea.

Kinda found this out last week while going through some stuff.

Everyone’s seen the cheap Hasbro Qui-Gon Jin and Obi-Wan extendable lightsabers, right? Well, I noticed the sizes of the emitter heads are very similar to the rings/washers on the cyclotron…

Both have and inside diameter of 1-3/8" and can hold the red lenses.

The Qui-Gon saber is 2-1/4" outside diameter and the Obi-Wan saber has a 2-3/8" outside diameter. Since the top 2 washers on the cyclotron are smaller than the bottom ones this works out perfectly…

The idea would be to cut the emitter heads off about 1/8" under the edge of the ring and insert the entire piece into corresponding holes on the cyclotron. Might have to fudge it a little but it might work.

Just a thought.

Darrin

They look good, but isn’t that a lot more expensive and trouble some than picking up some rubber/plastic/ or alluminum washers? They might be more accurate, so for that reason its a cool idea.

isn’t there a law for defiling the lightsaber??? I’m only kidding. they do look the part, but I really have to agree with thegreatgallina on this…a lot of work that most wont put into it. but a great find non the less

I remember past posts where folks had a heck of a time finding the correct metal washers or had trouble cutting them by hand so this is just another alternative. If I had to do mine all over again, I’d probably take a quick mold of the 2 lightsaber rings and cast them out of resin.

ooh, good point…

Seriously great solution to the cyclo rings. I have about a dozen of these things at home.

Or you could buy one of these off eBay!

image

Just a suggestion!

One could but it would defeat the purpose of having the two distinct sizes of rings on the cyclotron, which was the whole point of the thread.

I do apologise! or should that be apologize? The bottom rings are slightly smaller but not by that much as it’s not noticable in the picture obviously. I will try to correct that problem on the mould.

Well I wasn’t really commenting on your cyclotron directly, just that your post seemed a little out of place in this thread.

Man, I gotta learn how to make moulds!

I know, i thought i’d get a bit of free advertising in that’s all.Bit of a cheap shot i know :cool:

:-?

I had no idea they differed in size though, thanks for the info…

Yep, the bottom rings are slightly smaller than the top rings…

Most people don’t catch this but it’s necessary for the N-filter to fit properly.

Ok so we’ve established that the bottom rings are smaller, good. Why is it then that after looking at the plans on this very site there is no reference to this being the case, all of the plans show all rings as th same size (please correct me if i’m wong). I do agree that they look slightly smaller but who is really that bothered anyway. As long as it looks as good as possible right? Why destroy a toy lightsaber? There’s so much more help from this site that can give you as good results! Just my opinion but i’m sure i’ll be e-shot for it!

First off the plans are fan made plans, they were made and graciously provided to the community for free… The plans are an extrapolation of measurements from reference photos, they are not actual blue prints or technical drawings from the source… So to complain (or taunt with them as you did in your post) about them not being perfect is a little rude to the authors, they are not perfect or 100% accurate (and most long time members know this) but at this time they are the best we have thanks to the time and effort of those who authored them…

Who is bothered by the same size rings? People like me that strive to build the most accurate replica not a kit bashed it’s close enough version… As it stands right now I’m over $2000 in the hole and I have not even started to build my pack… I didn’t spend that money to simply get close enough it looks good, I want my pack to be as close to the real deal as possible (within my means) when it’s done…

Some people are happy with a Tupperware or dollar store replica while others strive to get as perfect as they can and yet others fall all over the middle, that is the way this hobby is… So when you asked “who is really that bothered anyway.” some people like me might take comment as a jab in the ribs…

Also as stated above without the difference in ring size and location the N-filter simply will not fit correctly… This N-filter not fitting correctly is the reason people took a closer look at the rings and discovered the size difference…

Exoray as much as i love you i have to argue. Never would i complain or slag off anybody’s plans as they are what i used for my own packs, How can i suggest that other peoples work that they, like myself, have spent hours of their lives perfecting is of amusement to me. I was actually meaning to stick up for them. Agreed paying $2000 would push me to strive for perfection but you’re talking about a such a small aspect of the great proton pack. Some people are happy to neglect a few millimeters (or 16ths of an inch for the American viewers) for a ring around the cyclotron lights. Please don’t take my British tone for ■■■■ taking! I mean it in good spirit (excuse the ghostbusters pun!). Your UK friend, JT94 :cool:

You have to study the pictures on the site if you want to include all the details. This is not something everyone does and that’s fine. Most people just want a set of plans to follow and Stefan’s plans are the best out there. Not every detail is listed so addtional research is necessary if you want to take it up a notch.

You’d be surprised. The eagle-eyes here can spot an incorrect cyclotron form a mile away. It’s generally the first thing that draws the eye and if it looks off, then the rest of the pack looks off. Sorry, but that’s how it is when you’re dealing with this prop. If an area of the pack looks off (like the cylcotron), then it doesn’t look as good as possible, right?

Seems odd I know, but it’s just an observance I had one day at work. Kids use the Hasbro sabers in the Star Wars show at Disneyland (I’m the prop master) and I noticed they’re very close in size so I thought I’d just pass the info along as a contribution to the site. People like to substitute pre-fab parts whenever possible.

Probably so, but it appears that you missed that info when you were building your cylcotron.

Just MY opinion.

Mmmmm, i see your point, no offence intended.