Man, I had a ball at this years Decatur Callithumpian Parade. All the kids were chanting “Ghostbuster, Ghostbuster” and I knew they were talking about me. For my GB costume, I’ve done the impossible, or at least it’s equivalent that looked cool to the kids. I’ve created a proton beam. It’s based on the technology behind the toy versions of lightsabers. It’s pretty much a clear plastic tube painted transparent yellow, with blue tissue paper wrapped around it for the lightning bolts. Now, the tissue paper didn’t light up like I hoped it would, but when that beam light up, the kids were applauding. One kid even wanted to touch it, but I told him he shouldn’t because it’ll send his molecules on separate vacations. :lol: There was this one little girl who, when the beam lit up, she jumped back in suprise. I even startled a few radio announcers who were covering the event. God, I love Halloween!
Anyway, after the parade I went over to the American Legion building where the judging was to take place. There were many good costumes there. One of the categories was Disney characters and this whole group went up to the front for the judging and it turns out, with the exception of a girl dressed as Captain Jack Sparrow, all the people in that group were related to each other. Can you believe that. They must’ve been two families because half of them were dressed as the cast of Alice In Wonderland and the other half was dresses as the cast of Peter Pan. Another couple was dressed as a St. Louis Cardinals player carrying a tiger and a Cardinal bird and they almost got disqualified because one of the judges was a Tigers fan :lol: (I hope everyone got the joke.)
Anyway, my costume was part of the last category. I was up against Chucky from Childs Play with his bride and a little kid dressed as Zorro. I might’ve come in third if another contestant dressed as a lamp shade hadn’t mentioned to show the judges the lights going off on my pack. And for an added effect, I lit the beam and busted Chucky and Tiffany, I think that’s the characters name, someone check that for me. Anyhow, I got first and won 20 bucks. 9 months of hard work putting the whole costume together have finally paid off, literaly, figeratively, and really! I’m a happy Ghostbuster and can’t wait for next year. I might try my hand at a Skeletor costume, but then I might not get the praise I got as one of the boys (and girls) in grey.
Pictures of me in my costume are available in the Halloween 2006 pic thread.