Ecto-1 roof rack how to?

Is there a roof rack how to out there? Was wondering since I could not find one.

There is no definitive tutorial on how to build a roof rack. However, an important question to ask yourself is whether you want to make a screen-accurate or original design rack. Either way, the Ecto-1 (post-restoration) section has some pretty good shots of all of the components.

http://www.gbfans.com/equipment/reference/31/

Of course, bear in mind that even the original car is no longer “screen-accurate” due to some of the liberties taken during the restoration process.

Not that I know of.

Study all the threads here and look at Theecto1.com

I am looking to go more for the Ecto-1a style of racks. I want to start getting all my parts for it so I am ready to build it once I have a donnor car.

Check out Ecto-1A Racks on wikihow…

What kind of Ecto are you looking to build? A pro-car ambulance/hearse with a screen-accurate roof rack, or a modern-day Ecto with a similar 1-A rack (i.e. satellite dish, tank, LED boards, etc.)?

http://www.gbfans.com/equipment/reference/19/

This diagram of the ERTL Ecto-1a gives a pretty good breakdown of the various components on the car.

![image](http://www.gbfans.com/images/pb/wraithofmusic/GB2 Belt_gb2_behind_the_scenes01.gif)

Oh my god I am SO posting this whenever someone asks me how to build an ecto. FROM NOW ON.

Well I am going to try and find a meteor if I can but if not some thing close to it as I can. I am torn between the Ecto-1a and the game style Ecto roof racks though

DON’T DO THIS.

You’ll look stupid driving around with a trash can on your roof.

Okay now I am lost on what type of material to build the rack out of.

Stuff that is not water-soluble.

Okay like steel wood pvc. If I cant find a meteor I will go with an older suv of some kind as my Ecto.

Steel wood pvc is the probably the best material you can use, it’s light…strong and is easy to use.

1 Like

The worst thing about steel wood pvc is when it rusts rots melts.

where do i get the equipment for the roof please help im a novice lol

1 Like

The same place Barris did. You have to build it. The only real piece you can ‘purchase’ are the yellow o2 tanks on the driver’s side. The rest is literally built from raw materials, assembled, and painted.

The basic components:

The cage: The steel or aluminum frame. It’s a square frame with a cab overhang on the front, an aerial on the rear driver side, and a ladder on the rear passenger side. Also a mount for the Directional Antenna offset in the rear.

O2 tanks: Two on the driver’s side

Storange tank: the greenish long tube on the passenger’s side, opposite the 02 tanks.

‘tv’ antenna/sniffer tower: twin barrels from a box, mounted atop a round tower

radome: cone-like structure mounted atop the aerial on the rear driver’s side cage

the tray: the open white box that sits in the cage, with a boxed unit with rib details in the rear section

control box: metal control box at the rear passenger side, with a long electrical hose that mounts on the side of the car behind the ladder

fan box: white box at the front of the passenger side with a fan unit inside

directional antenna: clear half-dome with a red ‘arrow’ on a platform that mounts on the backend of the roof rack.

That’s the main roof rack itself. You’ll also need a jet plane strobe for the center front cab overhang, a federal siren, and a propelloray light.

Four deck lights, and two Code 3XL lightbars.

I recommend using aluminum and PVC board for the construction. Plywood is great if you only need it to survive for 21 days while shooting a movie in 1984.

3 Likes

Just to clear something up again. Barris did not build the Ecto. He has built replicas but he DID NOT build the original or the 1A.

http://www.gbfans.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=3196

He must have meant the same way Steven Dane did…

When it comes to roof racks it really depends on what you have to work with. I mean many people don’t have as much roof space as a hearse or ambulance to work with. If you want to do a 1:1 scale rack from the movie, then there are a lot of components to buy as well as many to build from scratch.

Buy:

Propelloray beacon

Federal C5GB Siren

Grimes Aircraft Strobe light

O2 Oxygen tanks with A6 regulators

Blue drain hose (used on RVs)

Grey liquid tight Electrical conduit, with connector

Code 3 Force 4 XL5000 Lightbars

4 Par 46 Deck Lights

Various Heat Sinks

Saw Mandrel to attach Clear Radomw

Build:

Fan Box

Sniffer

Clear Radar with red arrow antenna

Radome

Cross Sensitivity Unit

Roof Rack

Ladder

Radome Stand

Storage Tube

I’m sure I forgot something but that is a basic list of the components on the roof…

1 Like

ok this is only from what im learning from building my rack ( this week ) … i built up a wood full size rack and mounted all my stuff on it and in it … and then put it on the car to look at it for overall size …

I ended up resizing the rack some to better to fix the car…

so the rack spec for the 59 cad is a lot bigger than a 83 cad …( dont get it )

but the take away here is

build in cheap wood and use it to scale it to your car … because its not cheap to build a metal rack and then have to cut it down and rewield…

o ya dont use a early 80 caddy …LOL…

Alright now, let’s play nice.

Ramcuda, what style of Rack are you going for? GB1? GB2? Custom?